New FTA service with 20 english channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This has already been discussed at some length. Go back and read. Please post accurate information.

Start with mpeg2, transition to mpeg4 at some later date, only need their receiver for their electronic program guide.

As far as I know most current fta programming does not offer epg at all.

I don't care about EPG.This isn't a thread about EPG on other providers either.

We're talking about freedbs and their opening statement that they are marketing to the existing fta receiver market.

then the 2nd statement that they wont continue supporting mpeg-2

that is 100% accurate copy and paste from their news page.

Hey Mark Mauk worry about transmitting "A" signal before thinking about getting fancy. If you are using mpeg-2 fta numbers in your business model, you might want to tell the bank, advertisers and investors that you are gonna start shooting holes in the bottom of the boat soon after you launch.

I don't care about EPG.This isn't a thread about EPG on other providers either.

We're talking about freedbs and their opening statement that they are marketing to the existing fta receiver market.

then the 2nd statement that they wont continue supporting mpeg-2

that is 100% accurate copy and paste from their news page.

Hey Mark Mauk worry about transmitting "A" signal before thinking about getting fancy. If you are using mpeg-2 fta numbers in your business model, you might want to tell the bank, advertisers and investors that you are gonna start shooting holes in the bottom of the boat soon after you launch.
:up:up Good post. I have boxes here that'll do DVB Mpeg-2, Mpeg-4, DCII, DCII combo, 4:2:2 DVB S-2, etc...etc... I don't need theirs! But, does anyone remember what that "Vapor-Ware" receiver was, that never materialized? Maybe that's the one we need for this "signal" :eek: :D

96% of the fta boxes out there are sd dvb mpeg-2

Most were used by the bargain hunting eye-patch crowd. Not by the HD, best you can buy elitists

If freedbs wants to really own a giant market, they should go pizza pan circular polarization and stick with the old boxes for sd and if you want to do their HD/ppv/subscribed stuff you'll need a compatible stb/dish

Last edited:
How to connect to FreeDBS

This is funny, finally some real info [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2PvYBrgZyQ]YouTube - FreeDBS Equipment & broadcast first look![/ame]

:p

Some people may have too much time one their hands but he hit it right on the head. :eek:

They said they will give latest news about their receiver in 2 weeks,.It is aug 03 now ??
I think you tube movies about freedbs seems real.

"" News Release: 7/11/2010
If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.
''

mdmm said:
They said they will give latest news about their receiver in 2 weeks,.It is aug 03 now ??
I think you tube movies about freedbs seems real.

"" News Release: 7/11/2010
If you are planning to buy a new FTA receiver, We would recommend that you wait 1-2 weeks for our news release before you make a decision. All new mpeg-4 receivers may not work with our "EPG" electronic program guide.
''

I believe they made an announcement on 7/16 about EPG that's what I thought they meant

FreeDBSLLC-1.jpg
FreeDBSLLC-2.jpg

FreeDBSLLC-3.jpg

So that video isn't quite right. I wonder if registering wasn't in response to it.

Last edited:
At this point I'm not worried if my receiver handles their Epg....I'd just like to see them put up some channels to watch. Most of us FTA folks are smart enough to figure out what we are watching...lol...Blind

To be truthful, if they are only going to be offering 20 channels then there may not be a big use for an EPG. They said that they plan on going to 100 channels eventually though. I imagine the price difference between a cheap used FTA receiver and theirs that would be required to EPG may be signifigant enough to cause some to not purchase it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)