New here and need help - What is Super Ice '95?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

huertaaj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Oxford, Ohio
Newbie about all this big dish stuff here so please help me out. I have a 10' dish with receiver, which I bought at a garage sale and installed about 10 years ago. The whole thing cost me $125. After I installed it, I fiddled with it a few times for about a year and then unplugged it and forgot about it. However, I believe it still works. I am going to try to fire it up again but I don't even remember what capabilities this baby has (if it works), and I have even lost the manual for the receiver. The LNB says Turbine Super Ice '95, and there is a single RG6 cable leaving the LNB along with other wires for LNB polarity I think and also for the dish motor for aiming. The receiver is a Uniden VideoCipher II Plus UST-4500. What do I have here??? Is this a C-band, a Ku-band or both system? If it is only one of those, can I buy a new LNB or new receiver to get both C and Ku bands? Is my stuff outdated and I need to buy new LNB and receiver? Please help me out.
Thanks,
Huertaaj

welcome :)

pics of the LNB work the best but it sounds like you have a C-band only LNB. The receiver is analog for C & KU. Not much up there analog anymore. Most of it has gone to digital.

As for the wiring, I assume there is one coax and a couple sets of wires..probably a set of 3 (for polarity) and one for 4 or 5 (for the dish mover AKA the actuator)

You could try to fire it up and make sure it still works before changing stuff around. Amazingly those older LNB's sometimes do work better

There was a guy that had a satellite TV show (Satellite City, how I've tried to forget) back in that era that sold the "Super Ice" LNB's and stuff...they weren't any better than anything else sold during that time. They weren't bad, just not what his "super advertising" claimed it to be...along with an inflated price...

Oh, yes that was SO annoying! "Super hempt technology"
'The super ice" bla...bla...I can still remember that voice!:eek:

Thanks for the response! So what do I buy now?

OK, so assuming that the LNB (Super Ice '95) and receiver (Uniden Videocipher II) that I have are outdated and not worth fooling with, I would like to upgrade. Can anyone recommend a single LNB or pair of LNB's that I should purchase that will give me both C and Ku capabilities using my 10' dish? I will also need a receiver, any recommendaitons? I looked around, called one of the online satellite dish companies and the guy there said that I could get an INVACOM QUAD POLAR LNB and a SONICVIEW 8000-HD but he couldn't tell me for sure if I could get both C and Ku bands with this. He kept repeating that if I didn't have at least a 12' dish that I would get nothing on C band anyway. However, I remember that with this 10' dish I used to get a bunch of channels (10 years ago). Any recommendations on what equipment to acquire would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Huertaaj

Well, first of all, the quad Invacom is for Ku-only, so already you can tell the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.
And, it's an LNBF, not an LNB.

We need pictures of your existing feedhorn, to better recommend.
Pictures of your dish 'n motor (as requested above) will be useful for getting the best advice, too.

I think folks with 6', 8', and 10' dishes will have something to say about what you can get on C-band.
Heck, even guys running 4' dishes will probably speak up! - :rolleyes:

If the dish is in good shape you mite want to get a c/ku feedhorn with lnb's, a lnbf will work, though I would not use one on my dish, you can grab a Traxis 3500 with a v-box or g-box and your in business for free tv, now if you want subs plus free tv, look around for a 4dtv, 920 or 922 will make it easier to slave a dvb receiver later on for most people, sadly you can only find used or refurb 4d's these days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts