New DVR - How can I start using it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

garnerjusa

Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
SC
I've just upgraded from the Standard Receiver to the Directv DVR Receiver. The DVR has been activated, ie. i have active satellite television on my DVR. However, it's acting as a standard receiver since I was unable to activate DVR service at this time. According to the Directv person I spoke with over the phone, I need to have a service dispatched, and the price will be $150 to have someone from Directv "run a second line" for DVR service. I declined the service call, and did a little detective work of my own.

I do in fact have two lines coming into the home from my satellite. They both go into what is called a "Multi-Switch" in my attic, and from the switch I have three lines running to each of the rooms in my home which have wall-outlets for cable/satellite. I am only using one of these lines. I only want to use one of the lines, and I want it to be my DVR service.

Can someone clear up for me exactly what I need to do or how I need to reconfigure the wiring so that I can have the DVR service? can I reposition the multiswitch somehow so that I can have it in the room by the television?

HELP! Thanks in advance!

You need to have 2 cables going to the back of your RCVR from dish/multiswitch to make your dvr work, one for each tuner, unless you have a SWM unit (single wire unit) which I really don't know much about. But I know others here do.

Ace

You should still be able "to DVR" even with only one line/ tuner connected (assuming you have a dual tuner model), I ran my HR20 like this for weeks before I had time to run my additional line. Which DVR did you get? Some of the comments are not jiving to me. WHy do you need a tech sent to activate DVR service?

What are you seeing that makes you think you don't have DVR service? While you can only record one show, and can't watch a show other than the one you are recording (unless it is a previously recorded program), two lines are not required. We have 2 DVRs in bedrooms that only have a single line running to them. (and 2 with 2 lines running to them)

You will not have full functionality without multiple lines, but it will still work fine.

IF it's acting like a regular rec. ....
It sounds to me like you do not have the DVR portion active, you need to contact D* to activate the DVR functionality.
You said it's acting like a normal rec., that would be my guess.

Jimbo

Thanks for all the responses. Here's some more details for anyone who wants to help me out. Of course my DVR will work with the single line, but of course I can record ONLY the line I am watching. I want to have the full functionality of the DVR, and I want to run the second line myself. I'm just not sure how to do that.

Can someone help me out?

Like I said: I have two lines from the satellite. Both are going directly to a multi-switch in the attic, and from that switch three lines are going to three separate rooms in the home. What is the easiest way to get a second line into the back of my DVR so I can record on one channel and watch the other, or record two channels at once, etc?

Does anyone have any advice?

If I "run a second line" to my DVR, what does that entail? Do I have to take the line out of the multiswitch? Can I put another multiswitch in the room with the DVR? Can I just split the line from another room and send it directly through the wall to my DVR? (that would be a heck of a lot easier than dropping another one down into the wall from the attic).

Remember, at this point in time the only other option I've been given is 150 bucks to directv. I don't want to do that. I can do this myself, I just want to do it the fastes and easiest way possible. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all the responses. Here's some more details for anyone who wants to help me out. Of course my DVR will work with the single line, but of course I can record ONLY the line I am watching. I want to have the full functionality of the DVR, and I want to run the second line myself. I'm just not sure how to do that.

Can someone help me out?

Like I said: I have two lines from the satellite. Both are going directly to a multi-switch in the attic, and from that switch three lines are going to three separate rooms in the home. What is the easiest way to get a second line into the back of my DVR so I can record on one channel and watch the other, or record two channels at once, etc?

Does anyone have any advice?

If I "run a second line" to my DVR, what does that entail? Do I have to take the line out of the multiswitch? Can I put another multiswitch in the room with the DVR? Can I just split the line from another room and send it directly through the wall to my DVR? (that would be a heck of a lot easier than dropping another one down into the wall from the attic).

Remember, at this point in time the only other option I've been given is 150 bucks to directv. I don't want to do that. I can do this myself, I just want to do it the fastes and easiest way possible. Thanks in advance!

If you say you have 2 lines at the wall plate (from previous post) where does that other line go and is it being used ?
IF it's not being used, can you run a line from the MS (in the attic) to where the other wall plate line goes to and connect them with a barrel.
What MS are you currently using (WB68, I hope) and how many rec's are you using and total tuners (2 tuners for a DVR).

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)