New guy OTA antennas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brady239

Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Upstate NY
I'm probably posting a little premature here, but I like the research part of buying things. I won't even be able to get my TV until September, but want to have everything figured out for the most part once I can. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic 42PX60U and want to try to get as many OTA stations as possible once its up and running.

Here's some background info. I like on the 2nd floor of a 2 story apartment building (for now) facing south. I have a porch facing south with some pine trees behind it but no large buildings. My zip code is 12065 and antennaweb says I'm about 20 miles from the Digital station towers all at 230 degrees (which is about southwest looking at the street level map).

* yellow - uhf WMHT-DT 17.1 PBS SCHENECTADY NY 230° 19.4 miles
* yellow - vhf WNYT-DT 13.1 NBC ALBANY NY 230° 19.5 miles
* yellow - vhf WXXA-DT 23.1 FOX ALBANY NY 229° 20.0 miles
* yellow - uhf WRGB-DT 6.1 CBS SCHENECTADY NY 230° 19.4 miles
* yellow - uhf WTEN-DT 10.1 ABC ALBANY NY 230° 19.5 miles
* red - uhf WCWN-DT 45.1 WB SCHENECTADY NY 230° 19.4 miles

At first I thought I might be able to get away with the Zenith indoor antenna, but after reading around I'm not sure. I can't really mount anything outside, but I could figure a way to attach something to my porch outside using zip ties and a pole or something, but then I'd have to figure a way to get the cable inside.

Again I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions. I looked at the CM3021 and the CM3010. The 3010 is a little large for my situation. Do you think an indoor antenna is not going to cut it? I don't think it will. I wonder if I could put the 3021 in my utility closet off of my porch and run wire from there.

Well I can't wait until September comes, it seems years away. Thanks for any help, I look forward to reading the forum here.

Welcome to the forum. First I'd buy an indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor from some place that will let you return it (most will) if it won't perform then work up from there. It's highly directional but since you are pointing it in essentially one direction that shouldn't be a problem for you. That one might even work if you move it around inside your apartment or utility room. There are "flat" 75-ohm cable sections for routing through windows and door tracks to get a cable inside. Failing that, try a VHF/UHF outside antenna for moderate range (~50 miles?) to improve your chances. Distance is only one factor. Terrain and obstructions are equally important, and those trees you mentioned might preclude a "weaker" antenna. If you do have to go outside, you might try a Square Shooter from Winegard. It's very unobtrusive, kinda meant for your type of situation, and one version is amplified:

http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm

Good luck with your project and do report back...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. From what I've read I'm expecting more of a trial and error process, which is fine with me (I like tinkering). I've never seen the flat 75-ohm wire before, so I'll definatly check into that if need be. I've read so-so opinions on the square shooter, but I think this whole OTA this is situation and location dependent. Something that works great for one person might be terrible for the next. I'll keep you updated as time progresses. If anyone else has any additional suggestions, I'm open to all.

It's really not a cable, just a foot long "adapter" with F-connectors on each end. It's flatter than regular RG-6 cable so it can go into door or window jams. It's really only for a last resort installation where a landlord won't allow drilling a new hole for a cable. They should not be used in a situation where they are constantly being "rolled-over"; they do have a tendancy to break that way over time. But one of them might give you an option you wouldn't have otherwise for an outside antenna. I was looking for a link to it but came up empty. Search "ribbon cable" in this forum and see the comments...

I agree - there's quite a bit of art and luck to this "science", and once size certainly doesn't fit all!

Thanks for the tips. I figured I've give the Silver Sensor a shot to start as its small and indoor (double plus for me). If that doesn't work I'll look elsewhere. I figure I a step up in the battle since I'm going to be aiming it in the same direction for every channel. The direction just happens to be out my sliding glass door too for a clear shot. I'm just crossing my fingers that I can blast through the trees, hopefully being on the 2nd floor will help that a little. As they say in golf, trees are 90% air...

Will the Silver Sensor work for me since both NBC and FOX as shown as broadcasting in VHF? I know sometimes when a antenna is specified as UHF it can get some VHF signals as well.

Does the one you installed yesterday work for both UHF and VHF? I looked up the specs and while not as visually appeasing as the silver sensor it could work as an indoor antenna. I could probably find a place to hide it or at least not have it in plain sight.

Let's put it this way. If my wife sees the silver sensor arrive and me install it atop our entertainment center, I assume I'll get a big "meh" from her. If I put up the db-2 I think she'll do something along these lines :eek: :mad: "Take that thing down". You get my picture...

Also I didn't read your last post very well that said both the silver sensor and db-2were UHF only. I should have seen that.

Explain to her that without the correct antenna you have a $3500 (or however much) HD TV sitting their not able to realize its full viewing potential; thus you should have just bought a SD TV and saved a bundle of cash.

I have a similar question. I live in a slightly hilly area with quite a few tall trees. However all of my stations are less than 2 miles away. What type of indoor antenna will I need to get a solid signal?

yellow - uhf WJAR-DT 10.1 NBC PROVIDENCE RI 309° 1.4 51
yellow - uhf WNAC-DT 64.1 FOX PROVIDENCE RI 314° 1.9 54
yellow - vhf WPRI-DT 12.1 CBS PROVIDENCE RI 339° 1.7 13
yellow - uhf WSBE-DT 36.1 PBS PROVIDENCE RI 309° 1.4 36
yellow - uhf WLNE-DT 6.1 ABC NEW BEDFORD MA 309° 1.4 49

I would look at these: (in no special preference order)

Antennas Direct V10
Winegard PR 5646
Winegard PR 7000
Winegard PR 4400 (UHF but possible)
Channel Master CM 3677
Channel Master CM 3014
Channel Master CM 4221A (UHF but possible)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts