New HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lets not forget that as of right now there are not that many hd national channels out there. If one system gets it now the other will add it within the next month or so. The way I see it is that no one is chasing no one. They are helping ALL of us!!!!

Lets not forget that as of right now there are not that many hd national channels out there. If one system gets it now the other will add it within the next month or so. The way I see it is that no one is chasing no one. They are helping ALL of us!!!!

Thats how I look at it and stay above the fray. Any additional HD is good for us all. All providers recognize HD is the future and a way to make money or at least retain their cash flow so any change to one is sure to cause a change in the other. Its all good dog. :up

I think we ALL agree on those points. But it will never stop the ongoing debating of the competing companies IMO.

Everyone getting more HD is indeed a win for ALL. but it is naive to think that without these companies feeling heat from each other they would be moving with any haste at all. They are DEFINITELY chasing each other to a large degree.

Most of this ongoing debate is not about the CURRENT HD channels, but rather about the multitude of NEW HD CHANNELS that are going to launch in the 4th Q 2007- thru 1st Q of 2008.

And not all agree that it will be evenly matched month by month. Many believe that the current DISH advantage will be gone for some period of time next year - others feel opposite. That is indeed the VERY QUESTION as I see it.

Right, PQ will be the deciding factor, and directv does not have a good track record in that regard.

It is now DISH chasing DirecTV.
With respect to HD LIL, DISH may always be chasing DIRECTV in much the same way as DIRECTV has always been chasing DISH with SD LIL.

I submit that you're calling "chasing" is actually a game of stealing thunder. DISH is where the national HD content can be found today (and for the last couple of years). DIRECTV and their business partners have been working hard to bring it, but they've added just one channel since they began announcing their push back in 2004.

DIRECTV has been (and continues) delivering lots of PR. DISH has been slowly rolling out channels.

Only recently have we come to a point where DIRECTV subscribers weren't having to hang onto plans an PR to keep them going. It still isn't there, but it looks a lot more likely that the milk is going to get sweeter soon. What remains to be seen is how close to their plans they come. Not only their plans to have 100 national HD "channels" by year-end, but whether or not they deliver their forecasted 70+ "channels" by the end of September.

With respect to HD LIL, DISH may always be chasing DIRECTV in much the same way as DIRECTV has always been chasing DISH with SD LIL.

That depends on where you live. It doesn't matter if Dish has more sd locals than Directv if they don't have them where you live. Ask those in Springfield MA, for example. That holds true for any desired channel. I am a Yankees fan and can't get YES from Dish. Therefore, Directv is my only satellite choice. That makes Directv the leader for me. Others have the opposite opinion I am sure.

They are DEFINITELY chasing each other to a large degree.
DIRECTV is in a bragging war about what they hope to have. Their not so much leading or chasing as they are trying to one-up the competition in claims of future supremacy. DIRECTV's battles with the various cable companies demonstrated that when the gloves come off in a PR battle, the laws of physics are the first casualty.

harsh - instead of repeating your same OLD argument again - please read the OP - he is talking about the NEW MPEG4 channels.

Lets try to end the 'history' posts.
1) For the past 2 years DISH has had MORE HD channels - we all know that.

2) DirecTv admitted to having no more bandwidth 2 years ago. It should be no suprise to any Hd enthusiast that they would be behind the competioin while the new national HD sats were being built, launched, and so on.

3) All of D*s 'promises' mention the need for these 2 new sats for national channels.

4) Many are not HANGING on to promises. I for one believe that the D* HD offering is much better NOW than DISH (even with fewer channels). I get NFL, MLB, YES-HD and SNY-HD (full-time) - can DISH subs say any of that?

Time to move forward I believe - don't you?

I am a Yankees fan and can't get YES from Dish.
If that is what it comes down to for your household, then your choice was made for you. For the rest of the population who don't live and die by what's going on with the Yankees or the Nets, the choice may be different.

If that is what it comes down to for your household, then your choice was made for you. For the rest of the population who don't live and die by what's going on with the Yankees or the Nets, the choice may be different.

or the couple of million getting the NFL games, or the almost 750,000 getting MLB, or the subs getting March Madness. Or those that get their HD lils, etc.

Or those that want to have the almost 100 HD channels that will be online by the end of the year.

I for one believe that the D* HD offering is much better NOW than DISH (even with fewer channels). I get NFL, MLB, YES-HD and SNY-HD (full-time) - can DISH subs say any of that?
I get NFL HD full-time, do you? Is that what our television viewing should be based on?

I'm not consumed by mainstream sports coverage. I usually watch the championship games in many of the mainstream sports, but the regular season competition isn't something that I regularly follow. I didn't even watch my alma mater's (Oregon State) baseball games on TV until they went to the CWS at which point their games were on the ESPNs.

I like to watch something different every night. There's a surprising amount of sports on the VOOM channels that don't involve keeping stats on .550 team day in and day out. My latest favorites are Motorsports Ranch (private car racing) and Hard Water (sailing), but I'll sometimes stop on a Red Bull extreme sport program. Worldsport is even carrying Friday night CFL action now.

As for the OP, they were just asking questions and opinions about the hardware and packages surrounding the new HD offerings, not the HD content itself.

I get NFL HD full-time, do you? Is that what our television viewing should be based on?

I don't get it full-time in HD (YET) - but that is NOT what my viewing is based on. I base mine on the HD GAMES I GET EVERY WEEKEND. How many do you get with DISH? Isn't THAT what your television viewing should be based on?

I'm not consumed by mainstream sports coverage. I usually watch the championship games in many of the mainstream sports, but the regular season competition isn't something that I regularly follow. I didn't even watch my alma mater's (Oregon State) baseball games on TV until they went to the CWS at which point their games were on the ESPNs.

Again, good for you. millions of people DO.

I like to watch something different every night. There's a surprising amount of sports on the VOOM channels that don't involve keeping stats on .550 team day in and day out. My latest favorites are Motorsports Ranch (private car racing) and Hard Water (sailing), but I'll sometimes stop on a Red Bull extreme sport program. Worldsport is even carrying Friday night CFL action now.

Who cares? I for one don't.

As for the OP, they were just asking questions and opinions about the hardware and packages surrounding the new HD offerings, not the HD content itself.

Which if I read correctly had nothing to do with your postings.

I wanna see how many more times ScoBuck will bang his head into a wall or chase a stick or go back and forth with this thread. Whats the count now 80ish. :D :haha I dont think some folks are going to see the light.

I wanna see how many more times ScoBuck will bang his head into a wall or chase a stick or go back and forth with this thread. Whats the count now 80ish. :D :haha I dont think some folks are going to see the light.

Agreed - they are history majors - and thread hijackers Brewer. The OP had no concerns with DISH.

Agreed - they are history majors - and thread hijackers Brewer. The OP had no concerns with DISH.
Agreed. Any testimony on the relative merits of Dish HD in this thread are irrelevant and immaterial! Back to topic!

But gee, it's hard to ignore a thread titled "New HD". :(

Blah, blah, blah...who cares. The provider who has the most HD channels that I want to watch and the best HD quality at the best price will get my business. Because one provider says they have more doesn't make them better than another provider. More is not necessarily better. Look at TNT for example....that channel is a piece of crap... I would drop it right now if I had that choice. Since I can't because it's part of the HD package I pay for I just don't watch it. In my opinion, HD picture quality will determine who will lead the pack. That's where the payoff will and should be.

Nice redundant post.

Hey Guys,

Why all the fighting? Why can't we all agree that DirecTV is better than everything else? Lol.

Anyways, when the guy comes to install tomorrow, can I ask him to ground the satellite for free? My current sat is not grounded, and the nearest ground is about 30 feet away. Will he install a ground rod and wire for free?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)