New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And I thought HD was confusing to explain to people with 720p, 1080i, and 1080p and that all digital isn't HD.
4K HDR, HLG, 10-what now? How does someone check their TV (without Directv 4K) to know which version of 4K they have? Dare I ask what on earth the difference is and, if like 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, it's a difference not worth fighting over? At the time I got my 4K TV, I had never seen these terms.

Reactions: TermiNader
And I thought HD was confusing to explain to people with 720p, 1080i, and 1080p and that all digital isn't HD.
4K HDR, HLG, 10-what now? How does someone check their TV (without Directv 4K) to know which version of 4K they have? Dare I ask what on earth the difference is and, if like 720p, 1080i, and 1080p, it's a difference not worth fighting over? At the time I got my 4K TV, I had never seen these terms.
Don't forget about Dolby Vision. :)

HDR10, HDR+(Dynamic HDR), HLG(Broadcast version of HDR10 to be simple) and Dolby Vision are your formats. Directv and UK providers are using HLG, because that is what it is for. You will see HDR10 and DV on discs and streaming, and HDR10+ is a bastard used by Samsung and a few others because they just had to be different and not use DV. If buying a set, just make sure it handles HDR10, HLG and DV, which most being sold in 2017 will do fine.

I think much of the 2016 and 2017 gear has gotten updates for HLG.

HDR10, HDR+(Dynamic HDR), HLG(Broadcast version of HDR10 to be simple) and Dolby Vision are your formats. Directv and UK providers are using HLG, because that is what it is for. You will see HDR10 and DV on discs and streaming, and HDR10+ is a bastard used by Samsung and a few others because they just had to be different and not use DV. If buying a set, just make sure it handles HDR10, HLG and DV, which most being sold in 2017 will do fine.

I think much of the 2016 and 2017 gear has gotten updates for HLG.
I've seen most that handle the HDR10, but very few that mention HLG.

HDR expands the range of both contrast and color significantly. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter, so the image seems to have more "depth." Colors get expanded to show more bright blues, greens, reds and everything in between. You also get Wide Color Gamut with HDR. That brings even more colors to the table. Colors that, so far, were impossible to reproduce on any television. The reds of a fire truck, the deep violet of an eggplant, even the green of many street signs. You may have never noticed before that these weren't exactly how they looked in real life, but you sure will now. WCG will bring these colors and millions more to your eyeballs.

What I'm a bit peeved at is if the C61K says your TV is HDR capable, then it should work when it's clear on many older Samsungs it doesnt even though the C61K says it can.

Reactions: TermiNader
True, it may be there just not talked about.

I honestly figured we would never see HLG in use too much, I assumed Directv would roll with HDR10, but I guess HLG makes more sense because it is for broadcast tv.

It is setup like lossless audio on blu-ray, where if you gear can do it, you get Master HD and True HD, if not you get DD and DTS 5.1. If your display can do HLG you get HDR, if not you get the SDR version of it.

So if your TV supports HDR10 it will support HLG, and if it supports DV it will support HDR10+, or does the TV need to specifically say it supports HLG and HDR10+?

"Other showings" limited to the exact same episode sucks. Have to jump around to "search" to find upcoming episodes. Can't find where to look at other receiver's Playlists. Used to be able to switch the Playlist from Local to All receivers. Big negative design - where are the videos explaining the changes and where they hid the functions you used to use.

So if your TV supports HDR10 it will support HLG, and if it supports DV it will support HDR10+, or does the TV need to specifically say it supports HLG and HDR10+?
It needs to specifically support all of them. HLG. HDR10 HDR10+ and DV are all different types

Lots TVs only support 1 or 2 or some all of them

If "regular" 4K is 3840 x 2160p ... what is HDR and all if its friends?
In addition to what others have posted above, it's probably easier to break it down to the bits:

Standard Dynamic Range maps primary colors into 8-bit space, so you can have primary color values of 0-255.
High Dynamic Range-10 maps that into 10-bit space, so you can have primary color values from 0-1023
Dolby Vision can support 12-bit, so you can have primary color values from 0-4095

It's basically less color compression.

Not nessasarly. The issue that I and many Samsung owners are running into is we have HDR10 support on our sets late 2014 - early 2016 sets, but Samsung still has yet to roll out HLG to those sets. In our case C61K is reporting that our sets are HDR capable but are not decoding the HLG standard. The way the standard is writtend it's my understanding that If your TV an do HDR10, then all would be needed is a software update for HLG. I have been trying to get a hold of someone at samsung who isnt from the phillipeans in US based support but that seems to be like pulling teeth.

Not nessasarly. The issue that I and many Samsung owners are running into is we have HDR10 support on our sets late 2014 - early 2016 sets, but Samsung still has yet to roll out HLG to those sets. In our case C61K is reporting that our sets are HDR capable but are not decoding the HLG standard. The way the standard is writtend it's my understanding that If your TV an do HDR10, then all would be needed is a software update for HLG. I have been trying to get a hold of someone at samsung who isnt from the phillipeans in US based support but that seems to be like pulling teeth.
Sony is in the same boat also

In addition to what others have posted above, it's probably easier to break it down to the bits:

Standard Dynamic Range maps primary colors into 8-bit space, so you can have primary color values of 0-255.
High Dynamic Range-10 maps that into 10-bit space, so you can have primary color values from 0-1023
Dolby Vision can support 12-bit, so you can have primary color values from 0-4095

It's basically less color compression.

Only discussing Wide Color Gamut in that, HDR still has its effects because these displays can be 8-9 times brighter than older non HDR displays too. Gives you a contrast ratio POP along with better colors.

For example my VT50 had a black level of 0.001 footlamberts and a peak white of 45 footlamberts. This 940E has a black level around 0.001, and a peak of 380 footlamberts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.