New HDTV Content for DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gmu77

Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
It is not a question of if, but when. DirecTV has been promising additional HD content, both to consumers and in earnings calls with stock analysts.

If their TIVO strategy from last year is any indication, it would make sense for them to introduce a major HD push just in time for football season this year. With the increased HD content through NFL Sunday Ticket, these subscribers will be a huge target market for HD receivers.

So, it would only make sense that while such a promotion was going on to introduce the expanded HD content. Rumors are circulating on what channels will be included. The ones I hear consistently (including at times on this board) are TNT-HD, INHD, and Fox-HD when it goes live this fall.

Another that I have heard little about is WGN-HD (superstation). They have a lot of sports content (Cubs, White Sox, Bulls) already produced in HD. According to their website, DirecTV is working on a deal.

http://wgnsuperstation.trb.com/abou...95341.htmlstory?coll=wgncable-about-station-1

Has anyone else heard any credible information on the new channel rollout?

There are many who believe DirecTV will make a major HD push by football season.
(They have already said they will provide Fox East and West feeds.)
I wouldn't be surprised to see at least Bravo, WGN, perhaps even TNT, some versions of Fox Sports Net HD games (for those with the appropriate sports packs), and most likely a few added premium HD channels.
I would also guess NBC HD and ABC HD would be coming soon. (Maybe in time for the Olympics with NBC, MNF for ABC.)

I know both companys have CBS-HD right now but i was told the FCC would not let them give us a distant networks in HD. I'm sure if they could give us a HD feed for all the networks we would have already got them.

But they already provide distant network CBS in HD...to all viewers in O&O areas as well as those in "white" areas.
And legislation in Congress (which seems to be gaining momentum) would give them the right to provide any network HD signal to any viewer whose local station doesn't provide HD.
But D*, at least, is negotiating with ABC and NBC (Fox is already committed) to provide HD.
I guess I just don't get your point.

fredfa said:
<snip>......And legislation in Congress (which seems to be gaining momentum) would give them the right to provide any network HD signal to any viewer whose local station doesn't provide HD.
IMO this won't happen unless there's a lot more noise made by constituents. The broadcasters DO NOT want this to happen for obvious reasons and they have the NAB lobbying for them. The FCC has been owned and operated by the NAB for years and it's only because of the government's push for the transition to digital that's moving congress to push the FCC and resist the NAB. Without a groundswell of grassroot support from viewers, I think congress will cave in to granting more time for the transition and shy away from giving any new benifits to DBS. At best, DBS may get the right to provide more of what cable is allowed to but that's it.

I've sent many letters / emails to my congressmen and have yet to receive anything back - not even the usual "generic" reply. This tells me that unless there's a "significant" concern by voters (election year ya know), they don't intend to ruffle the feathers of any big contributers this year, which for all intents and purposes means no big gains for the new SHIVA in the forseeable future.
WaltinVt

fredfa said:
There are many who believe DirecTV will make a major HD push by football season.
I hope so. I do not watch that much TV over the summer to justify paying $11 for the few HD channels D* offers so I cancelled my HD subscription. I am going to wait for the football season to reorder it.

Gosh... I guess I am going to watch cr*p without a HD receiver!
Really... how can they do it without changing the compress codec, and not having more bandwidth?

mcsj said:
how can they do it without changing the compress codec, and not having more bandwidth?
More Birds (8s & 9s) for 2005, not to metion the bandwith they have that is duplicated or not in use currently. I do not remember where but I do remember reading that D* will be offering up to 8 NFL games a week in HD. May I heard it from family too, there are a few in the biz.

Either way, I had Voom, it sucked, but it cost sub -base for D* a little (5,000) and they will be looking to crush it.

mcsj said:
Gosh... I guess I am going to watch cr*p without a HD receiver!
Really... how can they do it without changing the compress codec, and not having more bandwidth?

The new satellite that went up recently (7s) is accommodating all the new local channel rollouts. Many if not all of the existing local channel content is being moved to the new satellite as well to take advantage of spot beams. That frees up enough bandwidth on the other sats to introduce additional SD and HD channels. I am not a tech expert, but I have read analysis that as many as eight additional HD channels could be added before next spring's satellite launch using the existing bandwidth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts