KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
ViaSat is offering a new tier of satellite service they're promising will provide historically-heavily capped satellite broadband users a "virtually unlimited" service. According to a company announcement, ViaSat's new "Freedom" plan provides users with "at least 150 GBs of monthly data without a strict data allowance" for $70 a month ($60 if you bundle phone service).........................

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/New-Exede-Satellite-Broadband-Tier-Provides-150-GB-for-70-130061

This is going to be an interesting twist to people that have to use satellite internet to get broadband internet.
If it goes well that is.

Interesting, a step in the right direction I'd say.

Someone needs to post this on the hughes community portal.

ViaSat says this new plan won't be available everywhere. Initially it will only be offered along portions of the Eastern Seaboard and the Gulf Coast; select counties in California, Arizona, and Minnesota; and across most of Alaska, Hawaii, and Florida.

from the article.

it seems like they are pushing the service out in areas that have easy access to hard line high speed internet.
so I am thinking its in places where they have lots of excess capacity.

common sense would dictate that you would push that out in the largely rural areas where people would snap it up in a heart beat.

This is not a concern for some but it would be for those wanting to game or do VoIP.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have been an Exede dealer since they launched in Apr 2012. For many, especially if you live in a rural area, it isn't a matter of not being bothered by latency, but if you want Internet...it's the only option for some. I have used the service myself at two of my locations (no other option), including VoIP (Exede Voice, RingCentral Office with IP Phones, and a Verizon Network Extender) which all works quite well surprisingly. Games...no, not if thry are 1st person shooter games in particular.

Now ViaSat has changed the tune a bit, it is still 150 GB, but it's $100 (not $70). In addition to the large data cap, another bonus is it's a soft cap. Unless you repeatedly violate it they "reserve the right to slow your speeds". However, I have violated everytime going on 9 months, sometimes as much as using 261%- have yet to be throttled or contacted. But...anything at any time wouldn't surprise me.

They might only throttle if they have issues with bandwidth on the satellite and not enforcing the caps. Have the speeds been up to par on Exede in the areas where they offer this? Why have they not expanded their service area in which they offer these speeds? My guess is that some areas do not have enough subscribers to use up their bandwidth so they are trying to get extra money from the fewer customers that they have to make up for it. Smart move for them. Get people used to the extra bandwidth then charge more later. Even at $100 that is still a god send in a rural area.

Im considering switching and had a few questions. ATT ADSL keeps raising the price, Im at 6mbps fo $60/month, its stupid. My usage is internet at night (forums, etc...), uploading some pics to dropbox everynow and then, and then software updates and wifi for the cell phones while we are home. I average 2-3 hours of Netflix tv shows a week.

Seems at 12mbps down and 150gigs limit, this is pretty darn good. I really dont mind the cost, Id rather have higher upload and download speeds. The latency is one thing I m not to up to speed on and what it affects.

thanks.

If you do any on-line competitive gaming like first person shooters the latency will make it unplayable. Also you will notice it if trying to use Skype or an IP phone. Other than that though not much difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts