New HD at the expense of Voom?

pawdog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
After midnight Central time. I noticed there are only 5 Voom Channels left and two HD notices with news of new hd, saying less popular channels had been replaced.

I wonder if Voom will be history by the time I get up in the morning?

Monsters
Kung Fu
Rush
Equator
Rave

are all that remain at 12:43 AM CST

Very intereresting development.

Yeah, I really don't think the new channels compensate for the loss. My favorite channel, FilmFest (which recently pulled in World Cinema's programming to make way for MoviesHD) was among the casualties.

Hopefully, took these channels away to make room for the other National HD channels. BTW, what's the official count so far on National HD channels? How many do we have left to hit the 100 by the end of the year?

Hopefully, took these channels away to make room for the other National HD channels. BTW, what's the official count so far on National HD channels? How many do we have left to hit the 100 by the end of the year?

Well, they're supposed to add 22 by Wednesday, but minus 10 that only gives them 12 up. Probably between 85 and 90, counting all the channels that shouldn't really count.

The ad on 9472 directs customers to DISH Network -- Dish HD

"As of result of these additions, we removed some channels that are less popular with our customers. These channels are not available with any other satellite provider." I guess they're saying, "you can't leave us to get these channels elsewhere, so we don't feel the need to provide you with them.

They are saying they have removed "less popular" channels.

I have a hard time believing Film Fest was less popular, it was the only one I really watched with any consistancy, the only suitable replacement is a west feed of one of the movie channels or HBO2 something that shows movies. If they got rid of Filmfest so they can add World Quilting Network, I'm going to be a bit pissed.

Only dish could go one good day and then pee in our collective cornflakes the next.

So then if you watch it, it cant be less popular?

Well put my vote in the I never watched it more than 10 seconds at any given time, just stopping on it channel surfing and moving on.

So to me, it was definately one of the least popular Voom channels.

Now could they pulling of voom be a negotiating ploy as well? Get some new agreements from Voom and they could easily put them back.

AAARGH! This is really annoying. I was a Voom subscriber until they went bust. Tried my (horrible) local cable company for a short time before going back to satellite. It was because of Voom that I went with Dish rather than DirecTV.

I will definitely miss FilmFest, WorldCinema, and Gallery.

My hope is that if Dish and Voom's agreement gets broken that other companies will be able to pick up the channels. If DirecTV gets them then I'd seriously consider switching, particularly if they can come up with a reasonably priced HD-only package.

CDH.

If DirecTV gets them then I'd seriously consider switching, particularly if they can come up with a reasonably priced HD-only package.

CDH.

I do not think this thing is over. I see a great opportunity for Directv to get all of them exclusive on their system. Directv likes exclusivity and this will be a strike against E*. Tell Rainbow Media to pull out the remaining 5 channels from E* and then have them all show up on Directv exclusively. That will the ultimate punch to E* that will knock them over.

I do not think this thing is over. I see a great opportunity for Directv to get all of them exclusive on their system. Directv likes exclusivity and this will be a strike against E*. Tell Rainbow Media to pull out the remaining 5 channels from E* and then have them all show up on Directv exclusively. That will the ultimate punch to E* that will knock them over.

I will get Directv if this happens. I would get anything to back the Voom channels.

I support this decision 100%. Great move by Charlie - Voom had great potential but dropped the ball long ago. WorldSports was still showing the Pan-Am games for goodness sakes.

I agree. I would switch in a second.

I think they took the best two Voom movie channels. I came to DISH as a prior Voomer only to be screwed. It was clearly a scam, give some then take other favorites away. Directv is looking better all the time.

I think that the Voom package has a small, but loyal, following. Unfortunately, most people consider the Voom channels as turkeys. I was an original Voom subscriber and really enjoyed the service while it lasted, but the current Voom is a far cry from the originals. The concept has not changed, but the "New" content is far and few between. I have recently thought that the could combine alot of these channels to reduce the repeats, but Voom needs deeper pockets to keep their channels interesting and fresh....and they don't have them.

I support this decision 100%. Great move by Charlie - Voom had great potential but dropped the ball long ago. WorldSports was still showing the Pan-Am games for goodness sakes.

Being a Dish Sub for almost four years, I don't support his advertisement policies of adding 22 channels and then subtacting 10.

However, the two most import Voom channels I watched are Equator and Rave. They are both there. What is really more important here is what they are gonna do with the extra capacity now. Add MSG-HD's, YES Network and the Foxes??

I can assure Charlie and his boys, if my locals are not availabe in HD as promised for this month (second time promise - 1st was scheduled for fall 2006/spring 2007) and MSG-HD (and its affiliate stations - Buffalo Sabres Version) is not added by September, I will most certainly be enjoying Directv and their annual NFL Sunday Ticket specials they will be running come september, along with all the channels I have mentioned here.:eek:

Voom channels for World Fishing and the Tennis Channel? Huh? Speaking of NOT popular...Good god.

Dish had to find at least ONE way to screw this up, not that I'm shocked. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)