Resolution Problem-Rcvr or TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaveO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
This has happened on my HR20-100s and now my replacement HR22-100 (was another problem).

"Sometimes" when I tune to a HD channel my tv screen turns bright white and the actual channel is faintly visible. Tuning to another channel fixes it to the proper resolution most times, or, if I go to the receiver and hold down the res button it will change the resolution to one that works correctly.

My tv is a Toshiba 50", model listedin my s/n. I don't think it's the receiver as both did it, but what could be causing the problem with my tv?? It's hooked up with component cables as the DVI (only available on that tv) is used by my DVD player.

My guess is that your receiver is sending a resolution to the TV that isn't supported. Go into the receiver menus and remove the resolution that your TV doesn't spport.

Depending on the age of that display; would check the owner's guide to see if those component IN's are 480p ONLY or if they support HD resolutions. Many older components IN's DO NOT support over 480p as I have read. OR maybe its a simple setup issue. Some older units also do not like more than one advanced device connected at the same time as the display "shares" the connection in some small way. So it a either / or situation. Either use the component OR use the DVI, but not both. These are only guesses as I am looking for the manual online.

Are you using 720p on the DirecTV unit? If so pg 10 seems to indicate that the display will only do 480p or 1080i via component (no ability to scale 720p). If I am reading that wrong I am sorry but maybe someone with more info on this TV can tell from the manual posted. It really sounds like a setup issue to me at this point. Good luck with it! Hope something posted helps out.

Depending on the age of that display; would check the owner's guide to see if those component IN's are 480p ONLY or if they support HD resolutions. Many older components IN's DO NOT support over 480p as I have read. OR maybe its a simple setup issue. Some older units also do not like more than one advanced device connected at the same time as the display "shares" the connection in some small way. So it a either / or situation. Either use the component OR use the DVI, but not both. These are only guesses as I am looking for the manual online.

It must be a tv setup issue. I've made a few changes and we'll see how it goes. This has only been happening the past 4-6 months or so, and not all the time. Seems like it happened after an dvr update.

However, looking at the manual, it says "suggested scan rates": 1080i, 480p, 480i, DVI/HDCP, HDCP compliant, E-EDID 1.3 compliant, DVI-D connection.

So, IIRC this only happens when it lands on a channel that is 780i resolution, because when I hold down the res button it jumps to 1080i and things clear up.

Gonna go in the receiver setup and take out the *checked* 780i resolution entry.

Thanks. I think this will nail it.

On a side note; what type of DVD player are you using? A reg DVD only needs 480p max so you could simply swap the two connections for the best results. Just another idea.

Sorry for the above, I was posting at the same time and now see your reply.

Setup your DirecTV unit to output ONLY 1080i and turn NATIVE off. That should fix it for good.

So, IIRC this only happens when it lands on a channel that is 780i resolution, because when I hold down the res button it jumps to 1080i and things clear up.

Gonna go in the receiver setup and take out the *checked* 780i resolution entry.

Thanks. I think this will nail it.
I believe you mean 720p. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)