New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
ouch,
looks like i cant give one to my wife for Valentines day now.
Course, it would have been better if she bought me one for Valentines day...

I'm counting down the days... It looks like these things will be the answer to a lot of problems.

I wonder how many of us will buy more than one? Maybe they'll be like the famous potato chips, nobody can have just one.

With the Summer Olympics coming this year, they'll surely be getting a workout over here :D ...

I will be looking to purchase at least one. If the Azbox does not play nice (see Azbox forum) i will need a newer box. sounds like it will be priced well and be a great box with great support. That in it's self will be great.

Brian, how many Mhz are Normal and Detailed steps in Blind scan mode?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by melgarga
4- user definable blindscan frequency step. Did see that the chipset did not support user definable but perhaps user selectable, from a fixed list like the LO selection feature?

ALI chipsets perform signal analysis. The parameters of the analysis have some options, but no possibility for MHz selectable steps. We have provided two Blind Scan steps: Normal and Detailed

Brian, how many Mhz are Normal and Detailed steps in Blind scan mode?

The ALI chipsets do not step through the frequencies during a blind scan. The routines could be described as spectrum scans then the blips are defined and mined for data.

The ALI chipsets do not step through the frequencies during a blind scan. The routines could be described as spectrum scans then the blips are defined and mined for data.

so the blind scan of the ALI chip is so bad because the close-together carriers look like one signal rather than two? Good to know that it isn't tuning step because I had always thought it was tuning step and that the ALI chip was horrible because there was a wide tuning step setting.

skysurfer said:
so the blind scan of the ALI chip is so bad because the close-together carriers look like one signal rather than two? Good to know that it isn't tuning step because I had always thought it was tuning step and that the ALI chip was horrible because there was a wide tuning step setting.

You read into my comments much more than I stated. The results of the blind scan are dependent on the parameters set by the engineer.

Your assertion that ALI chipsets produce "bad" or "horrible" blind scans is pure bunk. I would suggest that you not base your opinion of ALI chipsets on the performance of the Manhattan or Openbox STBs. BTW.... I seem to recollect that hobbyist extolled the blind scanning prowess of the ALI based Traxis?

Step tuning is just the routine developed by engineers in the early days of Blind Scan implementation as a way to get through the spectrum. The failure to differentiate two adjacent carriers is in the analysis which is usually performed after a carrier is located in the noise. Both step method or spectrum analysis will locate carriers.

Once you identify anything that rises above a preset noise threashold, the decision is made of how thoroughly this potential carrier is inspected. Set the parameters too wide to find all services, the scan is slow and the end user complains. Set the parameters too narrow with missed services and the end user complains. What to do???? What to do???

Valid DVB compliant carriers are identified by the use of tables. If two SCPC carriers are side by side, they still have a table for each service. The key is to allow adequate time for the table to be logged before the routine times out and moves to the next potential carrier.

Last edited:
What to do???? What to do???

Give to USERS the ability to tweak blind scan parameters !

Your engineers/SW coders are people too, they have own preferences and habits. But we are all different and want freedom in our decisions !

Give to USERS the ability to tweak blind scan parameters

Some STB requests can only be placed on a wish list as they are not possible with any chipset. It would be nice to make everyone's dreams and wishes come true, but unfortunately some parameters cannot be adjusted by the end user. Many parameters must be hard coded as they have purpose in other tuning routines.

The microHD will initially feature two blind scan settings. We could potentially add additional settings for a future version if the provided settings do not address the required functions.

The microHD supports these user adjustable parameters:
  • Normal / Detailed (this allows for extra time in the routines to analyze multiple or large, complex tables)
  • Start / Stop Frequency Range
  • High / Medium / Low or ALL Symbol Rates
  • Horizontal / Vertical or Both Polarities
  • TV / Radio / Data or all Service Types
  • Unencrypted or ALL
  • One or Multiple Satellites

Some STB requests can only be placed on a wish list as they are not possible with any chipset. It would be nice to make everyone's dreams and wishes come true, but unfortunately some parameters cannot be adjusted by the end user. Many parameters must be hard coded as they have purpose in other tuning routines.

The microHD will initially feature two blind scan settings. We could potentially add additional settings for a future version if the provided settings do not address the required functions.

