New Hopper 3 not seeing recordings from ext. HD

NR2D

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
Laurel Springs NJ
I connected my external hard drive to my new Hopper 3 last night. I receive the dialogue box that I have connected an external device to the USB port. I then go to the DVR screen and it shows both the internal HD and external HD.

When I go to the external HD the box show that it is 11% full but the Hopper 3 and a green line continues to go across the box but will not show any of the recordings. The screen will then time out and I end up at the live TV screen.

The EHD is from my older 722K. It is a G-Force HDand a USB 2 interface. I have it connected to the rear USB 2.0 port. I have tried it on the rear USB 3.o port and on the front USB 2.0 port. It worked great there. Any ideas on why I can't see the recordings?

If you just got your H3 installed, give it a few days and it will work just fine. Hopper 3s take up to 72 hours to get fully loaded for those extras...

If you just got your H3 installed, give it a few days and it will work just fine. Hopper 3s take up to 72 hours to get fully loaded for those extras...
The Hopper 3 has been in for a week. I just connected the EHD last night. I give it a couple of days to see what happens.

I just noticed that you said it worked in the 3.0 port in the back of the H3. That is where it needs to be, even though it is a 2.0 USB device. Plug it back in to the 3.0 and move forward... :)

Did the H3 recognize your EHD with a popup message?
Yes I did receive the popup message stating I have connected a multimedia device to the USB port "External Device 1".

The USB port on the hard drive is built in to the hard drive. It is USB 2.0 compliant. I actually used on my older iMac before I up
graded to a new iMac that supports USB 3.0.

As for working on the USB 3.0 port sorry I miss spoke. On all 3 ports I received the popup when the HD was connected to each port.
The Hopper 3 see's the EHD, it shows 11% full when I select the "External Device 1" but when connected to all 3 ports the recordings
still do not populate the DVR recording screen.

I don't see any error codes or error messages.

I moved stuff from a hopper 1 and a hopper with sling and only saw stuff that was transfered from the hopper with sling.

Just sharing, not saying it is what should happen.

Well I played with the EHD and my Hopper 3 again last night but with no luck.
I guess I'll give up and re-format the EHD. But I haven't seen anything in the
settings that will allow me to format the EHD. Am I missing something?

Well I gave up on having my Hopper 3 find the recordings on my EHD that was connected to my old 722K. I decided to purchase a new EHD that is USB 3.0 compliant and bigger. Now I remember when I first connected the EHD to my 722K it went through a format process. Will this be the same when I connect the new EHD?

Well I just went through 2 brand new Fantom USB 3.0 EXDs. Both were dead out of the box. I went with Fantom because I have 3 presently in derive on my 2 iMacs.

So I just read another thread and it seems like Western Digital was the recommended manufacturer. So I ordered 1 from Amazon. 2TB and USB 3.0.

When I was building my own computers Western Digital drives were what I used. So here's hoping they still good.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I don't think Fantom makes their own hard drives. I know with 2.5" Hard Drives, when IBM and later Hitachi TravelStars were the only game in town for 7200rpm, they failed after some time. Fujitsu never died on me but were slower at 4200rpm. Seagate later came out with 2.5" drives but they also failed. Western Digital are the only ones who never died as far as 2.5" drives are concerned.

Reactions: NR2D
Have other had success with this? I'm asking because I'm very close to pulling the trigger on moving to a Hopper 3 from my old 722 and have a ton of stuff on my EHD plus I plan to move everything from the 722 before the switch out. If it's normal for this not to work I'll just keep what I have.

Have other had success with this? I'm asking because I'm very close to pulling the trigger on moving to a Hopper 3 from my old 722 and have a ton of stuff on my EHD plus I plan to move everything from the 722 before the switch out. If it's normal for this not to work I'll just keep what I have.
I moved from HWS to H3 and I had no issues transferring my EHD contents to the new H3. I also had no issues backing up and restoring timers with the remote.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I also had no issues backing up and restoring timers with the remote.

Now that is a new one to me. I had assumed there was no way to backup and restore timers with the Hopper. Can you clarify this? I currently have a VIP 722 and have in the past backed up timers to the remote and restored them (or many of them at least) to a replacement VIP 722. Would it be possible to back up my 722 timers, then restore them to a Hopper? If this is possible, which remote do you use, the old VIP remote or the new Hopper remote?

I think it's a YMMV as it's not the physical hard drive that is the problem since the data will be fine, it's the Hard drive to USB interface chipset it's picky with.

That brings up an interesting thought. If I bought a new drive of a type that that seems to be working for everyone (Western Digital seems to be what everyone is using), is it possible to clone the old drive to the new somehow? I have a clone application on my Mac that makes copies of hard drives, or maybe I would need to restore everything from the old drive to the VIP 722, connect the new drive, then move everything back to it. That seems like a tedious and slow process, but it should work.

Now that is a new one to me. I had assumed there was no way to backup and restore timers with the Hopper. Can you clarify this? I currently have a VIP 722 and have in the past backed up timers to the remote and restored them (or many of them at least) to a replacement VIP 722. Would it be possible to back up my 722 timers, then restore them to a Hopper? If this is possible, which remote do you use, the old VIP remote or the new Hopper remote?

You can use the remote to backup and restore from Hopper to Hopper but the 722 remote and the Hopper are not compatible for that purpose.

You can use the remote to backup and restore from Hopper to Hopper but the 722 remote and the Hopper are not compatible for that purpose.
I was afraid of that. So the 40.0 remote isn't compatible with the 722.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts