New Google Pixel Phone

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I've really come to like my Nexus 6P, despite not caring for it much at first. The new Pixel phones are a disappointment to me hardwarewise. Slightly smaller screen, no front facing stereo speakers, cheap plastic design. I'm not that impressed. I was also disappointed that no tablets were announced. Never used my tablets that much, but it's been a few years, and I am interested in a high end tablet that will not be orphaned within one version of Android like my previous three tablets.

"Cheap plastic design"? I thought they were crafted from aluminum and glass. Maybe they just look plasticky. Like all phones, though, it will end up in a case so what it looks like only matters to the front.

it will end up in a case so what it looks like only matters to the front.
It is interesting that you mention that but I've noticed a shift of late: covers are less prevalent than they used to be.

Where I work, the people who don't wear coveralls stopped using cases and covers with their new phones. I know there were some complaints about charging and using the phones but I don't think that's it. Some of this may come from larger phones being too hard to grasp when covered.

"Cheap plastic design"? I thought they were crafted from aluminum and glass. Maybe they just look plasticky. Like all phones, though, it will end up in a case so what it looks like only matters to the front.

Yes it looks plasticky, especially the front. My thought process is, if corners are cut with this, where else are they cut. The price is also insane. The lowest price Pixel phone this year, is the same price as the best Nexus phone from last year. I paid either $500 or $550 for my Nexus 6P 64GB, the regular Pixel is $650 for 32gigs and a smaller, lower resolution screen.

Im on project FI so I ordered one. If I don't like it, I'm sure I'll be able to recoup most of the cost unless I just return to google.

I suppose the only way to see these in person will be at the carrier stores? Or will Best Buy, Walmart, etc., also have the Google Pixel?

There is a great opportunity to pitch this to replace those Note 7s.

But I don't think there'll be much success in that.

Having the Nexus 6p this really looks to me like an overall downgrade. I'm also on FI so am limited on phone selection but the 6p has been great. At the very least will stick with it another year.

Having the Nexus 6p this really looks to me like an overall downgrade. I'm also on FI so am limited on phone selection but the 6p has been great. At the very least will stick with it another year.
Curious, screen size aside what else would be a downgrade?

Granted it might not be that much of an upgrade either, but a 2 gen newer processor and an extra gig of ram is a substantial bump in hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Curious, screen size aside what else would be a downgrade?

Granted it might not be that much of an upgrade either, but a 2 gen newer processor and an extra gig of ram is a substantial bump in hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Aside from the screen, no two front facing speakers which is also big thing. Battery and camera is the same. Bloated OS compared the "pure" android the nexus phones have. I don't see the cpu and ram as substantial upgrades but that's my opinion of course and am well aware of the specs. The bump is needed when you run a bloated OS similar to other phones out there. Throw in the major price hike and that's why to me it feels like a downgrade. I'll probably wait and see what comes next in this pixel line of phones because eventually you have to upgrade :rolleyes

Reactions: Ronnie-
Smaller screen size and no dual front facing speakers are my two big issues. I really miss my almost 6" screen of the One Max. A few tenths of an inch smaller Nexus 6P doesn't sound like a lot, until you take those stupid on screen buttons into account. Now the Pixel XL is a few tenths of an inch smaller than the Nexus 6P. If the Pixel XL had it's current 5.5" display w/ capacitive touch buttons, I would consider that aspect of it a wash. I'll see what next years crop of Pixel's bring. The camera on the Nexus 6P is good enough for me, considering I don't use my phone to take pictures that often. My only problem is the annoying stutter with the camera, when switching from landscape to portrait. Battery life has been great and exceeded my expectations. Never really had any slowdowns, but I did do a complete factory reset after going from 6 to 6.0.1 and from 6.0.1 to 7, and I will do one when going from 7 to 7.1.

The price of the Pixel XL is also insane, Yes, it is inline with other flagships, but it's not inline with Nexus. If my Nexus 6P died right now and I was to spend upwards of $800 on a phone, I wouldn't think about it twice, I would go with the HP Elite Windows Phone.

I went ahead and ordered a pixel based on reviews and my own experience playing with it. My uncle got one last week to replace his nexus 6p, and his own recommendation made me pull the trigger.

I have the s7 edge as a work phone, so I am replacing my iphone 6 this time around. For that reason i went with the regular pixel instead of the XL to not be carrying two larger devices (funny how 5 inches is "small" in a phone these days)

24 hours in now, and VERY pleased. The speed of this thing is unrivaled.

I also carry the s7 edge, and the pixel is faster at every task I have thrown at it. Screen navigation and app loading is faster than any device I have used.

The camera lives up to the hype, and so far the battery life is about what I expected.

The build quality is premium. I wasn't expecting it to be as top knotch as it is. Easily equaling the galaxy series or the iPhone.

I'll give some more observations as I have more time with it and the "new" wears off.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh, by the pics I was expecting this thing to look more like an iPhone than it does. It's similar, alott of phones are these days, but quite different as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)