NEW HD Channels are LIVE

National Geo is in sd most of the time. Not worth the extra bucks to get it imo.
I pay for the bronze pack and locals and I would have to 40 bucks more just to get NGHD forget it.

They have said that NGC-HD requires the Gold package or better. I don't know why anyone would think that would change.

So I'll make this example.

Less than Gold (AT180 equiv):
HD Stand Alone
Bronze
Silver

Gold or better:
Gold
Platinum

Alone, Bronze, & Silver are less than Gold and will not have NGC-HD (or NGC SD for that matter) after the preview is done. Gold and Plat will have it.

But why? Is NGC-HD so much more expensive to E* that other HD?

It is rumored that D* will be adding NGC-HD soon so we'll see how they do it.

Nothing to do with how much NGC-HD costs....

Basic plan by E* (whether you like it or not) is that you only get the HD version of a channel if you also get the SD version. This makes sense - the channels that are in 180 and not in the lower-tier packages are in there specifically to convince you to spend the extra money for AT180. If you could get the HD equivalent to these "180 only" channels without paying the price for the 180 package, eventually no one would purchase AT180!

NGC-SD is in the AT180, so you only get NGC-HD if you subscibe to Gold-HD pack or above, because Gold-HD is what includes the AT180 package.

Last edited:
I'm underwhelmed so far by NGC-HD. I'm always happy to get more HD but the amount of SD on the channel is dissapointing. I was expecting something more along the line of Discovery HD where you're going to get HD pretty much whenever you tune in. I can't even tell which shows will be HD in the guide so I can record those. Maybe it'll improve with time.

Hey the NGCHD just started this year. Lets give them some time. If by the last quarter of the year there is still more SD than HD then we call protest all we want.

Lets give the Channel time to produce more HD shows/specials. DiscoveryHD has been on longer (one of the first ones?).

Cold Irons said:
Nothing to do with how much NGC-HD costs....

Basic plan by E* (whether you like it or not) is that you only get the HD version of a channel if you also get the SD version. This makes sense - the channels that are in 180 and not in the lower-tier packages are in there specifically to convince you to spend the extra money for AT180. If you could get the HD equivalent to these "180 only" channels without paying the price for the 180 package, eventually no one would purchase AT180!

NGC-SD is in the AT180, so you only get NGC-HD if you subscibe to Gold-HD pack or above, because Gold-HD is what includes the AT180 package.
Not sure about this...

For example,
NFL Network is not part of AT60 (and therefore not part of DishHD Bronze) yet NFL Network HD is part of DishHD Bronze. Will those of us with DishHD Bronze be losing NFL Network HD?

well they shouldn't have NFL-HD, but dish doesn't seem to follow their own new rules!

Bait And Switch

I went over it meticulously w/ the CSR when I swapped the 942 for the 622... "I'll get all of my current channels plus the new MPEG-4 HD beams for X difference in monthly charge"... and now I dont get either the NG(sd) or NG(hd) without an additional $10 to my bill. 'I'm sorry your CSR gave you incorrect information is no consolation. E* has completely lost my loyalty, but it's no sweat to them now that I've committed to a 18 month re-up. I guess the cell-phone model is firmly adopted. What a lackluster upgrade this whole mpeg-4 transition has been.

what am I missing? I have a 211....no HGTV HD here....and yes...I get the SD signal of HGTV.

edgarj said:
I went over it meticulously w/ the CSR when I swapped the 942 for the 622... "I'll get all of my current channels plus the new MPEG-4 HD beams for X difference in monthly charge"... and now I dont get either the NG(sd) or NG(hd) without an additional $10 to my bill. 'I'm sorry your CSR gave you incorrect information is no consolation. E* has completely lost my loyalty, but it's no sweat to them now that I've committed to a 18 month re-up. I guess the cell-phone model is firmly adopted. What a lackluster upgrade this whole mpeg-4 transition has been.

The CSRs are often wrong and/or misinformed. I used to think like you do too. But the truth is that any provider, cable or sat, has this problem. The level 1 reps just do not have all the facts or are just talking out their butts. I've long since dropped that as a reason to get upset or think that I have anything to hold over them when they don't end up doing what they said they would do. I come to these forums for the facts now before I do anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)