New DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ShaneLinder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2006
Texas
I called Glorystar today to purchase a 2nd dish and a DVR and discovered they are in the process of switching over to a new DVR. Any idea when this will be available? Are there any advantages to the old DVR? Any idea on the price range?

I look forward to adding it to our home.

Shane,

I, too, have heard that new machine(s) are coming soon and that is one reason I have held off on my move into FTA.

Are you speaking of the GeoSat pro receiver? I looked at it briefly, but was more interested in the IV200 available on the SatelliteAV site. The IV200 sure is tempting with the solid reviews, but around that time I discovered there may be new receiver(s) coming early this year. While I cannot offer any concrete info, I came away with the impression that February/March was a reasonable guess.

It is pure speculation on my part, but I have wondered if perhaps the EPG feature has been held up a little to ensure it works with the new machine(s).

Either way, most of my FTA equipment will be purchased from them in the coming weeks. :)

The new DVR will be available in approximately 6 - 7 weeks with an introduction of a new receiver model to follow shortly after. We have a small quantity remaining of the current DVR1000ci units.

The DVR-1100c is a MPEG2 receiver and PVR capable instead of containing an internal hard drive. This feature allows the viewer to purchase the appropriate storage capacity, interchange drives to build libraries and allow for easy file transfer of recorded programming. The cost will also be much lower than the current model with increased features.

The DVR-1100c supports USB Flash and hard drives up to 500GB for PVR function and JPEG image viewing. Recorded programming can be played back on any PC using available freeware such as VLC Media Player or edited and burned to DVD using software such as VideoReDo. Built-in CAS (card reader) provides support for subscription programming originating from 3rd party vendors. Component, composite, Y/C video, analog audio and Optical AC-3 outputs along with NTSC RF output interface with both old and new televisions and monitors.

The receiver automatically updates weekly with firmware, promotional information and channel changes (these features can be disabled for hobbyists wishing to maintain their own receivers). A satellite based EPG containing listings for Glorystar channels will soon be activated and provide true EPG based recording. The unit will support Glorystar karaoke and trivia channels (availability TBA). Advanced chipset design and increased memory allows virtual channels to provide programming promotion and system information.

Desired hobbyist menu items are supported. I.E. rapid hardware based power scan and Channel Master editing support.

Not just an new Free to Air receiver with customized firmware ..... This receiver marks the next step in the evolution of equipment to support an innovative and unique Glorystar experience.

The DVR-1100c is a MPEG2 receiver and PVR capable instead of containing an internal hard drive. This feature allows the viewer to purchase the appropriate storage capacity, interchange drives to build libraries and allow for easy file transfer of recorded programming. The cost will also be much lower than the current model with increased features.
Man i wish my dish625 or 622 could do that.

If it is going to be 6-7 weeks yet I might just buy the regular set up and by the DVR later. I have a dual output circular LNBF on my dish now that can support two receivers and now have an experienced tech that can get the motor working right on that one. I want a three-room set up anyway so I could have a master-slave with the motor and the DVR with the Glorystar.

sweet. Its kinda like my Visionsat

The DVR-1100c supports USB Flash and hard drives up to 500GB for PVR function and JPEG image viewing. Recorded programming can be played back on any PC using available freeware such as VLC Media Player or edited and burned to DVD using software such as VideoReDo. Built-in CAS (card reader) provides support for subscription programming originating from 3rd party vendors. Component, composite, Y/C video, analog audio and Optical AC-3 outputs along with NTSC RF output interface with both old and new televisions and monitors.
cool. Starting to like this

The receiver automatically updates weekly with firmware, promotional information and channel changes (these features can be disabled for hobbyists wishing to maintain their own receivers).
sweet

A satellite based EPG containing listings for Glorystar channels will soon be activated and provide true EPG based recording.
:eek::eek::eek::clap:clap:clap:up:up
That is awesome. Even if its just the Glorystar channels this may make it like Sky Angel and allow people to switch from SA to G* with little issues

The unit will support Glorystar karaoke and trivia channels (availability TBA). Advanced chipset design and increased memory allows virtual channels to provide programming promotion and system information.
please elaborate on this.

Desired hobbyist menu items are supported. I.E. rapid hardware based power scan and Channel Master editing support.
:D

Not just an new Free to Air receiver with customized firmware ..... This receiver marks the next step in the evolution of equipment to support an innovative and unique Glorystar experience.
sounds like an AWESOME box. Gotta find out the price. Hopefully its in a good price range :)

Quote:
The unit will support Glorystar karaoke and trivia channels (availability TBA). Advanced chipset design and increased memory allows virtual channels to provide programming promotion and system information.
Glorystar karaoke audio will be a standard audio channel for a listener with a FTA receiver, but with a next generation Glorystar receiver, the customer will also have karaoke lyrics available.

We are also partnering to provide a Bible Trivia service that will be delivered as data content to be generated in the receiver rather than as a video channel.

