New Home Theater Speakers......

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jeremyburns007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
Ok, So I'm building my HT. I definitely want the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver. It definitely seems like the best one for the money, and offers HDMI switching and 7.1.

Now I need some speakers. My room is ~20'x30'. I was looking at the Onkyo SKS-HT750 7.1 set. It gets good reviews and seems like a great deal. Is that set too small for my room. I can spend $500-$600 (or maybe a little more :) )

Any good ideas? TIA.

The polk speakers I have in my sig are pretty good (frys has them for $160 a pair for fronts and the center costs about $80... you can get them online at outpost.com if you wanted) I still need to upgrade my rear channels but the sound that comes out of the fronts and center is the best I've heard (not that I'ved owned anything extravagant but still very nice)

I think that set may be a little thin on the bottom end. Those 3.5" 'woofers' on the main speakers aren't going to do anything below 150 Hz, no matter what they spec, and that 250W 10" subwoofer is likely pretty weak. The hidden item is that Onkyo is not a speaker company, and they likely farmed this out. I'd stay with a more reputable brand, known for speakers.

How about something like this Infinity system?
Infinity Primus Theater Pack II Home Theater System - In Stock at OneCall.com

It has good specs, and is generally well regarded. It comes in cheap enough that you can then add a subwoofer from a number of clearance items.
Clearance Store | Home Theater | Subwoofers

There are ones in here which will stay within the $600 budget, or you can bump it up a bit. That 650W Infinity would be a killer match to this system, but would bump it up $100.

You have a large room, and at your price level you may have trouble finding speakers that will load the room the way you would like. Sorry, but big rooms usually require appropriate sized speakers. Small satellites are probably not going to give you the desired results, unless you're sitting in the nearfield.

Exactly what Paul said... what will eat you alive will be your receiver and subwoofer.

Forget about getting a sub until you increase your budget. Any sub in that range in a room that size will sound boomy as heck.

Do you have a Fry's in your area? They often run specials on JBL and Infinity towers which you pretty much need (or some really good bookshelves, in-walls) for that type of room.

I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll just have to solve this problem by throwing more money at it.

Use your ears, and audition as many speakers as you can. You'll know the right speakers when you here them, trust me. There are plenty of great speakers out there for less money than you think. Take your time, you'll have to live with them for a while.

I have Polks and they are great. My subwoofer is a 250 watt powered Yamaha that I will be replacing but boy does it kick out the sound. I found that pushing more freq to the subwoofer does more for low end reproduction then allowing the front speakers to push bass. Everyone's setup is going to be differant due to equipment, speaker location, furniture in the room, access to the room (multiple accesses will trap sound) and level at which you desire to listen.

If you match the speakers well to the output of your reciever you will get good to great playback that you will enjoy. Just remember, once you start out upgrading there will always be something you can add to improve your playback. Right now my next step is to have two subwoofers instead of one to balance the reproduction of sound from my HT. And when more true 7.1 soundtracks start hitting the market -- back speakers for my setup.

There will always be more to add!:D Have fun and good luck in your selection.

I have Polks and they are great. My subwoofer is a 250 watt powered Yamaha that I will be replacing but boy does it kick out the sound. I found that pushing more freq to the subwoofer does more for low end reproduction then allowing the front speakers to push bass. Everyone's setup is going to be differant due to equipment, speaker location, furniture in the room, access to the room (multiple accesses will trap sound) and level at which you desire to listen.

If you match the speakers well to the output of your reciever you will get good to great playback that you will enjoy. Just remember, once you start out upgrading there will always be something you can add to improve your playback. Right now my next step is to have two subwoofers instead of one to balance the reproduction of sound from my HT. And when more true 7.1 soundtracks start hitting the market -- back speakers for my setup.

There will always be more to add!:D Have fun and good luck in your selection.

That was one of the best things I ever did in my system. It really smoothed out the bass frequencies. The Audyssey in my Onkyo really helped also, in taming a nasty hump I had around 100hz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)