New equipment advice....

badtazboy

Original poster
May 6, 2015
Us
I'm looking to purchase new equipment, due to them not able to run a new line, so I'm looking at purchasing a Hopper and a Joey but not clear on what to buy. Not willing to sign a contract so I am looking to buy out right. Any help is appreciated.

You'll need a node. And what dish and LNB setup do you have? DPP?

Eastern Arc or Western Arc?

Spoke to Dish they said they'd come and hook it up when I got the equipment. My dish is the turbo 1000.
The wife refuses to sign a contract with them. I find it easier to just buy the equipment.

You are going to have to have TWO lines from your dish for the Hopper.

You are going to have to have TWO lines from your dish for the Hopper.
Two lines from the dish to the node, which can be at the dish. One line inside. Use a tap somewhere in the path to make one line for the Hopper and one line for the Joey.

So you'll need:
Solo node
Tap
Hopper (with sling highly recommended)
Joey
RG6 cable rated to 3 GHz for the run between the node and tap and on to the Hopper
RG6 or RG59 from tap to to the Joey

We have 2 lines coming in now. 1 to a vip612 (wife's receiver basic service) and 2nd line for Vip722k (my receiver, share an account with father with all channels, 2nd line running to living room). Bought a 2nd Vip722k for wife in living room and kids room but she wasn't willing to give up her ability to dvr 2 things. Had Dish come out for a drop but the 4 plex we live in won't let us run lines on the outside of building so was unable to set up a box in our kids room. They suggested the Hopper but the wife will not sign a contract. Dish said to call when I bought the new box and they'd come out and install

We have 2 lines coming in now. 1 to a vip612 (wife's receiver basic service) and 2nd line for Vip722k (my receiver, share an account with father with all channels, 2nd line running to living room). Bought a 2nd Vip722k for wife in living room and kids room but she wasn't willing to give up her ability to dvr 2 things. Had Dish come out for a drop but the 4 plex we live in won't let us run lines on the outside of building so was unable to set up a box in our kids room. They suggested the Hopper but the wife will not sign a contract. Dish said to call when I bought the new box and they'd come out and install
Did you ask what they will charge you for the install?

Sounds like you have 2 accounts in your house hold that may cause problems . Hopper Joey can't be on the same account with VIP receivers.

all went well with my install but now I want to add a super Joey would anyone know where I can get wiring diagrams? Can I just split off one of the lines for the supper joey again? How it's all set up is dish to node 2 lines into apartment 1 line to hopper (living room) , hopper to joey (kids bedroom) (same account) 2nd line to Vip722k (different account master bedroom ). Bought a supper joey to add to the hopper account so the wife can access her recordings in the master bedroom. I pretty technology skilled and don't want to pay another $50 for someone to come out and hook it up.

For a Super Joey you will need a line from the dish that will go to an integrator. Also to the integrator will go a Joey line then out of the integrator will go the line to the Super Joey.

Sounds like you probably need a DPP44 to get another line from the dish.

Just Google 'Super Joey Wiring' and check it out.

Good luck.

I can't run a 3rd line into the apartment that's why a technician suggested the hopper system. Looking at my dish I have a solo node attaches to it and a tap in the apartment my super Joey came with an integrator if this is any help for me to just hook it up

I can't run a 3rd line into the apartment that's why a technician suggested the hopper system. Looking at my dish I have a solo node attaches to it and a tap in the apartment my super Joey came with an integrator if this is any help for me to just hook it up

Doesn't work that way.

You will absolutely need a switch as each port on the LnB built in switch can only do two tuners. With the hopper and 722 on the one Dish, is 5 tuners, so to add in another 2 tuners, you need something that is capable of handling 7 tuners.

I see that the 1 line has a tap on it in which 1 line runs to the hopper and the other to the joey. Can I not do the same thing with the second line and have one line go to the Super joey and the other to the Vip722k?

I see that the 1 line has a tap on it in which 1 line runs to the hopper and the other to the joey. Can I not do the same thing with the second line and have one line go to the Super joey and the other to the Vip722k?

No that won't work, as much as you want it to and no matter how many different ways you ask.

Reactions: ChadT41
It's about the limitations of the switch in use. The Tap is not a switch, thus will not work the way you want it to.

no you can't mix hoppers/joeys together with any VIP receiver becauses it uses different voltage polarity then the other receivers got it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)