New home Dish install.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dl76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
South Carolina
Well guys we purchased a new home while back and havent set up my 10 foot dish yet. I needed a longer pole and found one after searching for a few months. Old high school buddy had a 24 foot pole that had a 10 foot dish on it. Dish was gone but pole was still there. Got the pole today. Was hell getting out of ground. Could have been worse. Luckily the cement was not poured evenly around the pole. One side i was able to bust concrete off and pole came loose from cement. Anyways i plan to sand down the rust and paint the dish etc. Will post my progress on the painting and install in this thread. Here is pic of post .
20170114_143043.jpg
20170114_123716.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wow that is a big ass pole!
I went to my local steel place and got all I needed. (but i live in a place with lots of oil drilling)
Are you trying to get above the trees?

Yeah , our home is surrounded by trees. Was no where to put it and get signal with the 9.5 foot poll i had. This pole i got allready has a bracket i can mount to side of house with. I will cement it up close to corner of home and mount bracket to side of eve.

Reactions: hank123
Yeah , our home is surrounded by trees. Was no where to put it and get signal with the 9.5 foot poll i had. This pole i got allready has a bracket i can mount to side of house with. I will cement it in ground up close to corner of home and mount bracket to side of eve.

Are you trying to get stuff out of the far west? How far west can you reach?
At the rental home i was in . I was able to get 139 all the way down to 40.5. But lost about half the tp on 40.5. Rest worked great. I assume i can get almost same at new home.. the trees that are around me are really young trees. Not really that tall yet. I will probably cut down two or three trees. That may give me problems in future.

Reactions: hank123
On the way home with the pole. I took a different way home. It was strait shot down a 4 lane road which eventually turned into two lanes. Only had to make 3 left turns and one right turn. I just knew a cop was gonna pull me over. But it was tied down tight with a neon green flag on end of it. Pole didnt move at all. Comming that different way. I ran across another kti 10 foot . Was in great shape. Only 3 miles from me. May pull in one day and ask owner if he wants it. Cant be in use. Because trees all the way around it.

Hi dl76,

Good luck with your new install. Just remember, servicing that dish all the way up there could become difficult.
I had my dish on a 20 foot pole, attached to my house for 15 years and as the years went by it became more difficult...aka I got older.;)
I eventually lowered it to an 8 foot pole. A few less satellites...yes...but a lot easier to maintain.

John

Hi dl76,

Good luck with your new install. Just remember, servicing that dish all the way up there could become difficult.
I had my dish on a 20 foot pole, attached to my house for 15 years and as the years went by it became more difficult...aka I got older.;)
I eventually lowered it to an 8 foot pole. A few less satellites...yes...but a lot easier to maintain.

John
Yeah, luckily im in the type of business i have a man lift. I figure once i retire ill keep a few peices of equipment and the man lift will be one of them. After several hours of being on a ladder i decided it was worth it to use the man lift to mess around with my feed on my dish, also helps with a lot of other tasks you would otherwise be using a ladder for.

I like the way that you have an infinate declination ajustment on that mount . One that I brought home had just three holes to use and that was the only adjustment on it.

Reactions: dl76
Hi dl76,

John
I should be able to get on roof and get dish pointed due south. I am getting older. 42 years. I still got 20 more years. To get up there.

I like the way that you have an infinate declination ajustment on that mount . One that I brought home had just three holes to use and that was the only adjustment on it.
I brought one home that is that way too, ill be modifying it before i install it.

I should be able to get on roof and get dish pointed due south. I am getting older. 42 years. I still got 20 more years. To get up there.

Hi dl76,

Your dish rehab is looking good...looking forward to future pics.
I was 45 when I put my dish on its 20 foot "pedestal." It served me trouble free for all that time, save for a few tweaks I chose to make.
My wife hated to see me climb that high up so I usually and stupidly did it when she wasn't at home. I was lucky...never even had a close call in all those years. However, I was tired of tempting fate, so I lowered the dish.
Just be careful, there is no safe way to land from 20 feet up.
Posted before and after pics.

John

dish1.jpg
dish2.jpg

You might want to check it first. It might have just the amount of adjustment that you need.
Its possible, but very unlikely that one of 3 holes will be the magic sweetspot for the declination I need. Im sure back in the analog days when it was installed it was close enough. To my mind its easier to weld a few peices of angle and install a bolt to adjust declination for fine tuning before i install the dish then to install a dish and find that one of the 3 holes doesnt work.

Nice work so far on the dish. I just moved to a new place too and got my dish moved before selling the old house. I got an 11 ft pole from work since I work in a steel shop. The soil is 95%+ damp beach sand so I put 2 cubic yards of concrete 6 feet down. I assembled the dish completely on the pole barn floor to keep it true, and built a sled under it, and towed it out through the snow with my jeep. I happened to find a cool guy 1/4 mile down the road with a boom truck so he helped me lift it onto the pole. I myself don't like attaching a dish to a building but that's just me, it's been successfully done many times. My dish has infinite declination adjustment too and it's nice because I notice quite a difference with just 1/8" of adjustment.

I had really thought about painting up all the parts nice like you're doing. But time and decent weather are limited, and there was very little rust on the parts, just sun faded paint and some chips.

Reactions: Titanium and dl76
Weather was nice in SC this afternoon, Got up to 60 degrees. I got one coat painted, on one of the four pannels. This pic was before the paint. Suppose to be 72 degrees tomorrow and 76 Sunday. I should get other three pannels bye Sunday.

Attachments

• 20170210_164624.jpg
    20170210_164624.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: Wms-Stargate
I am getting older. 42 years. I still got 20 more years. To get up there.
Hey, that only makes you 62. Don't give up so soon. I just got to 70 and still go up my 80 foot ham tower.
As for your project: Looks real good. Will be interesting to see it develop.
Wish I had your heat. 14 degrees when I got up today.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.