• Normal / Detailed (this allows for extra time in the routines to analyze multiple or large, complex tables)
  • Unencrypted or ALL

That's pretty darned versatile. I didnt really understand the BS methodology until you explained it. I think others think like I was, ramping at fixed steps and PLLing to a strong signal to lock and analyze. The "sweep" then analyze post-sweep is probably an even more efficient means. The sweep resolution can be as high as necessary to get acceptable performance. The only variable we have is max elapse time for analysis before timeout. If real world testing indicates a need for more than 2 point control over this, it is likely doable, but the need remains to be seen. I know this box will be put thru the paces and no one can catch every single caveat, but I feel good we will have a good performer right out of the gate.
If real world application BS functions dont live up to expectations I know this team will address it.
'Bout time to get started on that "Win a MicroHD STB" aint it Brian?....lol
Open, OPen, OPEn OPEN! :hungry:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is start/stop frequency range? I thought that scanning frequency range is the same as LNBF frequency range.

• Unencrypted or ALL

you can set it to scan only a small set of freqencies

Like if you know a sports feed is somewhere in the 12XXX area (but dont know where) why have it scan 11700-12200 when you can have it start at 12000 and end at 12200. Then it would only blindscan 12000-12200

Your assertion that ALI chipsets produce "bad" or "horrible" blind scans is pure bunk. I would suggest that you not base your opinion of ALI chipsets on the performance of the Manhattan or Openbox STBs. BTW.... I seem to recollect that hobbyist extolled the blind scanning prowess of the ALI based Traxis?

I still stand by my assertion - only about 18 of 48 known carriers on a satmex bird were found by the S10 and Manhattan that I have. I have the Traxis also and it stinks in blind scan as it misses lots of below 2500 SR signals and signals close together. I haven't put it to the satmex test but I would expect it would be about as poor of performer as the S10/Manhattan (percentage wise -- once you strip out DVB-S2 known signals from the 48 total knowns to come up with the master number of DVB-S signals to base the percentage on).

I can't wait to see what the MicroHD does as far as blind scan performance when I get one for the family room's HD receiver - I would call it a success if it will find at least 66% of all the known signals on Satmex using the better of the two configurations you say there will be.

I still stand by my assertion - only about 18 of 48 known carriers on a satmex bird were found by the S10 and Manhattan that I have. I have the Traxis also and it stinks in blind scan as it misses lots of below 2500 SR signals and signals close together.

Please share the SatMex Blind scan testing results of the logged transponder/channel list along with your location, dish size, LNB(f) brand/model/configuration. I will will be happy to rescan SatMex nexxt week and post the Blind Scan results of the microHD for your comparison.

The missing Symbol Rates below 2500 could be related to the tuner selection. The microHD uses the on-board, single IC, Airoha AV2011 tuner and we saw a dramatic increase in performance over the old style tuner modules like those found on the Manhattan, Openbox and Traxis STBs. The microHD easily logs transponders below S/2 2500. I recall several scans providing several transponders with S/R below 1000.

Last edited:
The missing Symbol Rates below 2500 could be related to the tuner selection. The microHD uses the on-board, single IC, Airoha AV2011 tuner and we saw a dramatic increase in performance over the old style tuner modules like those found on the Manhattan, Openbox and Traxis STBs. The microHD easily logs transponders below S/2 2500. I recall several scans providing several transponders with S/R below 1000.
Would be nice to see technical info. This is marketing page.

Please share the SatMex Blind scan testing results of the logged transponder/channel list along with your location, dish size, LNB(f) brand/model/configuration. I will will be happy to rescan SatMex nexxt week and post the Blind Scan results of the microHD for your comparison.

I'll do the blind scans with the MicroHD when I buy it in April or whenever it goes public and let you know how it compares in both modes. I consider my list as confidential because there are lots of signals not shown on the various public fta list sites and I don't want to lose the sports channels and channels with some of the actual attractive latinas in bikinis on entertainment/vairety shows that I enjoy if the info were to be posted here and shared on the various sites, especially feedkiller's site.

so why not PM it to him or ask for his e-mail? I'm sure he can run a test on the MicroHD and report back but not disclose frequencies and stuff :)

Please PM the information and it will be considered confidential and we could agree to only publicly disclose the percentage of found -vs- available with generalizations on the proximity to adjacent carriers, symbol rate, etc.

Rather than question assertions then take a wait and see approach, let's be proactive.... I would like to take advantage of your observations and testing to build a better mousetrap!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)