New Dual Tuner OTA Adapter

OK, with the dual tuner USB dongle and the OTA antenna pilot program (47 DMA's?) including install of the OTA antenna, I hope this means Dish will get serious about about getting ALL data including all OTA sub-channels. We've heard it could be a technical limitation (LIL data stream would be too big) or even about money. I have hope the engineers at Echostar can solve the massive amount of data to populate so many MORE local channels that include the sub-channels. I've always thought that they could send some of the data via internet since vast majority of Hopper family boxes are connected to it.

Out of 51 OTA channels, 14 have no guide data and 2 have incorrect guide data. Over 25% missing data....

That doesn't include 5 OTA channels that get no guide data that I delete from the scanned list.
I am pleased for your situation, but with 186 OTA channels here, the mojority do NOT have guide data including some of the most well programmed english language sub-channels. It is a over 50% missing here. As for the precise number, I don't remember, and want to count them again, but nothing has changed from when I did count them.

I still don't understand why they can't work with Echostar, that manufactures the channel master dvr, and let us plug in to the internet for complete guide information for all ota channels and sub channels. This is do-able and an easy fix that would make all people happy. All they need is a software download to enable this feature so we could get complete guide information.
Considering that the problem may be the size of data for all those sub-channels on the digital stream for download via sat, sending all or part of it via internet may, indeed, be the solution Dish may employ. And they should also allow the use of PSIP as a backup for those without internet connection or if Gracenote gets snippy so we aren't in a situation with no gudie data at all.

BTW, the CM DVR+ uses the formerly Rovi (who bought and changed its name to TiVo) service for EPG. Many TiVo users are very displeased with Rovi's (now named TiVo) EPG data. In fact, some of the program descriptions aren't even that, but like a general review of the program with no episode data.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I really don't consider having 25% missing to be a good thing or acceptable. Your case is obviously worse.
I think there was a misunderstanding of your post when he replied, I took it as you are posting here, 25% is not good. I wish we could know the real reason DISH doesn't have all the OTA guide data. All trails lead to money so I'm guessing that. However DISH is obviously on a campaign about the cost of locals even before the breakout of cost on the bill, it would seem to further their cause it would be better to have all the data for OTA.

It's not Dish, it's the guide service they subscribe to. Why should they be responsible for guide data on hundreds (thousands nationwide) of sub channels. They are a satellite service. Maybe you should go over to DirecTV where they have discontinued the OAT tuner. At least Dish is coming out with a new one.

It's not Dish, it's the guide service they subscribe to. Why should they be responsible for guide data on hundreds (thousands nationwide) of sub channels. They are a satellite service.
Dish still has to get it to customer's receivers. I question the whole "bandwidth" story, as in, all of this local channel guide data takes up too much bandwidth. It's primarily text, which can be compressed a crazy amount.

It's not Dish, it's the guide service they subscribe to. Why should they be responsible for guide data on hundreds (thousands nationwide) of sub channels. They are a satellite service. Maybe you should go over to DirecTV where they have discontinued the OAT tuner. At least Dish is coming out with a new one.

It is NOT the guide service. It is DISH. The guide service provides all that sub channel data. Dish just doesn't map the data to the subchannels in the data stream, so the receivers have nothing to show but the generic default DIGITAL CHANNEL.
Tivo used the same guide data service for years and they provided all the subchannel listings nationwide. Unfortunately now that Tivo has switched to their crappy in house service from the new Rovi/Tivo, the listings are there for about 88-90% of customers, but much of the data just sucks.

Reactions: ekilgus and DWS44
This seems like an accurate guide listing. :)

IMG_4549.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I'm just glad the thing stopped making my receiver reboot itself. There's still an issue where for some reason, the OTA channel being viewed loses signal and causes an entire reboot. If watching OTA on joey, and it happens, the hopper reboots. It's not as common as it was in October, but occasionally it still rears it's head.

Reactions: Yragha
You mean having 2 hoppers, each with a OTA adapter?

I don't think that would work..
even still, guide data isn't populated on the OTA channels. But currently still just in single OTA mode.

Wonder if you can have 2 dual tuners (4 OTA) to then have PTAT w/o having locals from Dish?
Only (1) single-tuner module works today. Dish feels one is enough? So it doesn't seem likely that they'll basically quadruple this capability with the new tuner. They're doubling what was possible before...

Reactions: DWS44
in the context of discussing PTAT (big 4 networks), it almost always is.

...and Hall was responding in kind to a black/white statement that it isn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts