New here, looking for equipment to buy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And, this is very good price! ScreenHunter_299 Apr. 29 22.48.jpg

I'll bet the one in Baltimore won't ship though.... I'd grab that in a heartbeat.
That was just an example. I am pretty sure if you look in your local second-hand site you will find similar ads and even more bargains. Maybe there is nothing interesting ATM but tomorrow - Klondike! :) Take your time

Seems like Craigslist, at least in the Central NJ area usually does not have much for FTA enthusiasts, have been looking over the past year at least once a week. Tons of dishes from former customers using pay TV though.

You might try a local satellite TV installer, sometimes they remove dishes not specifically for pay TV. There is one in Whitehouse Station, NJ, have called them a few times but no luck with that.

A few years ago a guy in Toms River was selling 120cm dishes for $75 plus $100 shipping. I was all set to drive down there to avoid the shipping as you could pick it up, but never got the time. My bad.

W2CRR - at my QTH in Central NJ a 36 inch dish for Ku works fine. Have even used a 30 inch dish with similar results. Motorized dish installation is a little bit more complicated than a stationary dish, but once you get the motor/dish to track the arc you'll have plenty to watch.

Get a good quality state of the art receiver while you are at it.

OK so I think I'll start by getting the 90x76 that's listed locally and a good quality LNBF pointed at 97w so I can at least get RTV East. I'll get the motor and a larger dish before too long, but if y'all think the 90x76 may work just fine in my neck of the woods, then I may just save my pennies for 1.2 or 2.4 for C. I do also see a 30" for sale with everything in 'Cuse, which is an easy ride for me.

Not yet... trying to get the damn thing aligned for 97w... being a bit of a pill :-D

Done! Have to peak it a bit more, but it works! All this time I was fighting a cable end with a possible short, backing it out of the connector on the receiver worked. Got RetroTV working great!

Reactions: FTA4PA
If you are looking for FTA check out Mike Kohls Global CM and hypermegasat and Brian Gohls other sites such as glorystar and satellite AV.

Perazzimx15l,

Good additional shopping resouces with a correction, I have not been involved with Glorystar or SatelliteAV since September 2013. GEOSATpro equipment offerings are great quality products.

I agree 100% with 97w being real easy to find. I spent a couple of hours trying to find 125w for PBS HD before giving up.... I'm enjoying 97w right now, REV'N had Baja races going on, and TVRi plays some really neat old movies. We were watching Sapte Zile (Seven Days) last night.

Gonna invest in a motor and a higher quality mounting system. Also have to find a home for a bud, now that I know I can have my father's 12' if I take it down myself.

Reactions: perazzimx15l
If you continue to have problems finding 125W, just "walk" your way over to it. Start with 97W put a mark on your pole and dish. Then try say for something closer to 97W like 103W when you find that make a mark and move on. Make sure you are skewing your LNBF as you go.

Reactions: FaT Air
Well, I got 87w working, LPB HD may as well be transmitting in 4k because the picture quality is tons better than what I get on DN.

Motor wise, because of the size, should I get an HH100 or an HH120?

Reactions: Jason S
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)