New HD-DVR/150 HD channels!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jammy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Beaumont, TX
Items 1-6 are about my 'new HD-DVR' deal and item 7 is about HD channels.

1)I called D* Retention today and I got what I thought was a great deal. For $99, they will send me an MPEG4 HD-DVR. Actually they couldn't give me this deal in a straightforward manner - they will bill me $299 total over three installments and give me a credit for $200.

2) Also included is moving my old HD-DVR upstairs and providing it with 2 satellite inputs.

3) They will give me 2 satellite inputs for the new DVR too.

4) Apparently, I'm also getting a 5-lnb satellite dish, but as I already have one, I guess I'll have one extra(?).

5) I'm not sure if I am leasing all this equipment or owning it. They did not ask me for any 1 or 2-year committment to D*.

6) I was so pleased at all this stuff that I have forgotten the precise details, but it goes something like this: I'm getting 2 $10 credits for 1 year, plus $5 off my HBO package for 12 months, plus free Showtime for 6 months. So, this easily pays for the $99 charge for the DVR. This is as well as the $200 rebate mentioned above.

7) Before getting through to this particular Retention agent, I was speaking to another agent about this whole deal and got cut off.

However, both the initial agent and the one that actually set up the deal for me, said in no uncertain terms that D* had recently received permission from the FCC to start broadcasting on one or more of the new satellites and they both said to expect 150 National HD channels in February 2007.

I don't know if this is news to anyone or D* just trying to hype their service and maybe persuade customers to stay. And yes I know that dates from D* can be like movable feasts, but it is a nice prospect to contemplate!!

"...they both said to expect 150 National HD channels in February 2007."
Yes. That's an average of 3 local HD's per state. Anyone can get these channels for free with an antenna and a terrestial HD receiver.

Just as an add-on to my original post, the second agent mentioned that the new HD channels would be channels like National Geographic, though she did not have a complete list.

I sure hope that is true!

Maybe there are also some locals in that 150 number.

Excluding locals, are there 150 HD channels actually broadcasting right now?

gross67 said:
Yes. That's an average of 3 local HD's per state. Anyone can get these channels for free with an antenna and a terrestial HD receiver.
Do you know the difference between "NATIONAL" and "LOCAL". If they are going to have 150 NATIONALS up by Feb. 2007 I wonder what miracle is going to launch the satellite to put them on?:)

there won't be 150 national HD channels to add.

"150 national HD & 1500 local HD" only refers to the total channel capacity of there system as of 2007; after which DirecTV 9s, 10 and 11 will all be up.

jammy said:
Just as an add-on to my original post, the second agent mentioned that the new HD channels would be channels like National Geographic, though she did not have a complete list.

I sure hope that is true!

Maybe there are also some locals in that 150 number.

Excluding locals, are there 150 HD channels actually broadcasting right now?
Nothing can be add until the new sats get up and working.....
They are currently turning HD channels off just to support the Sunday Ticket.
New sats don't go up till like spring time .....

I should not have said Nothing, but I would be very suprised to see anything new before the end of the football season.

Jimbo

Last edited:
From what I see, on the Lyngsat web site, DirecTV 9S is scheduled to be launched the end of this month. That has 54 KU transponders, should be a start.

It can be set up in several ways. It will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams.

gross67 said:

I would beg to differ with with you.. I only live 9 miles from the transmitters, but those 9 miles consist of two large mountains.. The stations have a repeater(or what ever it is called) on the mountain closest to me for analog signals, but they have no plans for a digital unit. I get the locals via cable, but keep D* because of DNS service.

lou_do said:
From what I see, on the Lyngsat web site, DirecTV 9S is scheduled to be launched the end of this month. That has 54 KU transponders, should be a start.

It can be set up in several ways. It will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams.

Directv 9S is a replacement satellite, no new HD programming will be possible with this satellite.

I am interested in Directv 9S. I keep seeing this mentioned lately and I thought is was nothing more than a replacement sat. However it keeps coming up in D*'s future plans talk. If it is only a replacement, say it, but if it could be used to help get a jump on a couple of national HD channels, then I think everyone would like to know. Can someone please give a definate answer and be able to back it up? Thanks guys. The reason I love this forum is the information provided.

raggededge said:
Directv 9S is a replacement satellite, no new HD programming will be possible with this satellite.

HD programing is possible on any satellite. You just can't get as many channels on a transponder in HD, as you can in SD. I don't see why it HD programing wouldn't be available on it. I see that it is supposed to replace 4S & 7S and they both currently have HD programing.

Last edited:
From Loral:

DIRECTV 9S, is designed to operate from orbital locations at 101 degrees West longitude or 119 degrees West longitude. As a back-up for DIRECTV's 4S and 7S satellites, it will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams.

The spacecraft is a version of SS/L’s space-proven LS-1300 satellite platform, which has an excellent record of reliable operation. The geostationary LS-1300 has a designed service life of 15 years and maintains station-keeping and orbital stability by using bipropellant propulsion and momentum-bias systems.

From Arian: http://www.arianespace.com/site/launchstatus/status_sub_index.html Launch facilities seem to still be backed up a few months. I really hate these new piggy-back launches.

Attachments

• fleet.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
MacDawg said:
Would all the talk about D* and Dish merger have anything to do with the 150 HD chnls? Just wondering.

No, it only refers to the total channel capacity of the DirecTV system after sats launches YE '07.

Yep. unfortunate how misinformed CSR (or do they do that on purpose?) confuse "capacity" with "availability" and keep telling people about 150 HD channels that don't even exist yet!

charper1 said:
No, it only refers to the total channel capacity of the DirecTV system after sats launches YE '07.

Phone ops/CSRs are so uneducated on the actual technology they answer for as a rule, they are simply hired hands to handle phones, based on a script, and type into a computer that likely run one proprietary entry program. I would like to see how its worded in the script (if its in there) and then its boils down to reading skills and knowing what capacity means.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts