New HD Channels This Week?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
his signature says it all:D

Well yeah:p

I am still curious of his reasoning. Even if someone is unhappy with D* and the service (and keeps it) I am curious why they think the other companies will add things, and D* wont. Bandwidth shouldnt be a problem, contracts shouldnt be any more than anyone else (even though both of these areas arent as strong as they were last year). So why?

I am curious why they think the other companies will add things, and D* wont. Bandwidth shouldnt be a problem, contracts shouldnt be any more than anyone else (even though both of these areas arent as strong as they were last year). So why?

I think the fact that Darth Malone is the D* CEO, and other companies actually have competant leaders, is the reason.

I predict another slow year.

I predict at the end of 2009, 4 or more cable companies will join FIOS as having more HD then our two cheap ass satellite companies.

Hell, I'd be highly surprised if at the end of 2009, Directv is ahead of anybody besides E* and Charter Cable tv (And that's if Charter doesn't go bankrupt)

And yes, I'm predicting this year Comcast ends up with more HD then D*.

Last edited:
I predict at the end of 2009, 4 or more cable companies will join FIOS as having more HD then our two cheap ass satellite companies.

Hell, I'd be highly surprised if at the end of 2009, Directv is ahead of anybody besides E* and Charter Cable tv (And that's if Charter doesn't go bankrupt)

They can have all the HD they want. the picture quality of comcast in south florida is horrible. can't speak for the other areas but around here cable sucks. they can have it.

They can have all the HD they want. the picture quality of comcast in south florida is horrible. can't speak for the other areas but around here cable sucks. they can have it.
That, and cable offerings only matter IF they offer them in YOUR area. To many variations between cable companies in differenct areas, be it PQ or what you can get.

I agree with rey, I have had comcast in Knoxville and Nashville and they both lack in picture quality and number of channels. Especially in Knoxville where they don't even have the Fox HD channels like Nashville does (SPEED, F/X, Fox Biz). As a fleeing Dish customer, I have to put the brakes on this discussion and tell you that at least Direct has the channels that people really want to see, unlike dish with HMC, WFN, etc.. I think the grass is greener here and I know that any CEO is better than "Charlie Tuna". So what if Direct hasn't added forty channels in a year, they didn't have to as 07' was their year. Now everyone is playing catch up and Direct is sitting with their arms folded for better negotiations with the companies that they don't have. It is a good strategy, why buy the bar when you only want a few drinks.

Think smarter, Not swiftly.

Not in my area. TWC still offers only about 10 national HD channels.

That is the interesting thing about cable....It varies from location to location. A cable company may claim to carry 100 HD channels, but fail to disclose that they only offer 100 HD channels in a couple of locations. Thus, most of their subs do not have these channels available to them. Whereas satellite, anything they do nationally, is truely national.

I don't remember him mentioning exact months is his post?
Satelliteracer said:
No new HD in 2008.

1/1/2009 MLB Network will launch

About a week later you'll see another channel launch.

Another one that was supposed to go up in December got delayed until March because they aren't ready yet with their infrastructure, but that's coming.

Others are scheduled in early 2009, but 2008 is done for national HD launches. Some more local launches coming up in January as well.

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - What Happened to New HD Rumor
February was the only month not mentioned in this post.

EVERY program that was produced in 2008 is in hd on the Travel Channel.
Nothing is stretched on this channel. I think you have your channels mixed up.

Don't look at the guide for the hd info. Many channels in hd will not be showing hd in the guide.

Yes, there's plenty of HD on Travel Channel. And never stretch-o-vision. No Discovery channel stretches. (They do not technically own Travel Channel anymore, but I think they still operate it.)

Discovery actually does a partial zoom on 4:3 programming, widening the picture slightly, but cutting off the top and bottom slightly as well. (There are still pillarboxes, but they are narrower.) It should tick me off, because it's removing part of the picture. But it almost always looks great, and it's a 100 times better than any sort of stretch.

My guess is that we won't see a ton of more HD channels added until D12 is launched. I'm not sure if I am 100% right, but hasn't DirecTV told many of their customers that bandwidth is a current issue? If so, we won't be seeing a lot of HD additions right now. You might see 1 here or 1 there pop up, but other than that I don't think we will be seeing any massive additions until they get the new sat up and running.

My guess is that we won't see a ton of more HD channels added until D12 is launched. I'm not sure if I am 100% right, but hasn't DirecTV told many of their customers that bandwidth is a current issue? If so, we won't be seeing a lot of HD additions right now. You might see 1 here or 1 there pop up, but other than that I don't think we will be seeing any massive additions until they get the new sat up and running.
Bandwidth is not an issue at all. They added about 50 HD PPV a few months back. The new HD channels will replace the PPV channels.

Bandwidth is not an issue at all. They added about 50 HD PPV a few months back. The new HD channels will replace the PPV channels.

I was gonna say, they Sat that was activated in September cannot be full already :confused:

Mainly the only things that have gone up have been locals for the most part, a few HD but not enough to fill up a new Sat.

Jimbo

They have been telling their customers bandwidth is an issue though. I totally agree though. The reason why they are full is because of the HD PPV. I guess they are just placeholders. I don't see what the big deal is with HD PPV. I think its a waste of money to be honest when you can get service from Blockbuster for around $20 per month and get Blu-rays which look better.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)