New Fun Thread: You Know You're an FTA Addict When...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
Thought this would be fun.
Jokes are welcome, but actual experiences are better!
Here's one:

My brother-in-law, who's staying with us, got a job about 10 miles away. This gets me driving further than usual along the highway here, and on my first such trip I spotted no less than 8 fully set-up BUD's. On my second trip out, I spotted a single yard with two fully set up BUD's (one older, one newer) and about FIVE other BUD's stacked haphazardly on the ground between them! This haunted me. I slowed a bit on the third trip... they all look in good shape, complete and of various types. :yes

Of course, I live in a mobile home park. I DID spot a BUD here somone recently snuck into their backyard (almost hidden, but not from me! ;) ) but where I'm at, there's just no way I could get away with it. So I have no practical use for these dishes. I think that's half of what bugs me. The other half, of course, is... they're just LAYING THERE!!

I'm sure you know what I mean :D If that's not proof enough, on a walk the other night, the wife pointed to a DTV dish and said, "Hey, that one's got three lnb's!" ... I was so proud :rolleyes:

You know you;re fta addict when ?

I know I am a fta addict cuase when ever someone is talking about themselves or some important issue In thier life I always seem to change the topic subconciously to My fta expericinces and how trilled I was at getting some signal from satellite and how excited I felt ..........

I know I am a fta addict cuase where ever I am I always seem to align myself phsyically with the clark belt and dreaming how Ideal this place would be for some dishes ...........

I know I am a fta addict cuase I would only buy a home with a backyard that would have a clear view of the clark belt...

When you help your neighbor cut down and clear trees that just might give you that next satellite position...

And you look at every yard with a BUD and get the urge to stop and ask about it or make a mental note of its orientation so the next time yo ugo by you can see if it has moved.

There is one about a mile from my house that is facing due west and I am wanting to stop and ask about it cuz I know it isn't being used. My SO has one with a new lnb and actuator but has a panel missing. I need to go get it first.

I also buy every E*/D* dish/lnb C-band reciever that comes through a local auction. It seems like such a waste to let it go.... Its almost like knowing you will have to put your favorite pet to sleep... :(

Mark_AR said:
And you look at every yard with a BUD and get the urge to stop and ask about it or make a mental note of its orientation so the next time yo ugo by you can see if it has moved.
Hehe - guilty!

You know you're an FTA addict when everyone at work is complaining about Pink Floyd getting cut off mid-song at Live 8 and you have no idea what they are talking about :cool:.

I knew I was addicted when I changed my homepage from yahoo to satelliteguys. First screen I see every morning is this one!

You know you might be on the way to becoming an FTA addict when:

You have a front door that needs re-shimed because there is a small gap in one corner. After getting an FTA system you realize the gap is just the right size for RG6 cable to run through while you are testing your system. Now you don't want to fix the door anymore. ;)

you know your an fta addict when:

friends no longer mention tv in front of you

your 10 y/o kid knows what the clark belt is

you have bought enough rg6 that you now follow beldens stock prices

you know where every BUD is located along your 1 hour drive to work (all 9 of em, and not a one has moved in the last 6 months :( )

you have one BUD set up already and are trying to figure out where to set up a second one to get those eastern satellites that the first BUD cant see 'cause of trees

your wife finally agrees to let you take out approx 5,000 board feet of pine so you will quit complaining that trees are in the way of amc7 and amc8

your wife knows what amc7 and amc8 are ;)

You know when you are a FTA addict when

-you have PSBSatellite on speed dial
-You have more RG6 than the cable company
-4 of your top 5 websites are FTA ones :)
-You argue with the HOA board because they think 39 inches is more than a meter
-You can aim a dish to any satellite in under 2 minutes with no meter
-You have a LOS issue when a dish blocks the view of another :D
-You are in debt to a FTA company
-When a new receiver comes out you salivate (then cry because you dont have enough money)
-You jump up and down when you find a new channel
-You cried like a 4 year old who skinned her knee when your favorite channel disappears
-You start cringing when the signal gets close to the threshold of keeping a stable picture
-You go outside and cuss out dark clouds because you HAVE to watch this game (so guilty)
-you never cared about Line of sight until you got your FTA system (and you cuss them trees that block the view)
-when you move, LOS is the number one reason for buying a house :D

and this one might be under the TMI category

-you skip sex with the girlfriend/wife because you just got a new receiver and you want to try the receiver out :D:D

I remembered this thread from a little while ago, and kept having ideas come to my head. Since FTA Satellite reminds me so much of my days of staying up all night trying to get different stations on Shortwave, I thought I'd give this a try. Since I just got my Fortec Ultra in the mail and picked up a DirectTV dish for free, I'm in the very early stages of addiction.

-If you sit there and watch info cards and test patterns, simply because its a bird you finally got zeroed in.
-You can name where all of the existing Primestar dishes reside within a 20 mile distance.
-When watching Network television, you watch a network off the dish (same time zone) simply because you can, even if the networks come in strong where you are. This goes double if you are watching a local channel on the bird, just because you can.
-You go to friends' houses and check their LOS, and instantly feel jealous or sorry for them.
-Neighbors no longer stare at you when you are walking on the roof.

When any time you pass any satellite dish, regardless on size, you automatically mentally calculate what satellite it is pointed at.

Guilty!

-If you sit there and watch info cards and test patterns, simply because its a bird you finally got zeroed in.
Just did this with IA8 :D

-When watching Network television, you watch a network off the dish (same time zone) simply because you can, even if the networks come in strong where you are. This goes double if you are watching a local channel on the bird, just because you can.
Do that all the time

-Neighbors no longer stare at you when you are walking on the roof.
I wish…my neighbor still wonders.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
-When watching Network television, you watch a network off the dish (same time zone) simply because you can, even if the networks come in strong where you are.

Guilty of that-but I have an excuse. I have analog cable and FTA PQ blows that away. The only things I watch anymore on cable are my local news and Fox News.

I wish…my neighbor still wonders.

When I was in High School I was on the roof at least once a week dealing with the Ham and Shortwave antennas. After a little while, the kids walking by finally stopped gawking.

The wife came home the other night and I was watching an ABC show on C-Band analog - wasn't a perfect picture, had sparklies. But I was watching it on the 1.2 meter dish cause I could. She looked at the TV and said, "why are there sparklies?" Now, I can't remember using the term "sparklies" in front of her, ever. She is becoming an FTA'er via osmosis.

When you get home from work and start searching for something interesting, that you know your neighbors can't watch, and suddenly the alarm clock blares off and you realize it's time to get up and go to work...

Edit: Time sure flies when you're having fun!!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)