New Guy With Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kd5kjd

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
Hey folks...

Just now starting to look at FTA systems and trying to get the best bang for the buck, as I intend to keep my gear for a while. I've been kinda looking at dishes and FTA receivers online at some sites and on EBay. Now correct me if I am wrong, but I think I may have gotten the gist of this FTA dish thing...

Here is what I WANT to buy and hope to be right on with my wishes: Invacom Quad LNB QPH-031, An SG 2100 Motor and a 33" dish. I figured I could point and shoot and get the bird, no worries. No large number of LNB's on a dish... One motorized dish, aimed and the InvaCom would take care of the rest. Or am I wrong?

Since I am down south and almost in the very middle of the US, I am in Houston Texas... I was wondering what's the best dish I can get away with? I was thinking of a 33" dish, and have seen several online for sale. The prices are so-so, but the shipping is hell. So I was wondering if an elliptical might not work as well? Like an 18"x24"? Or the Dish Network 500 dish? Can I really get away with an 18" dish? Bigger is better.... Right?

Now.... to decide on the FTA receiver... This is as much fun as my other hobby... ham radio!

Luis KD5KJD

For FTA you will need at least a 31" dish but I would recommend larger (36" or 39" is a good size).

Once you correctly align the motor/dish setup then you can pick up signal from all the satellites visible to your location.

MODS - Please move to FTA section.

Several of our advertizers have package deals.
These two might suit you:
FORTEC MERCURY II SYSTEM MOTOR 36 INCH
. . . or . . .
VISIONSAT IV200 PVR MOTOR 36 INCH SYSTEM

Both receivers have gotten pretty good reviews on the forum.
They come with 36" dishes, and a suitable linear LNB
And they have cable and installation supplies to make a nice package.

When you get all your parts, you might want to take a few weeks and get used to the receiver by picking one satellite, and setting up with no motor.
Once you've got a handle on how things work, then adding the motor won't be such an uphill battle. :)

Hi Luis, nice to see you here, I'm a ham also, there are quite a few hams on this forum. As far as the fta equipment, I would get a 36" or 39" dish, FTA can be very addictive and I found if there were signals I couldn't bag, then I had to get the bigger dish. There will always be a few you can't get but you are right, the bigger the dish the better. I've had a few and really like the 3ABN 36 inch dish, it has lnbf supports which you need if you are going to use the QPH-031 lnbf...it is heavy. Don't bother with the little dishes, you won't be satisfied, most fta signals are weak compared to the dbs stuff , a bigger dish really makes a difference with the weak signals.
There are lots of receivers out there, a good blind scan is a must, some don't do it very well, read the receiver reviews here. I've had Pansats, Fortecstars, and a Coolsat 5000 and they all do an all around good job, though I must say the Coolsat is my favourite.

Thanks for all the info! I went to look at the two packages suggested and was wondering about upgrading the LNB to a InvaCom Quad... Now to figure out S & H charges and where to get updated bin files.... It'll come together soon. Possibly after Christmas...

The only software the receivers need is already loaded, and if a bug fix update is required and available, it can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Really? So what's with all those website who have 'updated' bin files for fading signals? For the 'currently available files needed to watch' FTA? I thought those files were for receivers that might have a bug or were glitchy. What gives?

Luis KD5KJD

Really? So what's with all those website who have 'updated' bin files for fading signals? For the 'currently available files needed to watch' FTA? I thought those files were for receivers that might have a bug or were glitchy. What gives?

Luis KD5KJD

FTA (Free To Air) is what we watch, it is legal and free, we do not need files to receive it, occasionally the manufacturers release bug fixes which is a good thing. :)

Unfortunately hackers also call their modified equipment FTA. Their modified equipment is illegal. What they do should be called SFTA (Stealing From The Air) :mad:

Last edited:
There are no updated files needed for 'fading signals' . They are hacking pay-tv and when their illegal software gets shut off, that's what they mean. FTA does not mean free pay tv, it is illegal.

Luis KD5KJD

Those sites should be called "FTS" Free To Steal because what they are after is a providers pay programming, we deal with LEGAL Free to Air signals.

Ummm... ok... so what's the difference between FTA and World TV? Is World TV another subscription service like Dish TV and Direct TV but with more of an international flavor?

Luis KD5KJD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)