Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A new software version will be released in the coming weeks to all DIRECTV Genie receivers. The download will take approximately three weeks to complete a national rollout.

Closed Captioning Option Moved
The option to enable Closed Captioning for DIRECTV programming has been moved. Now, when a user selects the Info key on the DIRECTV remote, the CC selection will be directly to the right of Info, with the Closed Captioning option being found at the top of the drop-down list. This relocation makes it easier for customers to turn on Closed Captioning.

FailSafe Mode Support Temporarily Removed for HR34 Only
With this software download, the HR34 will temporarily remove support for FailSafe (or non-DVR) mode. HR34 behavior for hard drive failure will revert to previous implementation: System Error Code 14 will display to inform the user that an internal storage error has been detected and the receiver’s hard drive will need to be replaced. FailSafe mode is expected to return to the HR34 in a future software download.

FailSafe mode enables users with supported receivers to continue utilizing non-DVR functions like watching live TV after a receiver’s hard drive stops working. Please note that FailSafe mode remains unaffected on HR44 and HR54 receivers, as well as H44 receivers with attached hard drives.

Improved Messaging for On Demand Search, OSD 736
When a user performs a search for any content from the DIRECTV On Demand homepage that returns no results, they will now be presented with messaging that more accurately informs them why the search failed. The messaging shown depends on the Internet connection status of the customer’s receiver:
  • Receiver has never been connected to or has been disconnected from the Internet — Text explains that an Internet connection is needed to gain access to On Demand programming. The user is also presented with options to Connect Now or Reconnect Now, depending on the previous connection status of the receiver. The user will then be presented with the “Get Connected” OSD flow currently available on Genie receivers.
  • A receiver with an active Internet connection – The user is informed that the search service is temporarily unavailable and is prompted to try again later.
Additionally, customers that encounter OSD 736 when ordering pay-per-view are now provided with additional ordering options beyond calling Customer Care, depending on the Internet connection status of the receiver. This brings the format for OSD 736 in line with other PPV-related OSDs, including 731, 732 and 733, and troubleshooting steps remain the same for technicians.

This feature is already in the CE versions of the software. I use the CC option, but they should have moved PIP into that position.
I'm curious, what CE version ?
I have the feature you mentioned, but don't recall if I have the most current CE software or not.

This feature is already in the CE versions of the software. I use the CC option, but they should have moved PIP into that position.
I would suggest the default INFO be in the middle, so Left & Right movements are equal. But you know that's too high a suggestion over there IQ level.

Reactions: ejb1980
I hope this software fixes the AM21 issues that some have had including myself. There hasnt been a CE in the past few weeks for HR's. I wonder when they plan on releasing this.

I hope this software fixes the AM21 issues that some have had including myself. There hasnt been a CE in the past few weeks for HR's. I wonder when they plan on releasing this.
Last weekend was the first CE available for the H/HR 2x since 11/20. There hasn't been a CE for the Genies since 12/19. I would expect one for the Genie this weekend now that we are well out of the Christmas season.

Last weekend was the first CE available for the H/HR 2x since 11/20. There hasn't been a CE for the Genies since 12/19. I would expect one for the Genie this weekend now that we are well out of the Christmas season.
They tested one in the stream. I believe it is 0x0B67.

What issue is that? The only issue I have had with the AM21 is the CBS logo, but that's not really the AM21's fault. Now that this version is going to be public, I am going to email them to fix it, hopefully everyone else does, too. It drives me crazy. It has been reported on the new CE site numerous times by several users, but who knows when they'll get to it.

If you haven't seen it, this is the "issue"... For some reason, they took out the CBS logo that was there and made it Video Rola. Interestingly, Video Rola (ch 415) had the CBS logo on it since launch until they went thorugh and updated all the logos. CBS + quicktune = confusion because the logo is the only source of identification for the channels on the quicktune menu.

Before anyone says anything about the logos being a separate entity, I am aware that the logos are their own beast and the updating of them is kinda random. Sometimes they will update with a CE/software update, and this is the case this time. One of the weeks that there wasn't a CE recently, I tried to download anyway (I hate the new site and didn't have the patience to click 500 times to see "under the hood" again) and so I reverted to the NR. The logos were back to the old way (many missing, many outdated, CBS OTA correct) immediately and went back to the updated (but CBS OTA wrong) the next Friday night around 11:45 pm, so I am confident it's related to the software this time.

The issue was where the AM21 is connected to the HR device and going through the scanning process but not finding any channels. The software was recognizing the tuners but showing them as removed. I have had this happen to me on 2 separate AM21's on my HR54. The AM21's work on my my other non genie DVR. I ended up escalating to STB Engineering who is aware of the issue. I know I am not the only person who has had this issue. It seems like a few systems were affected and isn't widespread.

The issue was where the AM21 is connected to the HR device and going through the scanning process but not finding any channels. The software was recognizing the tuners but showing them as removed. I have had this happen to me on 2 separate AM21's on my HR54. The AM21's work on my my other non genie DVR. I ended up escalating to STB Engineering who is aware of the issue. I know I am not the only person who has had this issue. It seems like a few systems were affected and isn't widespread.

Oh... that. I have seen that thread on here. I hope it goes away completely, but fear that it could get worse and spread to my HR44. My AM21 hasn't really ever given me problems and *knock on wood*... I hope it stays that way, but the AM21 is a fickle beast.

Or move it to the left of INFO. Or better yet give us a one button on/off toggle. DASH or SELECT. Come on DIRECTV!! Grrrr............

clearly their thinking on the remote was to remove as many buttons as possible. which is why the RC7X doesnt look like every other remote on the (cable TV) market. what they need is a 2nd, more advanced remote me thinks, but that is unlikely.

I got it last night and working smooth and quickly but lost all my recordings I had saved!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts