New HD DVR from D*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree "Happy Camper", with my HR10-250, I can already record my locals in HD and, until newer HD channels are added that the HR10-250 cannot pick up, the HR20-250 never crosses my mind. Too much worrying over something that we can't control....just like Gas prices.....Reminds me of the movie "Dune", "He Who Controls The Spice".

I know this is beating a dead horse, but...

You guys with flawless OTA access have to learn to empathize those who don't. Even if it's vanity or something optional (and in most cases it isn't), I'd argue the vast majority of OTA users can't get their big 4 flawlessly 99% of the time.

I live in the biggest DMA in the country. I can't even come remotely close to picking up the big 4. In fact, I can only get an adjacent DMA's ABC feed!

Sure, LIL isn't revolutionary, but right now, it's a block to D* bringing more people in for other products (ST, more national HD, etc). I mean, think about it, most people are going to choose their locals in HD (not to mention RSN's!) over a better national HD slate with fewer / no locals. It's a no-brainer to me.

hancox said:
I know this is beating a dead horse, but...

You guys with flawless OTA access have to learn to empathize those who don't. Even if it's vanity or something optional (and in most cases it isn't), I'd argue the vast majority of OTA users can't get their big 4 flawlessly 99% of the time.

I live in the biggest DMA in the country. I can't even come remotely close to picking up the big 4. In fact, I can only get an adjacent DMA's ABC feed!

Sure, LIL isn't revolutionary, but right now, it's a block to D* bringing more people in for other products (ST, more national HD, etc). I mean, think about it, most people are going to choose their locals in HD (not to mention RSN's!) over a better national HD slate with fewer / no locals. It's a no-brainer to me.

Amen, I am in the same category.

Well I get 4 NBC - 2 ABC -2 CBS- 1 FOX and 4 PBS HD feeds OTA. So I guess I should just get the current HD DVR. Where Can I buy one? I will not lease one. Is it TIVO? and what is the cost?

Getting HD OTA is not easy! I have invested much money and time, to recieve all these channels. I put up a 60 foot mast with a top line amp, top line VHF/UHF ANT and 2 more UHF ants to get these channels. I can cover most of 360 degrees without moving my mast.

Last edited:
I will be skipping this unit since I already have an HD Tivo with OTA. I still think this new HD DVR is critical to D*'s success and necessary for MILLIONS of potential HD watchers. OTA is a royal pain in the butt.

I am banking on the Microsoft MCE direct capture device mentioned at CES. That is supposed to be out by end of year but I know that wont happen. I just hope its sometime 1st or 2nd quarter 2007. I just hope my HD Tivo doesnt die before then.

You know what is sad and agrevating. Whenever they announce anything, you have to assume a delay time period. We are not talking a month or 2 but rather 3 to 18 months. Thats unbelievable. Its got just as bad at Microsoft. Longhorn now Vista is way way overdue. Wont get into details there but I sure hope that doesnt add to the delay to the MCE direct capture card. Between D*'s and M*'s inability to deliver, maybe I shouldnt even plan on a release. Maybe FIOS will be IN my house by that time. And we are talking about a Telco here. A Telco!!! We know how fast they move.

Last edited:
Well, the only way I'll get FIOS is if the laws in Florida change and the cable industry is fighting tooth and nail to stop the de-regulation.

scotsmanron said:
Well, the only way I'll get FIOS is if the laws in Florida change and the cable industry is fighting tooth and nail to stop the de-regulation.

And they get the RSN sports package. Otherwise they can keep their service.

For what it's worth....I was told on 4/24 that the MPEG-4 HD DVR would be launched in June. This why by a customer retention rep who seemed to not be an idiot.

ScottJayhawk said:
For what it's worth....I was told on 4/24 that the MPEG-4 HD DVR would be launched in June. This why by a customer retention rep who seemed to not be an idiot.

They may not have been an idiot.....but a csr who is not an idiot is an oxymoron I am afraid.

Well if I had a perference I would like to have the media server that allows me the maximum flexibilty and keeps me from running even more wires throughout the house.

Why would you want one? Given D*'s abyssmal record of new product performance and forever or never happens fixes, I'd hope to get the second generation machine and hold on to my TiVo as long as possible.

If you just have to have HD locals come in on D* to get them, o.k., but otherwise? What is all the excitment and rumor about?

Happy Camper said:
Why would you want one? Given D*'s abyssmal record of new product performance and forever or never happens fixes, I'd hope to get the second generation machine and hold on to my TiVo as long as possible.

If you just have to have HD locals come in on D* to get them, o.k., but otherwise? What is all the excitment and rumor about?

I would buy one bugs or not as long as it works in some capacity, do you know how it stinks not to be able to record your hd networks. By the time it comes out at least 60 percent if 70 or more will have access to hd locals.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts