New home theater receiver

BruceE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I am in the market for a new home theater receiver. I am looking at Sony STR-DG820. Anyone know of a good internet retailer. I checked out Crutchfield but they seem to be almost $100.00 higher that some of the retailers I have checked.
Thanks for any info or help.

BruceE

As someone that turned in a Sony 800 series (in the spring) for a Onkyo 605, Id recommend a 606. You cna get a refurb at ecost very great prices.

The auto calibration of the Onkyo more accurate IMHO, and I think the Onkyo sounds better. Sony was a little more, dunno how to say it, but metallic sounding to me. Maybe the term audiophiles use is "bright".

I would add onecall.com to the list of reputable e-retailers. I've bought from Vanns and Crutchfield as well. The customer service at all of these places is first rate, much better than BB and CC.

Problem is that the reputable ones all tend to charge about the same price. You really do need to shop.

Be very careful of those places that are hundreds of dollars cheaper. They invariably are selling gray market goods. No warranty. Sometimes they have different accessories, and I have occassionally heard of people getting 220 V units with european power cord.

I have been similarly burned on a set of BMW shock absorbers. I was buying a set for a 535 and received a set for a 518 which is a model that isn't even sold here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)