New Dvr User

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spensib

Original poster
May 15, 2004
I’m new to DirectTV. Had it about 2 months. I just upgraded one of my receivers to a DirectTV DVR Tivo unit. I have a few general questions/complaints and would appreciate any feed back. The unit that was installed is a Philips DSR 704. I did not have an option to pick a receiver. You get what DirectTV gives you.

1. Is this a new model or is it an older version? (I know Philips has a series
DSR 7000).

2. I know the unit must always stay on but the fan/motor sounds rather
loud. Is this loud sound normal?

3. The remote sucks. Small buttons. No backlight. Not universal!!!

4. The program guide does not have PIP (picture in picture).

5. No caller ID.

Best for last

6. The program guide is so slow it’s virtually useless. It says you can search about 12 days of programs but it will probably take that long to get there. I learned you can search up and down using the channel button to view a page a time which is much (a little) faster but when I want to view what’s on later in the day or week I can only advance one frame at a time. I have to keep pressing the button to advance in 1/2hr or hr increments. I hope I am doing something wrong or this unit is an old model I can replace.

With regard to all of the above is there a better receiver and/or universal remote I can get. I believe I have a 30 day return on this.

Thanks.

spensib said:
1. Is this a new model or is it an older version? (I know Philips has a series
DSR 7000).

With regard to all of the above is there a better receiver and/or universal remote I can get. I believe I have a 30 day return on this.
It is my understanding that the current DTivos are all the same on the inside (with the possible exception of hard drive sizes), unlike the standard receivers which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. They are all made in the same factory and the only difference is the casing/name put on the outside.

2. I know the unit must always stay on but the fan/motor sounds rather loud. Is this loud sound normal?

3. The remote sucks. Small buttons. No backlight. Not universal!!!

4. The program guide does not have PIP (picture in picture).

5. No caller ID.

6. The program guide is so slow it’s virtually useless.
Well, I think you've hit upon all the shortcomings I've found, with the exception of #2, between my old 501 and my DTivo.

#2, I found them to both be about the same but the 501 went into a standby mode so it was quieter at night. I now have 2 DTivos for less than my one 501 so I ended up with one in the bedroom and it has taken awhile to get used to it. Eventually I will change the drive to a larger & quieter one so hopefully that will take care of the problem.

#3, I also don't care for this remote. I did find that the remote is more comfortable to hold but much harder to see. None of my old universal remotes work with the DTivo, even though they all have a Tivo setting. It has taken awhile (6 months?) and I still hit incorrect buttons but this is no longer such an issue. But I'll buy a new remote in a NY second if they ever come out with one with white buttons!

#4, yup. But see my comment about #6.

#5, I got spoiled by the on-screen caller ID so I ended up buying this from Sharper Image: Info Globe. With the $50 I paid, this now brought my 2 DTivos in line with what I paid for 1 501.

#6, If you aren't using the Tivo guide instead of the grid guide, give it a try. It is faster though still not as fast as my 501. The upside of this is that the Tivo software is so reliable that I no longer watch live programming. I scroll through the Tivo guide, set up timers, and am done with live TV for the night. Try to use the "Thumbs Up/Down" to let the software learn your viewing preferences so it can record some suggested "Now Showing." The Tivo software really shines when you get away from watching live TV, even if you are only delaying your watching by 15 minutes or so to allow yourself to blip over the commercials. Unlike my 501, I only miss programs when weather outages or news/sports pre-empts take precedence.

Here's another shortcoming (of the DTivo v. the 5XX) that you didn't mention:
#7, I miss multiple "favorites" lists!

Thanks for the input. I agree with #7 (and can probably think of a few more) but I did't metion it because I did't want to complain too much. I'm just baffled that my $40.00 dollar recever (it was free for me with 1 year agreement) is so fast and has so many better features than a $200.00 DVR, which is what you would pay for one with 40hr recording time.

I just wanted to make sure DirectTV did't send me a discontinued DVR model.

I'll probably wait a while to see how I like it before I decide to add a second hard drive. From what I'm reading 40hrs just won't cut it, but I hate to dump $200.00 into the DVR for a 160GB harddrive. I would buy one already formatted. I know nothing about computers but I like to take stuff apart and make it better....(MORE POWER!!!!!!)

I'll try the Tivo guide. I breifly looked at it but have not had a chance to really give it a try.

THANKS AGAIN...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts