New Duplicate +Channels Appearing in Guide

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jireynolds

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I noticed that there are new duplicate HD channels appearing in my guide. The duplicate channel has a + designation next to the name. For instance, I have 2 channel 206s. The usual 206 ESPNHD and 206 +ESPNHD. The programming appears to be the same, although I believe I saw 2 different commercials being played when I switched back and forth between the regular and plus channel. Anyone know what this is? I'm curious.

Here's a full channel list of the + channels appearing in my guide:
206 +ESPNHD
209 +ESPN2H
229 +HGTVHD
231 +foodHD
237 +BRVOHD
241 + SpikeH
242 +USAHD
244 +SyfyHD
245 +TNTHD
248 +FXHD
249 +COMHD
252 +LIFEHD
265 +A&EHD
278 +DSCHD
280 +TLCHD
311 +ABCFHD
331 +MTVHD
335 +VH1HD
355 +CNBCHD

I spoke to a friend and he does not have the plus channels appearing in his guide. Here's a pic of the guide showing the +channels
2011-08-29 21.20.25-1.jpg

Attachments

• RZ5Jo.jpg
    RZ5Jo.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 220
  • o0zyw.jpg
    o0zyw.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 219
JerseyMatt, Thanks for not helping in any way with your response. I did search (quickly) before posting and wasn't able to find anything. The largest thread I was finally able to find on the topic is titled "This is Weird" (You could have at least mentioned that to point me in the right direction), which I didn't find in my search. Also, all the threads I have found about this haven't had an answer as to what the duplicates are there for.....So I'm just posing the question again. If I would have found one of the other posts to begin with I would have asked there.

I might not post a lot on here, but I've been a member of this site quite a lot longer than you have. We almost have the same birthday. Only 1 day apart ;-)

If you've been here longer than me, you should've known to search, if you want to play that card. And you've already found the answer by searching: We don't know.

Searching for the word duplicate, the first reply in the second result - (from last week) says nobody knows, and a few replies later you get the link to the weird thread.

Asking the same question over and over doesn't make people know the answer.

Just sayin'.

Last edited:
maybe its related to NOMAD????
As I posted yesterday I am hearing (but have not confirmed) that the + channels are the channels that have agreements in place with DIRECTV so that you can transfer recordings from those channels to your portable device using a Nomad.

This looks intresting when it comes out

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Last edited:
As I posted yesterday I am hearing (but have not confirmed) that the + channels are the channels that have agreements in place with DIRECTV so that you can transfer recordings from those channels to your portable device using a Nomad.

Ok but then why would they need to appear as duplicate channels in the guide then? Nomad shouldn't care what the guide is.

I also noticed that you don't see these extra wastes of space if you use custom favorites lists. I only saw this for the first time when I needed to unhide SD duplicates when Hurricane Irene took out Ka band. I was seeing 3 channels for certain networks (SD, HD, +HD), not to mention there are VOD versions in the Ch 1000+ range. Talk about cluttered and confusing. I was glad when Irene left and I could hide SD duplicates and revert to my "FAVs" list.

Another rumor I heard is that the +HD's were for testing local ad insertion. I remember in one of the investor talks, they spoke about local advertising. Not sure how far they've made with that. I take it that local ad's are downloaded to a reserved area on your hard drive after hours using PUSH bandwidth, and on certain channels a key signal would be sent to seamlessly playback the local ad at it's intended time-slot. I thought maybe the +HD channel was a version with just that extra signaling for testing purposes only. I'm sure something like that needs to be tested before making it live.

cypherstream said:
Ok but then why would they need to appear as duplicate channels in the guide then? Nomad shouldn't care what the guide is.

I also noticed that you don't see these extra wastes of space if you use custom favorites lists. I only saw this for the first time when I needed to unhide SD duplicates when Hurricane Irene took out Ka band. I was seeing 3 channels for certain networks (SD, HD, +HD), not to mention there are VOD versions in the Ch 1000+ range. Talk about cluttered and confusing. I was glad when Irene left and I could hide SD duplicates and revert to my "FAVs" list.

Another rumor I heard is that the +HD's were for testing local ad insertion. I remember in one of the investor talks, they spoke about local advertising. Not sure how far they've made with that. I take it that local ad's are downloaded to a reserved area on your hard drive after hours using PUSH bandwidth, and on certain channels a key signal would be sent to seamlessly playback the local ad at it's intended time-slot. I thought maybe the +HD channel was a version with just that extra signaling for testing purposes only. I'm sure something like that needs to be tested before making it live.

IF this is true, what you mentioned about Local Advertising, then it may also be an area where they could actaully get a local radar for your area, like the real Local on the 8's instead of the genaric one they use now, more like Cable is allowed....
I know their Local on the 8's have come along, but still not quite there.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

You have a favorites list in operation. It's the same reason you don't automatically see new channels/new HD when they're added, you have to go add them to your list manually. Change your guide view to All Channels and you'll see them.

You have a favorites list in operation. It's the same reason you don't automatically see new channels/new HD when they're added, you have to go add them to your list manually. Change your guide view to All Channels and you'll see them.

Not sure about that entirely, My HR20-700 in the bedroom is on All Channels and doesn't have the + channels listed, but the HR24 does.
The HR24 is up to date on the latest CE software and the HR20 is probably running NR or a CE from a month ago on it.

I wonder if it's CE related, or particular recvr models.

It's on all my receivers (as long as custom lists are off). Two HR24 (one with latest CE, one with National), one H24 (National), and one H21 (national). Dunno..

Jimbo said:
Not sure about that entirely, My HR20-700 in the bedroom is on All Channels and doesn't have the + channels listed, but the HR24 does.
The HR24 is up to date on the latest CE software and the HR20 is probably running NR or a CE from a month ago on it.

I wonder if it's CE related, or particular recvr models.

You also need to have the IAMANEDGECUTTER keyword search activated which enables the Misc Options menu for sending error reports.

If that IS enabled, then maybe addressable, local advertising only works on certain DVRs with the right amount of hard drive space and the right behind the scenes code to make it happen.

You also need to have the IAMANEDGECUTTER keyword search activated which enables the Misc Options menu for sending error reports.

If that IS enabled, then maybe addressable, local advertising only works on certain DVRs with the right amount of hard drive space and the right behind the scenes code to make it happen.

Nope, my H21 has never been used for CE. IAMANEDGECUTTER is not activated on that one, yet it has the + channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)