New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well we were clear til the waters just got muddied again by that last post taking everything out of context. Like I said before if things happen they happen. Why is a company like freedbs burning the fuzz off your nutz?

Just to shut you up... You can pee farther than me. You know everything.... You can read the freedbs peoples minds.... You speak nothing but truth.... You walk on water.... I'm not trying to prove anything. But you seem to be trying to prove that you have to continue to beat a dead horse. Go read the news releases that I posted. If you still insist on being ignorant, then so be it. I guess there is one thing I need to do. See if we have an ignore list I can activate. Have a great life.
My apoligy to the forum for all this crap. Now where is the ignore button?

@ Denny.... You are in my prayers. Remember the one in charge never gives us anything that we can't handle. Keep the faith.

I replied to your post exactly as was written, in order, on a per sentence basis and you call that taking everything (again with the absolutes) out of context?
Jeez.
"...a company like FreeDBS..." now that is a textbook oxymoron which should make the answer to your question self explanatory.

I have not beaten this horse anymore than you have but in your view I'm the bad guy.........figures.

Go read the releases..............damn you are dense. The point is that without anything material and tangible, that stuff boils down to just rumor, innuendo, and propaganda. I did take it at face value initially. Eventually players get on my nerves and I feel the need to comment. What's even worse than players are suckups to players. Where do you fall? Do the math.

You have repeatedly failed to grasp my point, and continue to superimpose your narrowminded interpretation regardless of the effort I make to enlighten and correct your twisted perception.
Because I dont believe the spin, and support this with reference to FACTS, not propaganda, you seem to feel the need to brand me the villain. Oh, well. Affirmations and blessings from you are irrelevant to me.

For the record, the " Just to shut you up... " remark further underscores a serious character flaw that apparently drives you to attempt control over things beyond your realm of influence. Coupled with your fixation on dealing in absolutes, and inability to comprehend fundamental statement in plain English, I am amazed that you are even capable of functioning in the real world. I'm done trying to remove the confusion you have regarding my comments. You seem to be incapable of comprehending what I've said and why, and get immensely defensive when anyone presents an opinion that deviates from your narrow little view of things.

Go drink another jug of Kool-Aid. I'll waste no more energy trying to help you broaden your view of reality.

I wish you luck in finding the ignore setting. That should insure that I will not have to view any further misconstruing, combatant, argumentative, childlike responses from you to my posts.

PS - Apology accepted, now go to your room.

hmmmm...?

"Y" ...?!? :down This Thread had Started out as being Informative and has turned to being almost crap... If You can't post anything pertinent about the Soon to be New Sat then You shouldn't even be here in this Thread. Take all Your Silliness and go somewhere else as I am Sick of seeing it. That is one reason I don't post much here. It seems that Peeps have to turn Legit Stuff into Personal Battle Fields and that doesn't Help Anyone...! !protest

Well, personally, I think you two guys should take it outside and duke it out. Both of you are set in your ways/thoughts, and neither is going to change the others mind.

I've been reading this thread from the start, and find it for the most part informative, but when a couple of members start insulting each others intelligence and trying to better the other in a pissing contest, it really starts grating on nerves.

I am reminded of the current political spectre, where no one is willing to listen to the other sides political ramblings, and thoughts are that by demonizing and and criticizing others views is the only way to "win an argument."

I read this forum to find out what's happening with the possible launch of a new service and instead I have to read opinions about how a few members feel about other members, insulting to you, to me and to all members tying to read the thread.

How about we just post on what we KNOW is happening, and keep it at that.

I "think" that when freedbs is willing to release info, they will, and not before. We as members of this forum have little (or no) control over what freedbs does, how they do it or when they will do what they will do.

Until a time comes when they actually launch, why bother keeping this argument going?

I don't check their site daily, probably less than once a week, but the info they ARE giving is given at THEIR OWN PACE and we can't hurry that. So why let speculation turn into arguments?

(climbing off my soap box)
Photto

I am sitting and waiting to see what they can do.

I know personally how long it can take from something to go from an idea into reality.

Also I find it believable that while waiting for things to become reality the technology can change. I believe it might be better for them and everyone if they use the newer technology then try to work with the old. Coming out the the gate using the newer technology will allow them to do more in the future.

So I will sit back and wait and hope we see this idea come to life and until them I will remember the old saying...

Rome was not built in a day. :)

guys lets quit with the bickering and personal views of the company.

This Thread had Started out as being Informative and has turned to being almost crap... If You can't post anything pertinent about the Soon to be New Sat then You shouldn't even be here in this Thread. Take all Your Silliness and go somewhere else as I am Sick of seeing it.

very well put

Seems like some here would argue with or disbelieve a "Opening soon: El Toro Mexican Cuisine " sign that is put up in front of a vacant restaurant. Some of the comments that are being made are equivalent to yelling at the workers remodeling the above restaurant that "you'll never get it open"
Even if the Free DBS does not pan out for some reason, I thank Wayne-O and the rest that are behind the scene for putting forth the effort.

Just wait and see. In meantime, enjoy what you have. I use this saying whether it is Dish Network info that we have not seen come to light yet that was promised or rumored or this FreeDBS news.

A Little Up-Date...!

Some of this You already know...

News Release: 7/16/2010

EPG compatibility. Freedbs. LLC Program Guide should work with most mpeg-2 compatible FTA receivers with the stations that we are planning to go up with at first. When we switch over to mpeg-4 only, we will also be enacting a proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver. Other mpeg-4 receivers should still receive our channels but not the guide.