Virtual Channels will appear as a channels in the receiver list, but content will not originate from a live satellite feed. Virtual channel content will be updated weekly. It will not be necessary to have a hard drive connected for the virtual channels.

Will the virtual channels only have text/still image based content? Or will they contain interactive programs? Downloaded video clips?

This could really be interesting.

And I think you're on the right track by including a CAS slot so that some paid programming could be offered in the future. A small package of news, weather, and some family oriented channels like Hallmark could be put together.

G* will go a long way to prove the legitimacy of FTA equipment.

The receiver automatically updates weekly with firmware, promotional information and channel changes (these features can be disabled for hobbyists wishing to maintain their own receivers). A satellite based EPG containing listings for Glorystar channels will soon be activated and provide true EPG based recording. The unit will support Glorystar karaoke and trivia channels (availability TBA). Advanced chipset design and increased memory allows virtual channels to provide programming promotion and system information.
I got to thinking about this more and have some questions.

When receiving the firmware updates, I gather that the EPG will function much like those we are familiar from the pay TV providers. Is this correct?

Assuming so, what happens if I scan in a new channel that is not part of the G* package? Will it show up in the EPG but with no programming data?

What happens to user scanned channels during the firmware/channel update process? Will those additional scanned channels be lost or retained? Will it matter if those additional channels come from fixed dishes or a motorized dish (taking into account offsets if using the 4 degree kit)?

I would hope that the EPG feature will allow inserting additional scanned channels (even if there is no programming info to populate the EPG for that channel) and retain them during updates. I am excited about the EPG feature, but would be disappointed if additional scanned channels were either ignored or wiped during each update.

That said, even if my hopes are dashed (;)) I am still looking forward to the new DVR and getting into FTA.

Unless GS implements some totally different EPG setup (which is highly doubtful), your EPG for scanned in channels will be there, and empty. It's already there, actually. They would just be supplying the data to populate the EPG. Who knows if they will do this in the standard way, or if they will to add some logic to restric non GS receivers from recognizing their EPG data or not (I would hope not, but you never know).

As far as what happens to the scanned in channels when updates come down, I believe you'll find that answer has already been given. I don't recall what the answer was, but I do remember reading it before.

Unless GS implements some totally different EPG setup (which is highly doubtful), your EPG for scanned in channels will be there, and empty. It's already there, actually. They would just be supplying the data to populate the EPG. Who knows if they will do this in the standard way, or if they will to add some logic to restric non GS receivers from recognizing their EPG data or not (I would hope not, but you never know).
The question being how they will implement the "G* only" channel guide. I believe we have a good clue in that the receivers come pre-programmed with the G* channels. The question then is will the update simply populate the guide for these channels or will it push out the pre-programmed list also. The former seems more likely, but not knowing how they plan to do things, we cannot rule out the latter.

My point in asking the questions is not to stir up rumors or get people fired up; rather, I am hoping to get some solid info. More than anything, I am interested in learning more about FTA in general and Glorystar in particular.

Cheers!

EPG data and Updates are two separate processes.

The EPG data will originate from one transponder and will include all Glorystar channels. If the viewer Power Scans for additional channels, these additional channels will only have an EPG if the channel provides the service. The Glorystar EPG will provide 30 day program title and 7 day extended description.

There will be two Update Modes:
  1. Auto Update - Default mode where the receiver updates with latest firmware and Channel List automatically. PVR timers are not overwritten.
  2. Manual Update - Viewer chooses if or when the receiver updates firmware and channel list.
In both modes, Firmware and Channel List updates will eliminate viewer scanned channels. In the future we may be able to add channels without eliminating customer's additional channels, but at this time it is only a possibility.

Thanks for describing the feature. Even if I have to manually re-enter other scanned channels, it will be a welcome feature. I'm not well versed with Channel Master, but I suppose it may be possible to have a saved list of scanned channels to upload... I'll have to get smarter on that!

Interactive Channel? Teletext?

I was wondering if Glorystar could offer an interactive channel, like teletext in Europe, that would show case news, weather, entertainment reviews, sports, and even games. Like the bible trivia game. Glorystar could also advertise on this channel. Something like this would truly make Glorystar the best Christian satellite system.

Examples:
skytext-000-20001205.jpg
ntli14.gif
ntli12.gif

I think customers would really appreciate an interactive weather channel, and an interactive news channel. As an idea, perhaps news could be offered from a regular news wire, but also include the Christian Science Monitor or another respected Christian source.
And since these would be static graphic/text channels, they should be low bandwidth, and as suggested, they could be ad supported.

Glorystar1,

Will the modulated RF output be the typical channel 3/4? These days, with multiple boxes as part of a home entertainment/distribution system, the ability to use other channels (like the Dish ViP622) had proven more valuable than I expected. I'm sure the cost makes it unlikely for FTA boxes, but I thought I would ask anyway. Maybe in a future model...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)