New DTV service in Panama

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tonydix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
Bocas del Toro, Panama
A large number of bright red 1 metre Ku dishes are sprouting up around here. They all have the legend "Claro" printed on them.
I believe they are receiving transmissions from Intelsat 1R at 50 West.
Lyngsat does not seem to have any info about these transmissions.
Does anyone have any further details about this development ?
Thanks
Tony

The Mexican communications company America Movil, owns and operates the brand name Claro.
Claro is now operating in Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Dominican Republic, EL Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala , Nicaragua, Paraguay, Perú, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, and Panama.
In many of these countries Claro also operates internet, phone and cable tv services, as well as the satellite tv service.

By the way, I understand that at least in Central America, Claro is using a Coship 8102 receiver with MPEG4, DVBS-2, 8psk, etc capabilites.

It would be interesting to learn more about that box, in case you have more access to that info locally.

Last edited:
Oh Claro.....I head to read it a couple times. I thought you said They all have the legend "Charo" printed on them. ;)

Oh Claro.....I head to read it a couple times. I thought you said They all have the legend "Charo" printed on them. ;)

Charo never never had the best reception in our house when I was growing up especially from my mom, however dad thought she was quite a dish!! :D

IN PUERTO RICO CLARO IS TO EXPENSIVE AND THEY ARE USING AMC 21 FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BECAUSE THEY ARE THE PR TELEPHONE COMPANY AND SOON THEY WILL OFFER THEIR SERVICE THRU FIBER OPTIC LINES SO THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE THEIR TELEPHONE HOMES SERVICE THEY CAN OFFER THEM TV SERVICE

Interesting that they are using fiber optics in Puerto Rico. A few years ago when I worked for the telephone consulting company I had to deal with the "Telefonica De La Puerto Rico" (I think that is what the Spanish translation was :) ) and from what I heard from my stores there (Regis Corporation..the hair people) that the phone lines were horrible there and a pain to get new ones installed especially in malls. Now maybe residential is different but commercial was a pain.

Interesting that they are using fiber optics in Puerto Rico. A few years ago when I worked for the telephone consulting company I had to deal with the "Telefonica De La Puerto Rico" (I think that is what the Spanish translation was :) ) and from what I heard from my stores there (Regis Corporation..the hair people) that the phone lines were horrible there and a pain to get new ones installed especially in malls. Now maybe residential is different but commercial was a pain.

Yeah Carlos Slim from America movil brought the company and yes the PRTC was bad because it belong to the goverment after they sold everything change and the cables companies here in Puerto Rico are offering Telephone service too with cables and it's been hurting them to now PRTC Claro is fighting back having a tv cable system themselves.
Yes PRTC Iceburg was real bad in service for both comercial and residential

Yeah Carlos Slim from America movil brought the company and yes the PRTC was bad because it belong to the goverment after they sold everything change and the cables companies here in Puerto Rico are offering Telephone service too with cables and it's been hurting them to now PRTC Claro is fighting back having a tv cable system themselves.
Yes PRTC Iceburg was real bad in service for both comercial and residential

I wonder if I´ll ever see the day that Carlos Slim enters the TV market in his own country :)D), apparently he has Satellite TV all over Latin America (with Claro TV, Telmex TV, Net in Brazil) except in Mexico.

correct friendly, furthermore Claro TV works in format MPG4, I need to buy a small box to test

Yep as I mentioned before, I understand in Central America Claro is using a Coship 8102 box, not sure if they´re using the same box in PR.

I wonder if I´ll ever see the day that Carlos Slim enters the TV market in his own country :)D), apparently he has Satellite TV all over Latin America (with Claro TV, Telmex TV, Net in Brazil) except in Mexico.

Yep as I mentioned before, I understand in Central America Claro is using a Coship 8102 box, not sure if they´re using the same box in PR.
Yup that's the same box that they are using here in Puerto Rico

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)