New DTV Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anthony2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
I am having DirecTV installed on Thursday (after more than 6 years with Dish). The install will be for 2 rooms with a DVR R15 in each. Programming will include the Total Choice Premier package (no additional HD or internationals). I live in New York. Question: Which dish should I expect to be installed - the 18" round or the Phase 3 Oval? I have heard the oval does better with rain fade. Thanks in advance.

dragon

Is the Phase III the standard now for installs (non HD?)

reason I ask is what happens if your locals are on 101...would you get the single 18" dish or the Phase III?

dragon002 said:
no rain fade difference as long as each is peaked properly.

even if its peaked properly, you may still get rain fade :)
(the larger the dish, the less rain fade you will have)

Iceberg said:
even if its peaked properly, you may still get rain fade :)
(the larger the dish, the less rain fade you will have)

That is the reason I will not give up my AT-9 for the new slimline 5 LNB unit!!!

As soon as the weather breaks and gets a tad warmer its rain-x time!!!!

I thought I read the "slim-line" dish would house an improved LNB pack, and although the dish's dimensions would be slightly different than the current AT9, the overall surface area and gain would be the same, or somewhat improved. ?

well i have little doubt the new LNB pack will be "better" but since the advertise it as lower profile and lighter weight, the only way to do this is to use less metal and that would stand to reson the dish would be smaller.

Why can't the new LNB pack be improved; maybe lower temp/dB value?

Also, lower profile can equal not as tall. Lighter can mean a different composite metal used or no metal at all (fiberglass or carbon fiber). Neither of which has any direct relation to the surface area or gain (performance) of the dish.

Current AT9: (H)25.5" x (W)29.5" = 752.25 sq"

New COULD be: (H)21" x (W)36" = 756 sq"
OR: (H)22.5" x (W)34" = 765 sq"

These are both larger, yet still lower profile. These sizes are just speculation as I have not read the new dimensions yet, but it proves the point that lower profile doesn't mean "smaller".

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
dragon

Is the Phase III the standard now for installs (non HD?)

reason I ask is what happens if your locals are on 101...would you get the single 18" dish or the Phase III?

hey iceberg,

it all depends on what the installer has on his truck, i am in the Fargo DMA which is a triple sat market, but i travel to the Bemidji area which is a MPLS DMA, a 101 market, and i only put up TRIPLE SAT dishes cause thats all we have. so it all depends

urnote

I'm in the Mpls DMA too (actually in Mpls). Its weird that Bemidji is still in the DMA (evcen though they're 200 miles away from Mpls) :D

I just wondered because my neighbor just got Direct and they gave him a single dish but where our cabin is (Aitkin County) they use Phase III (even though they are in Mpls DMA...maybe because Duluth is on 119 and the county line is maybe 20 miles away)

charper1 said:
Why can't the new LNB pack be improved; maybe lower temp/dB value?

Also, lower profile can equal not as tall. Lighter can mean a different composite metal used or no metal at all (fiberglass or carbon fiber). Neither of which has any direct relation to the surface area or gain (performance) of the dish.

Current AT9: (H)25.5" x (W)29.5" = 752.25 sq"

New COULD be: (H)21" x (W)36" = 756 sq"
OR: (H)22.5" x (W)34" = 765 sq"

These are both larger, yet still lower profile. These sizes are just speculation as I have not read the new dimensions yet, but it proves the point that lower profile doesn't mean "smaller".

I think you got me backwards there. I said the LNB PACK will be improved.

How is using carbon fibre going to LOWER costs? And carbon fibre is not a smooth surface. And metal composites will be higher cost for an item they are giving away.
could be fiberglass, with gel coat it would be as smooth as glass but again costs would go up not down.

My guess is that D* believe they have the LNB pack set in away that will allow them to make the dish smaller enough to get one more dish out of the roll of metal they use and therefor more product out of the material.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)