3 lnbs 2 receivers how to wire

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Im finally getting the signal stuff sorted out and as soon as the correct power block splitters get here I want to hook everything up permanently.
So the question is how can this all be wired and controlled for the easiest operation for other family members.

Heres a list of hardware
10ft polar mount Channelmaster mesh dish w/actuator
Chaparral co rotor2 w/ servo
C band LNB 17* Cal Amp
Ku LNB .6 Norsat
DSS LNB dual output

4DTV DSR 920
Coolsat 6100

54 inch RCA with various others split off and running thru powered amp.

Ive got a 4x1 diseqc
power block /pass hi freq splitters
various hi freq splitters & DC blocks.

Can the Ku signal at the LNBs be combined as one is linear the other circular.
Both receivers will use the linear C/Ku band but the circular will be the Coolsat only.
Will I need to add a switch at the Ku LNBs?
I only have 2 coax at the dish.

Ive got a diagram for the diseqc and hookup for both receivers but wondering how to add the 3rd LNB.

You really need to run another coax in this scenario. You can't combine the KU and DSS over the same coax because they are both 950-1450 Mhz. Plus the DSS is voltage switched and the Ku LNB is not.

surely there is some kind of switch that can control the Ku circular as its only going to the Coolsat.
How about a 22K switch at the LNBs
Off position it will pass the Ku linear thru the switch
On position it will pass the Ku circular and the linear
will not pass.

You might be able to get it to work that way but you will have to control the switch with the Coolsat to ensure you can get Ku on the 920. I was thinking along the lines of what you said about "easiest operation". You already are going to have to switch polarity with the 920 for C/Ku linear. A third coax would make it unnecessary to have to switch between Ku and DSS with the Coolsat. Plus you will be introducing more loss with a 22k switch.

I would suggest wiring it like so:
Add a receiver
And make sure your Splitters are High Frequency "One Port Power Pass Through", with the power passthrough port going to your 4dtv. And use a 4x1 Diseqc Switch for the Coolsat and tie-in the DSS LNBF with one of the extra ports.
You need to run a separate line for the Circular, because the 4dtv will not support it, or at least it won't support a Diseqc switch? I think? Good Luck!

Al

Last edited:
I would suggest wiring it like so:
Add a receiver
And make sure your Splitters are High Frequency "One Port Power Pass Through", with the power passthrough port going to your 4dtv. And use a 4x1 Diseqc Switch for the Coolsat and tie-in the DSS LNBF with one of the extra ports.
You need to run a separate line for the Circular, because the 4dtv will not support it, or at least it won't support a Diseqc switch? I think? Good Luck!

Al

Thanks for the tips guys.
Thats the same diagram I had for the 4DTV to the CS.
Its going to be rather difficult to run another coax.
I put conduit in to the dish but all the wiring has been in there
at least 20 yrs so im sure it will be alot of fun getting another in .
Add to that its got to go thru the basement and into a wall thats almost impossible to fish anything else thru.
Im going to try a switch at the LNBs first,just trying to figure out which way would be best in lieu of running that extra coax.

Just got the 2nd and 3rd shipment at once via Fed ex for my high freq splittlers.
Again they got it wrong....sent another 4 with both ports power passing.
Next surprise was they sent somone elses order with a UHF/VHF signal combiner.
I guess Ill make a call again.This started out as a $14 order and I still havent gotten my correct stuff.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts