New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Search iamanedgecutter on your D* recvr.

You will see an additional Misc. Options folder in the Menu when its done .... could take a little time to show up,I don't remember.
Shows up right away.

Hopefully CE tonight, will Q it up for auto-update, as I get up way too early and fall asleep prior. I updated the python script to reboot via the IP, no menu walk or using the a relay as this is the cleanest way

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.36.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.36.18 AM.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 137
I got the email that said I am getting the new guide on 3-29 but I still don't have it.
You know you really don't have to wait for it, you get grab the update from 3 AM to 7 AM ET, but I know some don't like do so, but just tossing it out there. When they push it will be during that time slot and the current version is 0X1037. There is no difference from a push or a pull, but I do understand why some want to wait for the push.

I still see people freaking out on the AT&T forums when they get updated to the new GUI, boy do these folks have a grudge against it. I can say when I first got it I hated it too, but after using it for a while I actually like it now. Since first release they have improved the guide in small strides so it's not that bad and as of now I really have zero issues or bugs popping up. When it was first released and I got it back in Nov it was an awful mess as it was ridden with issues all over the place. I doubt the guide will improve until they get rid of SD entirely and sunset the need to support 4:3 with16:9 being the default and only choice. I think the guide is optimized for both setups and because of that we lose inches on the left and right which is valuable space for optimizing the guide on larger TV's.

This is just my guess on it, see attached, lots of wasted space on the sides.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.47.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 7.47.57 AM.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 215
Reactions: whitewolf8214
I doubt the guide will improve until they get rid of SD entirely and sunset the need to support 4:3 with16:9 being the default and only choice.

They aren't "getting rid of SD entirely" they are getting rid of MPEG2 SD. All the MPEG2 SD only channels (i.e. the ones Directv isn't also carrying in HD) will continue to be carried, as MPEG4 SD, and many of those will remain 4:3.

They aren't "getting rid of SD entirely" they are getting rid of MPEG2 SD. All the MPEG2 SD only channels (i.e. the ones Directv isn't also carrying in HD) will continue to be carried, as MPEG4 SD, and many of those will remain 4:3.
Guess I was trying to come up with reasons why the guide wastes space on the sides etc. No idea really to be honest, just thinking out loud.

Should be CE tonight, but not sure yet.

Shows up right away.

Hopefully CE tonight, will Q it up for auto-update, as I get up way too early and fall asleep prior. I updated the python script to reboot via the IP, no menu walk or using the a relay as this is the cleanest way
So, what happens when you set this up and fall asleep, like many of us do, and there is no CE, you'll get sent back to the National Release.
Would you really want to go back to the NR ?

How many channels do they have that are SD only ?
Not including Religious and Shopping channels.

Just flipping through, I see 261, 272, 291, 293, 297, 300, 302, 303, 306, 321, 323, 330, 338, 349, 357, 364, 468, 469, 602, 603, 605, and full time feeds full 660 and 661. I didn't include the non-sports Spanish channels (most are SD), the international channels on 95 (all are SD but moving), the premium channels (a couple are SD only still), PI channels (which includes virtually all of the religious channels), or shopping channels. So there's a ways to go. There are more international HD channels (5 of them, ch 385, 2010, 2011, 2040, 2080) than there are HD PI channels (0).

For some reason today, my posters disappeared, logos are still there, but all the posters went away.

Well, as of 4/4/18 the national channel counts were ...

HD = 265
MPEG-2 SD = 414
MPEG-4 SD = 11
http://iamanedgecutter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1946&d=1522844325

So how many of these 425 SD channels do not have HD duplicates is therefore somewhere north of 160 up to around perhaps 170 (to account for national HD channels without SD versions).

Subtracting shopping and religious channels. Well ... you'll just have to do the homework on that by determining their count from the latest TPN channel map.

http://iamanedgecutter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1947&d=1522877583

Reactions: Jimbo
Well, as of 4/4/18 the national channel counts were ...

HD = 265
MPEG-2 SD = 414
MPEG-4 SD = 11
http://iamanedgecutter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1946&d=1522844325

So how many of these 425 SD channels do not have HD duplicates is therefore somewhere north of 160 up to around perhaps 170 (to account for national HD channels without SD versions).

Subtracting shopping and religious channels. Well ... you'll just have to do the homework on that by determining their count from the latest TPN channel map.

http://iamanedgecutter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1947&d=1522877583

Don't forget to subtract out the music channels, and the 'satellite test' channels in the 9500s, that accounts for around 100 between the two of them and obviously those will never go HD.

Reactions: Jimbo
So, what happens when you set this up and fall asleep, like many of us do, and there is no CE, you'll get sent back to the National Release.
Would you really want to go back to the NR ?
Good question, since there was no confirmation of CE yesterday I suspended the job for this week. I woke up around midnight for a bio break, checked to see if any CE. So if there was a CE after all I would have started the update job on my phone. Other option would be for me to stick with Saturday since I would have a day to enable or disable it. Wish I could have it do a redh lookup and update if it sees a different version from NA or old GUI via Python but would be a new skill for me.

Don't forget to subtract out the music channels, and the 'satellite test' channels in the 9500s, that accounts for around 100 between the two of them and obviously those will never go HD.
Yes, I forgot about subtracting those ...

Now how about deleting the channels that NEVER get watched ....
Of course, thats subject to who's watching what.

I could probably pick 50 channels (probably many less) and do away with the rest.
I know, ala carte cost more. :(

Now, this is just me, but my viewing for the majority of the time is in the 200's and a few in the 300's none in the 400's or 500's (I'm not a big movie person)
600's and 700's for the sports channels and a few in the 800's for a few music channels ...

Now I could pair the 300's down to about maybe 5 tops, just my local RSN in the 600's, in the 700's only for the NFL and MLB.
So in reality thats only about 8 channels from 300 to 800, if you only count MY teams in the 600-800 range.

So, out of the 200's I'll pair down to channels I watch as well as channels that I may watch a few times, just for the benefit of doubt.

OK, in the 200's I count 40 channels that I have watched, some only a few times a year if something happens to catch my eye, but I'll count them as well ...

So I was pretty close to my 50 channel estimate, I ended up at 48 ...
Remember that included MY Sports teams.

Good question, since there was no confirmation of CE yesterday I suspended the job for this week. I woke up around midnight for a bio break, checked to see if any CE. So if there was a CE after all I would have started the update job on my phone. Other option would be for me to stick with Saturday since I would have a day to enable or disable it. Wish I could have it do a redh lookup and update if it sees a different version from NA or old GUI via Python but would be a new skill for me.
Sounds like your asking for it to do something that I don't know if its possible ...

Sounds like you need a kid ... !
Most kids love to stay up late, have them check and run it if its there ... while you SLEEP !!!!!

Sounds like your asking for it to do something that I don't know if its possible ...

Sounds like you need a kid ... !
Most kids love to stay up late, have them check and run it if its there ... while you SLEEP !!!!!
I will get to work on it. :)

Reactions: RandallA
Status
Please reply by conversation.