New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
that includes the MPEG-4 4:2:2? I know most people clammor for MPEG-2 4:2:2. I"m curious about the MPEG-4 4:2:2 flavor since that appears to be where feeds are heading and it would be nice to have a STB do that instead of having to use the PC.

No need to read between the lines. For clarity...... The microHD will NOT support 4:2:2 in either MPEG2 or MPEG4. As a hobbyist, I am a dreamer and an innovator, As a businessman, I must be a realist..... 4:2:2 signal processing with a sub $200 consumer STB is not currently possible. The North American FTA market is a sub $200 STB market.

I have many friends in the uplink business and in talking with more than a dozen engineers they believe that 4:2:2 processing will not continue on any substantial scale. 4:2:2 was a method to provide increased apparent resolution and PQ within the confines of bandwidth and legacy equipment. As UL/DL sites transition to new MPEG4 encoders/decoders they are slowing testing and transitioning to the many constellation options that were not previously available. These options are providing real resolution and resulting PQ within narrower bandwidths and meeting the demands of both the engineers and the bean counters.

If any member has information that these professionals have neglected to share or are hiding, please educate me by PM....

I hope that we could continue to focus this thread on the features that the microHD will be capable of supporting. 4:2:2 is not one of the features.

No need to read between the lines. For clarity...... The microHD will NOT support 4:2:2 in either MPEG2 or MPEG4. As a hobbyist, I am a dreamer and an innovator, As a businessman, I must be a realist..... 4:2:2 signal processing with a sub $200 consumer STB is not currently possible. The North American FTA market is a sub $200 STB market.

I have many friends in the uplink business and in talking with more than a dozen engineers they believe that 4:2:2 processing will not continue on any substantial scale. 4:2:2 was a method to provide increased apparent resolution and PQ within the confines of bandwidth and legacy equipment. As UL/DL sites transition to new MPEG4 encoders/decoders they are slowing testing and transitioning to the many constellation options that were not previously available. These options are providing real resolution and resulting PQ within narrower bandwidths and meeting the demands of both the engineers and the bean counters.

If any member has information that these professionals have neglected to share or are hiding, please educate me by PM....

I hope that we could continue to focus this thread on the features that the microHD will be capable of supporting. 4:2:2 is not one of the features.

Would it be beneficial to produce the MicroHD2 with the Mpeg 2 4.2.2 and the Mpeg 4 4.2.2 for those who are interested in those features. Is it possible to produce 200 of these boxes or by special order once the software of the MicroHD would work just with the enabling of the chip to have those features.

Just thinking out loud on whether this would be possible or not?

Candid

:facepalm:dead

200 units just isn't an economical production run. In fact, it's not even a production run. It costs money to set up a run, and to make any kind of money you need a lot of units produced. Usually thousands.

Brian has made it just about as clear as it can be. His new box isn't going to do 4:2:2 in any way, shape, or form. If you want or need 4:2:2, do what I and others have done: get an Azbox. It does 4:2:2 and costs more than $200.

Last edited:
(Azbox) It does 4:2:2 and costs more than $200.
Only if it's _MPEG-2_ 4:2:2. That covers most stuff but not all stuff transmitted in 4:2:2, btw. as for the microHD, ok that it won't do 4:2:2 of any compression. I thought the MPEG-4 codecs might be more available for that but apparently not.

Would it be beneficial to produce the MicroHD2 with the Mpeg 2 4.2.2 and the Mpeg 4 4.2.2 for those who are interested in those features. Is it possible to produce 200 of these boxes or by special order once the software of the MicroHD would work just with the enabling of the chip to have those features.

Just thinking out loud on whether this would be possible or not?

Candid

If 4:2:2 was as simple as enabling the feature in the microHD chipset, we would not be having this discussion. Anything is possible...... I have a $10,000 monoblock LNBF sitting on my desk. If we had produced two, they would have only cost $5,000 each! ;)

If 4:2:2 was as simple as enabling the feature in the microHD chipset, we would not be having this discussion. Anything is possible...... I have a $10,000 monoblock LNBF sitting on my desk. If we had produced two, they would have only cost $5,000 each! ;)

Exactly.

I am following this thread and was just thinking out loud after reading the interest of some for the 4.2.2. I have no idea whether it has something to do with the chip or not.

Some men see things as they are and ask 'why?' I dream things that never were and ask 'why not ?' George Bernard Shaw

Candid

Honestly, 4:2:2 has never been a deal maker or deal breaker for me. Most, if not all, PVR enabled boxes will record a 4:2:2 stream, and the stream can be played back on a PC or hardware media player. The box will output audio from a 4:2:2 channel, so you can get a good idea of what's there. And as others have said, there are fewer and fewer 4:2:2 feeds, not more and more of them.

The most important features to me are ability to record high bitrate feeds, stable firmware and a reliable source for updates, tweaks for scanning and other options, and inter-operation with a wide variety of equipment. The microHD offers all of this and more.

Honestly, 4:2:2 has never been a deal maker or deal breaker for me. Most, if not all, PVR enabled boxes will record a 4:2:2 stream, and the stream can be played back on a PC or hardware media player. The box will output audio from a 4:2:2 channel, so you can get a good idea of what's there. And as others have said, there are fewer and fewer 4:2:2 feeds, not more and more of them.

The most important features to me are ability to record high bitrate feeds, stable firmware and a reliable source for updates, tweaks for scanning and other options, and inter-operation with a wide variety of equipment. The microHD offers all of this and more.

Because YOU ain't a sports Fan, J. Football (CBS), Some (actually most) Indycar races last year were 4:2:2 HD, Some of the bullriding feeds are 4:2:2 HD, ESPN Nascar is H264 HD 4:2:2 (when it aint scrambled, good luck with that one, H264 4:2:2 Maxed out my 3gHz AMD quad core processor trying to play it one time when it wasn't scrambled....lol)

I've worn the numbers off my Azbox remote just for that reason. No box gets more use. HOWEVER, I think Brian's new box is gonna kick ass! :cool:

Last edited:
The composite video output is default and set for NTSC 480i. The HDMI is fully CEC compliant the resolution can be set by source, connected monitor or manual selection in these resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p!!!

Brian, only thing I can't seem to find out about on this thread: Does the unit do component video out?

no.
HDMI on the back
a 3.5mm pin to 3 RCA cable for composite

pic of the back earlier in the thread
attachment.php

and the post with the question
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...crohd-receiver-coming-soon-2.html#post2686026

no.
HDMI on the back
a 3.5mm pin to 3 RCA cable for composite

pic of the back earlier in the thread
attachment.php

and the post with the question
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...crohd-receiver-coming-soon-2.html#post2686026

Thanks, Iceberg. I did see both those posts, and your question about the a/v breakout cable and the H25 (which I know nothing about!) cable to get component on the H25, didn't seem to get answered (especially to me) about whether component video was possible with the microHD.

Brian, Sorry for not answering sooner (I was out of town), in refference to post #369, I missunderstood the meaning of LAN, and assumed that it meant something related to the USB port.

Iceberg explanation was quite clear.

Thanks, Iceberg. I did see both those posts, and your question about the a/v breakout cable and the H25 (which I know nothing about!) cable to get component on the H25, didn't seem to get answered (especially to me) about whether component video was possible with the microHD.

no component is no an option

There is always the HDMI to Component Adapter with left/right RCA audio and SPDIF audio breakout. Amazon has several versions for around $30.

Can we do an updated first post on all of the known information on this reciver, Price, features, avalablity date, ect of the important information so one doesnt have to look through 40 pages of information. Also can one preorder the unit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts