New HD Slimline Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

confusedinmichigan

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Upper Michigan
I currently have one of the old round dishes and I get my locals through an antenna on my roof. I recently got a dish from my buddy and it is a slimline HD dish. I am not sure if I need a new nose cone. I only see one coaxial cable coming in on that nose cone. My receiver is a directv plus with dvr. Not sure what type of nose cone I need. Please help.

I assume you mean the LNB array. What happen the the original LNB? Post a photo of what dish you got from him?

Are you planning on upgrading your receiver? If not you don't need a new dish. If you are, you likely can get the upgraded HD DVR and the dish with install free.

80.jpg This is the dish I got from him. I already have a HD DVR receiver I think. With the old dish I had to have 2 lines coming into the receiver for it to work properly and for the DVR to work. The LNB I got from him only has one line. I really don't know a lot about this.

the number off lines coming out of the dish have no bearing at the moment. so the dish you got from him DOES currently have an LNB on it? based on your original post you do not have a HD unit. can you post the model number?

I do not think that is HD. I think all new HD units begin with 'H" or 'HR' the HR being the DVR unit.. Is this one of the 'R' units that can be firmware upgraded to HD?

If so you should be able to setup that dish (still not 100% sure which it is) and run two lines from it to that DVR; you likely need to add B-band converters

Last edited:
If I get the upgraded receiver....will I need a new LNB in order to run the two lines?

The newer dishes are NOT like the one you currently use. You may not need anything new.

cant confirm that without seeing a photo of the actual dish you got. (my gut says no)

1. does it have a LNB on it now?
2. if it has an LNB on it, just cause it has one line dangling off it, doent mean you cant add more (can't tell what you have now)

If I get the upgraded receiver....will I need a new LNB in order to run the two lines?

If you get D* to upgrade your recvrs, they will do the install and more than likely switch you over to the SWM set up (Single Wire Multiswitch) so you'll only need one line to the recvr.

Currently if what I'm reading is correct, you could use the recvr you have for the time being, and the dish, should work, but it will be Standard Def only.

Charper is correct, the r22 is SD, with the potential to be HD.

I believe you could also, call D* order a HD DVR and they come out and install all the new stuff and you can activate the r-22 and have it become a HR22, but you have to already have a HD recvr working to do that.

The R22 is a SD receiver that has the potential to be HD...the catch is you need a "legit" (H/HR) HD receiver on the account for the R22 to work with HD
I have 2 R22's and when I upgraded to HD I had to get a H23 on the account to make the R22's work with HD

(The R22 is basically a HR21 with the option to be on a SD only account)

Thanks guys for the added info. I didn't have any experience with a R22 so I called in some backup. The OP should have everything needed to make a call.

Status
Please reply by conversation.