New E* Satellites

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Does nyone know what orbital slots the new sats will be in and if the footprints will cover Puerto Rico?

Read the team summit notes, its all in there.

I must have missed it but I seen nothing saying what sats would be replaced. I would assume that 129 is one since it is a dying bird and the new ones would be closer to the 110 and 119 sats if they plan on using 1 18" dish to receive everything.
This could be a very cool thing for us that have the 1000.2 dish, nothing like having an extra 6" to help reduce rain fade.:hungry:

The understanding is that they would not be sent to any current slot and would not replace any current sats or any current service.

It would be in a new slot(s), and MPEG4 would allow them to duplicate all current channels, so you could repoint entirely to the new slot.

This is my understanding, but the notes would have the more accurate description.

The Team Summit notes do not address coverage of the new satellites. I was wondering the same thing, if the 110/119 satellite coverage would be duplicated by the new satellites.

The Team Summit notes do not address coverage of the new satellites. I was wondering the same thing, if the 110/119 satellite coverage would be duplicated by the new satellites.
Coverage of what ? Ground locations ? Channels ? LILs ?

Federal Law requires EchoStar to cover all physical locations in the USA.

I must have missed it but I seen nothing saying what sats would be replaced. I would assume that 129 is one since it is a dying bird and the new ones would be closer to the 110 and 119 sats if they plan on using 1 18" dish to receive everything.
This could be a very cool thing for us that have the 1000.2 dish, nothing like having an extra 6" to help reduce rain fade.:hungry:

Ceil (which holds the licenses at 129 which E* are leasing) are planning on launching a bird with some spot beam capability in 2008.

Dish will not move any bird to 129 unless E5 has a total failure or is severely crippeled (like E4 is)

I have a feeling that the 129 satellite will not matter after the two new sats go up in December. Then it will be a matter of repointing towards the new sats to get you all the sd and hd programming you need several dishes to get now. They will probably not even need to keep this slot once they do all the repoints to the new sats at 86.5 & 97.

And I assume as stated above that new customers will be installed on these two. I also assume current customers can repoint their dish if they want(which I would) but Id think that E* wont do it for you for free.

Those orbital slots just suck for NW (and probably mountain zone) folks. 97 might be ok, as it's pretty close to 110 (well, roughly speaking), but 86.5 is behind a huge hill covered with tall trees from my location. Why don't they (E*) just replace 110/119 with those two new sats and de-orbit 129?

Sheesh...

If they truely make it so that new HD channels are only going to be on the 2 new locations they are going to have to do free (or at least almost free) repoints. The fact of the matter is most people that have satellite tv either don't know how or don't want to try to repoint their dishes themselves. If E* doesn't make it easy, then people will jump ship. Plain and simple.

Actually they will probably use 129 to do LiL HD to smaller markets. They can cover the top markets with their new satellites/slots. 129 turning into a spot beam satellite can cover smaller markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)