New HIT Channels on SES1 and AMC18

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
According to Lyngsat there have been additional HIT channels added to both SES1 and AMC18 as well as channel moves. Very interesting!

What channels are new... the HD stuff? We need stuff compatible with the 4DTV. Mpeg 4 HD and megapipe won't do anything for us and our current receivers.

Last edited:
There's a lot involved. What we need is either HITS moving some of the combo feeds to X4 and changing the modulation to split or doing that on SES-1. Then remaping multiple birds. As much as I would like a new receiver that can do the new stuff. I don't see that happening at least at the Digicipher level. Motorola is off their nuts with the amount of money that needs to be spent for anything they are involved in.

I don't spend much time here anymore, but what seems to be lacking is a strategy other than a going out of business plan.

What are the chances HITS will change feeds to have more channels compatible with 4DTV? If they're high, start pushing. Otherwise forget about it.

What are the chances of a new 4DTV receiver? Probably nil, so forget about it.

What are the chances an existing DCII receiver can be adapted to receive all modern DCII formats? Certainly not the 4DTV units. Will/can HITS authorize a non-4DTV receiver? If yes, why not consider modding the firmware on something like a Shaw 605?

If the main objective is to continue receiving a dwindling stable of channels while seeking the ability to restore all maps after a reset, I believe you're on the right path.

I do know for fact that its illegal to sub on a shaw unit in the US. Even if it is for US programming.

More Channels Comcast Please!!!

I still say the receiver to use is the VOOM DSR-505 receiver. We would then have HD and a digital OTA tuner. Skyvision should be going after this receiver and forget about the old 4DTV receivers.

I do know for fact that its illegal to sub on a shaw unit in the US. Even if it is for US programming.

it is not illegal to have Shaw Direct (or Bell) in the states. I had Canadian TV in the states for 7 years and there are lots of snowbirds who take their systems to Florida/Arizona.
If you want to play the "technical legality" game its grey area at worst. There is no FCC law that says you can have "foreign" TV in the states. This includes Shaw, Bell, Sky Mexico etc
It IS illegal per the CRTC for Canadians to have Dish or Directv.

I still say the best (and probably cheapest) way to go about offering the HITS HD channels is to offer a DCII CAM (Conditional Access Module) to use in a 3rd party FTA box.

I still say the receiver to use is the VOOM DSR-505 receiver. We would then have HD and a digital OTA tuner. Skyvision should be going after this receiver and forget about the old 4DTV receivers.

Not sure but I would bet under the contract with mot and rainbow these could only be used for voom even if voom went out of business. (Why would they send a kill signal right before shut down?)

We can get new receivers from mot however the minimum order is 20,000

20,000 x $300 =$6,000,000
20,000 x $400 =$8,000,000

SRL counting atm Business (cashdepotplus.com) Annual Sales $8.70M (Thanks hoovers)

Not going to happen :)

wallyhts said:
Not sure but I would bet under the contract with mot and rainbow these could only be used for voom even if voom went out of business. (Why would they send a kill signal right before shut down?)

We can get new receivers from mot however the minimum order is 20,000

SRL counting atm Business (cashdepotplus.com) Annual Sales $8.70M (Thanks hoovers)

$300/box at cost? WTF?!?! Try $100 and then we can talk.

trinidex said:
$300/box at cost? WTF?!?! Try $100 and then we can talk.

I would spend $300 if it could receive HITS HD and SD from both satellites, no problem!

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Ya, $300 is about right. No more though.

I remember we paid $300 for our first DirecTV/USSB system in 1998.

Heck I paid $1,200 for my Houston Tracker VIII with videocipher II.

I like TheTechGuru's idea about using a DCII CAM in FTA receivers.

I payed $1400 for my Monterey 50 in 1990 without a VC module. Now with the way they make electronics a box should cost no more than $199 retail.

Cost price should be closer to $200 or even less if a commitment to purchase 20,000 is made. I could chip in for at least 1,000 units for the Canadian market depending on price.

I would spend $300 if it could receive HITS HD and SD from both satellites, no problem!

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

I thought U$300 was cost to Skyvision and then they would add their markup to us the consumer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)