New HD service - couple questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bam Bam

Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
Thank you to all of the satellite guys for the wealth of info that helped me make my sat choice. I just got my hd/dvr upgrade last Thursday from Directv (of course I am waiting for the new hd channels). I read through the hd/dvr book and I believer everything is set up correctly, but I have just a couple questions for you guys in the know.

1. My tv is a Panasonic 61 inch projection hdtv that is 1080i compatible. I have my resolution set to 1080i only. Everything else is left unchecked (480i 480p and 720p). Native is off. Is this the best way to view all of my channels (hd and sd)? I have tried it with native on with both 480i and 1080i checked, but have not noticed a big difference. It does seem to me that my standard def channels now look slightly worse than they did before the upgrade, and I don't believe I am saying that just because I have seen hd now. Before the switch it seems like my standard def channels looked a little bit better than they do now. Does this hd/dvr make standard def look a little bit worse than the regular receivers?

2. When viewing a program that is not in hd, but is being broadcast on an hd channel (local news or even commercials for example), it still looks better than its simulcast on the standard def channel. This is obvious because I have two of my local channels and can easily toggle back and forth between the hd version of the channel and the sd version of the channel. I didn't think that there would be any difference if the program itself was not broadcast in hd. So the hd channel makes even regular broadcasts that are not shot in hd look better?

3. My tv is 4:3 ratio. I don't like to view hd in crop format, because it cuts off material, and I don't like to view it in stretch, because it distorts the picture. I prefer letterbox with the black bars on the top and bottom (the gray bars are annoying, especially if you are watching in a dark room. You cannot even tell the black bars are there in a dark room). What is the danger of image burn-in on my screen, and is there a way to avoid it without changing the bars to gray?

Thank you!

I think I may have the same or similar TV to yours. First off, burn in should never be an issue if it is a DLP or LCD projection. It would only be a problem in CRT projection (which I don't believe it could be in that size Panasonic) or plasma (but plasmas are not projection). As to your other observations, I have noticed the same things on mine. Yes, an SD program coming over on an HD channel will usually look better. Resolution is a bit trickier. I notice that SD programming upconverted to 1080i looks a bit blurred by comparison to the image in 480i. However, I can see the horizontal scan lines in 480i at my viewing distance, so I view it as a tradeoff between the two. Good luck with your setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)