New HD Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
2 new sats up this year. HD channels soon after, most likely by fall barring a launch failure. There are plenty of threads over the past month with lots of details.

You guy's are bad :rolleyes:

At least bonscott87 helped the guy some....
I believe the 1st is going upin April, I think and then the testing has to be done and then D* gets ahold of it and thier testing needs to be done and then if it all works right, they will then add channels.

I think someone figured out about a month to 5 weeks after the initial launch it should be good to go.

2nd Sat goes up in the fall, this is when most of the new channels will be going live.

As mentioned previously, there are a bunch of threads going around talkingabout this .... Use the search funtion and they will come up for you

Jimbo

I'm sure the answer to my question is buried in some threads somewhere too but can someone give me the quick answer?

Will I need a new dish and/or STB when these new sats come on line with more HD? My stuff is old... like DTC210 old.

Ther si no real answer. D* has announced that they will have over 100 HD channels but they do not currently have the capacity and there are not 100 natioanl HD channels to carry at this time. we don't even know all the channels they might ecpect or whether it includes RSNs or PPV channels.

Io other words no one can answer your question. There are two many unknowns.

I'm sure the answer to my question is buried in some threads somewhere too but can someone give me the quick answer?

Will I need a new dish and/or STB when these new sats come on line with more HD? My stuff is old... like DTC210 old.

Best case senario is that D* put the new HD channels in the MPEG4 format, meaning that they take up less room and would be placed on the 99 and 103 sats which would require you to have a 5 LNB set up and an Mpeg4 capable reciever.

Jimbo

Latest Sea Lunch disaster will most likely delay D* plans. Nobody knows for sure right now. And other lunch sites are probably booked now for several months.

Latest Sea Lunch disaster will most likely delay D* plans. Nobody knows for sure right now. And other lunch sites are probably booked now for several months.
Not true! Sea Launch has no bearing on the delay of D* plans. D* first satellite will be launched via Proton not Sea Launch! Besides, Sea Launch has already stated that the Odyssey Platform substain minor damage. So its still likely that they may be able to launch at least D*'s in time.;)

5 LNB dish.
MPEG4 capable receiver, currently only the H20 or HR20 (DVR).

5 LNB dish.
MPEG4 capable receiver, currently only the H20 or HR20 (DVR).

I wonder how long it will take to dole out all these mpeg-4 receivers and dishes. :rolleyes: I'll bet a loooong time. I guess I better not get too anxious for more channels. :(

I wonder how long it will take to dole out all these mpeg-4 receivers and dishes. :rolleyes: I'll bet a loooong time. I guess I better not get too anxious for more channels. :(

Not really.
The H20 has been the only available non DVR HD receiver for over a year now.
Tens of thousands have already converted to the HR20 on their own because of HD locals and RSN's in HD on MPEG4.
5 LNB dish has been about the only dish available for install for over 6 months.

Remember, there aren't all that many HD subs in total anyway. 1-1.5 million is it. It's not a stretch to surmise that at least a third of those already have MPEG4 capable receivers if not more.

If you want a new receiver and dish just call 'em up or head on down to Best Buy. :D

Not really.
If you want a new receiver and dish just call 'em up or head on down to Best Buy. :D

You mean buy the stuff from a retailer? Hmmm, didn't know you could do that. But if I let them switch me it will be for free right? Or will I have to lease any replacement they provide? I own my current box.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

You mean buy the stuff from a retailer? Hmmm, didn't know you could do that. But if I let them switch me it will be for free right? Or will I have to lease any replacement they provide? I own my current box.

ANYTHING you buy from CC or BB will be a lease, which may be a good thing in the long run, if you want to upgrade receivers , just call them and they will send you one, provided you already have the correct dish installed.

If you have trouble with any of them, call them and they will send out a replacement. prior to the lease tyou would have a rec. that does not work properly and you were pretty much stuck with it.

Jimbo

Sure, it's all available at retail. Only advantage to buying from DirecTV is if you can get a great deal (if you've been a long term good customer) and/or need installation. You may even be able to work a deal with DirecTV to buy it at retail and get the same discounts when you activate.

I personally bought my HR20 from ValueElectronics. When I called to activate I asked for the dish upgrade and I was transferred to the installation/upgrade department and they set me up with a free 5 LNB and switch with free install. I had my HR20 activated for a month before I got my dish upgrade. :D And because I do all my own installs all the installer had to do was put the dish together and put it up while I ran a couple new cables and installed the new switch.

ANYTHING you buy from CC or BB will be a lease...
Jimbo

:confused: Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

Are you really buying it? Who keeps it if you cancel? Are you liable if you trash it? I'm thinking you probably don't really buy it but instead just make an initial start-up lease payment.

Sure, it's all available at retail. Only advantage to buying from DirecTV is if you can get a great deal (if you've been a long term good customer) and/or need installation. You may even be able to work a deal with DirecTV to buy it at retail and get the same discounts when you activate.

D* has been giving a free dish upgrade for every HD receiver leased through a retailer for at least six months or more now.

:confused: Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?

Are you really buying it? Who keeps it if you cancel? Are you liable if you trash it? I'm thinking you probably don't really buy it but instead just make an initial start-up lease payment.
If you cancel, you send it back to them

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Fox News Channel Problem

Sports Pack...Worth it or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)