News Release: 7/11/2010

If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.

News Release: 7/08/2010

TVS Sports channel has been added to our lineup. Also Space Vid Cast had been added previously and plans on Streaming in HD full time soon.

News Release: 7/01/2010

We are in talks with other corporations and businesses that we are working with to bring this about. We are also categorizing our media.
Due to the number of repetitive e-mails, We have reduced the number of representatives you may contact by email.

News Release: 6/11/2010

We have removed the networks. When these channels are no longer available over the air, we will look at this issue again. :idea:

that bit about "proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver" is stupid. And if they make it a closed spec they will shoot them selves in the head. Even dishnet uses a un-encrypted fairly standard epg stream. They just use the alt pid from what I've read. But trying to lock it down to only one companies unit they will try to lock out 99% of the units their viewers would have to pick from, not to mention all those with cards in computers. They are getting an exclusive contract with some box maker for what? Use standard and let the people pick which box and then they don't have to worry about making sure there is a supply.

Proprietary should be outlawed. It only hinders progress. Corps spend billons each year suing each other of out dated patents that shouldn't have been issued in the first place. Money they could have spent improving their products and reducing product cost while improving quality. Open standards is law in europe which is why they lead in sat tech and and programing.

Proprietary is also anti-competitive which makes it indirectly illegal. Just no one who cares has the resources to go after corps for it.

that bit about "proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver" is stupid. And if they make it a closed spec they will shoot them selves in the head. Proprietary should be outlawed. It only hinders progress.

The guide issue will end up holding them back, this is a bad idea.

Regardless of what receiver I buy...my next receiver will be a HD with 4:2:2 capability....If the new freedbs receiver doesn't have 4:2:2 as well as HD...I'm not buying it. This is why I haven't bought the Sathawk...because it would mean I still need another receiver for 4:2:2 and now ..yet another receiver for freedbs so I can have use of the guide.... I am not in a position financially to start buying STB's for specific satellites. I have one HD receiver planned for the near future...just one.

Edit: Note their comment "When we switch over to mpeg-4 only". I hope people know that the 1 to 2 million receivers that Freedbs claims will be their market...will be obsolete...

"There are estimated 1 to 2 million* free to air satellite receivers located in homes throughout the U.S. and Canada. Our intention is to take advantage of this massive viewer network lying dormant waiting for the product we are about to make available to them."
"

Last edited:
I've held off on commenting on this for a while now. I noticed that they intend for their channels to be ITC, but in order to get the guide you will have to have an authorized receiver. Perhaps this is their way of making money by selling receivers. Glorystar is not all that different. From what I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong here) you have to have one of their receivers to get the guide for their FTA channels.

The Glorystar channels most dont have a guide and the ones that do will work with any receiver

Glorystar markets their receivers as plug and play for the folks who want Christian channels and not "how to add a channel" or "how to do a blind scan". The software for Glorystar (in that mode) will automatically update software and channels as need be. So when those channels were added to 11842 most G* folks (again with the receiver set in that mode) they were added and changes made when G* was changing stuff around. Us hobbyists has to keep scanning :)
The G* receiver has a hobbyist mode which the receiver works the same as any other.

that bit about "proprietary Guide that will only work with a authorized HD mpeg-4 receiver" is stupid. And if they make it a closed spec they will shoot them selves in the head....

...Proprietary should be outlawed. It only hinders progress. Corps spend billons each year suing each other of out dated patents that shouldn't have been issued in the first place. Money they could have spent improving their products and reducing product cost while improving quality. Open standards is law in europe which is why they lead in sat tech and and programing.

Proprietary is also anti-competitive which makes it indirectly illegal. Just no one who cares has the resources to go after corps for it.
Exactly.
This kinda reminds me of the good ol' days of DirecTV... You could buy a receiver from Sony, RCA/ProScan, Panasonic, Hughes, even Memorex from rat shack, :eek: and subscribe with any one of 'em. Now they have their own crappy POS boxes that aren't half as good as those old ones were.
Let's let everyone use the receiver they like, and are comfortable with. All of them can do a program guide! :mad: I think this bunch is gonna screw this up before it even gets off the ground....IF it gets off!

In most of Europe proprietary units are illegal. They are required to work with the dvb-S standard. If you want to use it with a pay service, you can get one with 1 or more standard slots.

This is why over there they, as of a couple years ago, had around 4000 fta channels compaired to the 2-300 here, most of which are foreign. Lack of standards is also why we are still talking about getting a fta service while others have had it up and running for awhile.

In most of Europe proprietary units are illegal. They are required to work with the dvb-S standard. If you want to use it with a pay service, you can get one with 1 or more standard slots.

This is why over there they, as of a couple years ago, had around 4000 fta channels compaired to the 2-300 here, most of which are foreign. Lack of standards is also why we are still talking about getting a fta service while others have had it up and running for awhile.
FTA in Europe makes what's available here in the US look pathetic. It's probably not going to get any better either. All the "sheep" just continue to flock to Dish/Direct and pay...pay...PAY! :rant:

I have a Glorystar receiver and none of the channels have a guide yet...it is something that has been promised but delayed.
Just a slight interpretation of their satement: EPG has been provided for but has not been populated by most of the uplinkers / networks. RT and one other (AJE?) do have working EPGs but those are provided by the networks.

As an example none of the TBN networks provide an EPG; and could not provide one. (As of 6 weeks ago, when I last checked) They can not even provide one the their own network stations, even by internet or FAX! If you get one from D* or E* it is only a guess and from the published newsletter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)