New DVR

The RF output will be NTSC VHF 3/4.

When we design equipment, we take into consideration the most common useage. They other modulator choice would to have it be adjustable for UHF 13 - 68, but that wouldn't fit the needs for the majority of customers.

Modulators will most likely soon be a thing of the legacy past.... don't expect to see them on equipment for many more years.

There is a r/c switch for A/V inputs, I do not know if it is Std A/V; composite; component or S-video-AV. It may have been "Black Box" brand as the guy that had it, uses a LOT of their equipment. I do remember the remote was a real remote, probably UHF 200 feet through walls, etc. and coded for each 'box' (he had 4 boxes - (rooms)). Not really Glorystar, probably not even hobbiest, but here's an idea.

Not only that, I was under the impression that frequency agile UHF modulators were available to purchase, if desired.

I called today and I guess the new DVR is still about six to eight weeks away. I am just waiting for it to be ready so I can get everything set up the way I want it. I guess there as been some delays.

UHF modulators

Not only that, I was under the impression that frequency agile UHF modulators were available to purchase, if desired.
I bought some from Radio Shack a couple of years ago when they were phasing them out.
If I recall, they were $20 to $30, but that was a close-out.

Digital channel selection on any VHF, UHF, or cable channel, with an LED readout on the front to tell you what channel you had tuned to.
Alas, those have all gone away, and I'm keeping mine.

I gave one to a buddy, and he got two more.
Wired them all up to his house cable system, put the modulators on unused UHF channels, got appropriate filters, and added his own three channels! ;)

Probably worth an internet search if you cannot get by with Channel 3 or 4.
Personally, I hook up with composite, Svideo, or Component (in order of better picture) to assure the best quality video.
But for those who must extend a signal into a bedroom or a kid's room, Ch3/4 will get by.

DVR-1100c delay...

I place a call to Glorystar today in the hopes that they could tell me when they would start accepting orders for the new DVR-1100c receiver. My estimates projected a release in early April.

Sadly, I was told that it may be a couple of more months. I had hoped for very little gap between Sky Angel DBS going dark and the launch of the DVR-1100c. *sigh* Oh, well.

Maybe Brian or someone from Glorystar can share more about the status of things.

The manufacturer's engineers have been at our facility for several weeks finalizing the GEOSATpro DVR1100c and DSR100 firmware. DVR firmware development is complete and the hardware has passed final approval. Manufacturing and testing will occur over the next month with pre-release review units being shipped approximately May 1st and order fulfillment before May 15th.

Thanks for the update! I really appreciate the details you provided, rather than a simple "We plan to release the unit May 15th". :D

I'll be patient for another 6 weeks or so. I still plan to be an "early adopter" of this unit, so please keep us posted on when you will start accepting orders (recognizing this is not a sales venue).

Thank you!

I haven't made the move to GloryStar and am wondering should I wait for the new receiver before making the plunge? I haven't done enough research to understand all the implications of the DVR and its interface.

I have no familiarity with a DVR, could someone tell me if it is a receiver as well as a recorder or does it require a receiver?

Last edited:
The DVR is both a receiver and recorder. Its all in one. The advantage of a DVR/PVR (Digital Video Recorder/Personal Video Recorder) is you can record shows directly to it and play back later.

I have a couple stand alone hard drives that record on them (think VCR with no tapes and more options) that I have hooked up to the FTA boxes. The advantage is I can swap out any box that I want,.

Another option is to get a receiver that you can add a hard drive too. I have a Visionsat receiver that will accept any external hard drive. Only drawback is the HDD sits outside

So I guess the question to ask is will I be recording alot of programs? If so, then a DVR is for you. But if its a few items once in a while, the regualr receiver might be the best option and you could hook up a VCR/DVD recorder if you'd like :)

The thing with religious channels is the programs a person really likes are often going to be on either when the person is working or sleeping so a DVR becomes very practical.

The thing with religious channels is the programs a person really likes are often going to be on either when the person is working or sleeping so a DVR becomes very practical.

Very good point! At first I was only considering archiving or sharing. I think I'll wait on the new DVR, it's not that far away.