New Guide UI now rolling out (plus HDR support!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Actually, they already do - if you want to get 4K in a commercial install the Directv supported solution is one HR54 and C61K per TV. :coco

That is, with the HR54's DVR functionality disabled for commercial installs of course for those wondering ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

That is, with the HR54's DVR functionality disabled for commercial installs of course for those wondering ...

Since DVR service has to be enabled for an account, that's taken care of by the fact that they won't enable DVR functionality on a public viewing account. Probably their system doesn't even permit it.

Why, what's wrong with the client/server for commercial? I see no advantages to standalone receivers, and considering the age of the H25 and how unlikely it is they'll ever make a standalone 4K receiver IMHO it is only a matter of time before they support clients in commercial installs.

Actually, they already do - if you want to get 4K in a commercial install the Directv supported solution is one HR54 and C61K per TV. :coco
  • There ya go, outside of the Required 4k box, you dont need the HS17 for Commercial account.
  • One thing no one seems to think about ... your usually not gonna find Bars with internet .... therefore the D* now is not an option.

Why would the DVR be turned off on a Commercial account ?
Because for commercial accounts DIRECTV wants to collect revenue for every time a show is possibly veiwed by the public. And sets their monthly rates accordingly for those accounts.

If a commercial establishment is allowed to record shows they can replay them to public audiences as many times as they want without DIRECTV being compensated for each showing.

• There ya go, outside of the Required 4k box, you dont need the HS17 for Commercial account.
  • One thing no one seems to think about ... your usually not gonna find Bars with internet .... therefore the D* now is not an option.

I doubt there any bars that don't have internet. You need a way to run credit cards and doing it via phone line is pretty slow, you have a server for your POS system and they almost always run Windows and need security updates and a way for support to get in if something breaks. You need it to provide wireless for customers...

That said, Directv Now isn't an option because streaming to every TV is going to take a LOT of bandwidth, not to mention it isn't available for commercial accounts.

Not sure why you say you "don't need" the HS17 for commercial account. Yeah, of course you don't NEED it, but the hokey way Directv makes 4K available to commercial accounts is obviously not the long term solution. So you can choose to believe they will build their first standalone receiver since 2012 to make a 4K receiver for commercial accounts, or that they will at some point support Genie 2 (not necessarily the HS17, maybe it will be some future model like the HS27) with clients for them.

Question is WHY ?

Because it is illegal. The fact we can use DVRs in our homes for personal use is lucky - Universal and Walt Disney sued Sony over their Betamax VCR in the 70s, claiming that it was a device intended for copyright infringement. Technically, recording a program and watching it later infringes on the copyright as it is a "rebroadcast". Luckily the Supreme Court held (in a very narrow 5-4 victory that almost didn't happen) that it was 'fair use' under copyright law, which allowed for in-home recording.

That fair-use exemption is not true for public viewing like in a bar or restaurant. It is actually a violation of copyright to show copyrighted material in public like that, the only way in which it is legal is if it is specifically allowed by law (which it is for OTA TV and radio only) or by contract (like when you pay commercial public viewing rates for Directv) They would have to specifically allow use of a DVR in their commercial contract with Directv. They do not, thus if you brought a DVR from home to use you could be sued by ESPN (or whoever owned what you recorded and played back later) for copyright infringement. Which is a fine of up to $150,000 per incident.

Anything that doesn't specifically allow for 'public performance' isn't legal. So no Netflix, HBO Go, Apple Music, Spotify, Directv Now, Sling TV, ESPN3, etc. etc.

I doubt there any bars that don't have internet. You need a way to run credit cards and doing it via phone line is pretty slow, you have a server for your POS system and they almost always run Windows and need security updates and a way for support to get in if something breaks. You need it to provide wireless for customers...

That said, Directv Now isn't an option because streaming to every TV is going to take a LOT of bandwidth, not to mention it isn't available for commercial accounts.

Not sure why you say you "don't need" the HS17 for commercial account. Yeah, of course you don't NEED it, but the hokey way Directv makes 4K available to commercial accounts is obviously not the long term solution. So you can choose to believe they will build their first standalone receiver since 2012 to make a 4K receiver for commercial accounts, or that they will at some point support Genie 2 (not necessarily the HS17, maybe it will be some future model like the HS27) with clients for them.
You may be surprised, but 95% of the businesses that have internet , have it specifically for what you mentioned, running thier credit card machine .... and they generally have maybe 3 mg tops, usually 1.5 ..... this keeps the employees off it as well.

Because it is illegal. The fact we can use DVRs in our homes for personal use is lucky - Universal and Walt Disney sued Sony over their Betamax VCR in the 70s, claiming that it was a device intended for copyright infringement. Technically, recording a program and watching it later infringes on the copyright as it is a "rebroadcast". Luckily the Supreme Court held (in a very narrow 5-4 victory that almost didn't happen) that it was 'fair use' under copyright law, which allowed for in-home recording.

That fair-use exemption is not true for public viewing like in a bar or restaurant. It is actually a violation of copyright to show copyrighted material in public like that, the only way in which it is legal is if it is specifically allowed by law (which it is for OTA TV and radio only) or by contract (like when you pay commercial public viewing rates for Directv) They would have to specifically allow use of a DVR in their commercial contract with Directv. They do not, thus if you brought a DVR from home to use you could be sued by ESPN (or whoever owned what you recorded and played back later) for copyright infringement. Which is a fine of up to $150,000 per incident.

Anything that doesn't specifically allow for 'public performance' isn't legal. So no Netflix, HBO Go, Apple Music, Spotify, Directv Now, Sling TV, ESPN3, etc. etc.
So, with football season starting, a bar can't show last years Super Bowl as filler to pass time ?

Say was there a newer CE version released yesterday evening?

At first was happy with 0x113D last week on my HR54 and especially the end of the stupid black bar.

But then noticed that after about 2-3 days the box would slow down to a crawl with as much as 10 sec. between remote commands and responses. And the responses were very sluggish or freeze up altogether.

A restart fixes things, but after 2-3 days the same would happen.

Had to go back to 1104 this morning with its dumb black bar and slower speed after I woke to the Genie again slowing to a crawl before freezing up completely.

Reactions: skinnyJM
Say was there a newer CE version released yesterday evening?

At first was happy with 0x113D last week on my HR54 and especially the end of the stupid black bar.

But then noticed that after about 2-3 days the box would slow down to a crawl with as much as 10 sec. between remote commands and responses. And the responses were very sluggish or freeze up altogether.

A restart fixes things, but after 2-3 days the same would happen.

Had to go back to 1104 this morning with its dumb black bar and slower speed after I woke to the Genie again slowing to a crawl before freezing up completely.

Same exact symptoms here, except on HR44-500. If no CE tonight, then will also have to roll back to 1104.

I've had the sluggishness as we, however i rebooted and so far the issue hasn't reappeared.
How long since you rebooted though?

As my HR54-500 did the same, but 2-3 days later same result ...

Box bogged down to a complete halt again.

Someone reported running a clearmybox2 helped resolve

I believe I rebooted on Wednesday and its running fine now still.
(got company over for the Buckeyes game tonight .... should I reboot just to be safe ?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)