New Hopper and vertical size issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My problem is actually with the Joey in the bedroom. My Hopper is on my main TV and it is connected with RGB plus audio and it is not nearly the problem as the Joey which is noticeable. I sent 5 screen shots to Zach ! Dish and maybe he will come up with something.

@jerryz ... all I got after spending a lot of time putting the picture on my web site and then copying the url's into a reply on the forum was 5 boxes with big red X's in them so I deleted the reply.

Here is an almost correct aspect picture but requires wide zoom and the other is native, full pixel which is what should be selected ... you decide.
I sent Zach pic of every resolution but this clearly shows the prolem
wide%20zoom.JPG

Here is the picture with 1080p/i
1080.JPG

Neither pic should have top and bottom bars. You've got a format (zoom) or aspect setting problem somewhere. You are POSITIVE you are watching the HD channel??? I ask that when on the (those) channels and press your format (*) botton until you get to "normal". What do you see? Take a pic.

Last edited:
I just had something similar at a family friends house. They thought their hopper was screwed up. 10 seconds of playing with the tv settings itself, and I found their tv had zoom on. Was not even a dish issue. They had two TVs with zoom on though.

Unbelievable ... The dam bars are the bezel on my TV !

Yep ... I definitely have a problem ... should have stuck with I give up.

Neither pic should have top and bottom bars. You've got a format (zoom) or aspect setting problem somewhere. You are POSITIVE you are watching the HD channel??? I ask that when on the (those) channels and press your format (*) botton until you get to "normal". What do you see? Take a pic.

Bars are my TV Bezel ... I do know the difference ...lol.

You're looking at it ... bottom picture as labeled and as said
the other is native, full pixel which is what should be selected. Here is the picture with 1080p/i

That's one HUGE bezel. How old is the TV?

Let it go friend ... the TV is 2 years old. You can't see the outline of the TV because it is in a dark cabinet but you should not need to question it.

It is sad that you can't see the difference in those two pictures ... is it "normal" now. I will pay $250 if you come over here and fix it because I don't have the TV programmed right or the Joey or my TV is defective.

I can tell you for sure that this whole Hopper/Joey thing is pretty much a mess. Bad picture, icons from hell and no list, volume control out of control.

I found another one last night ... give it a try for yourself.

If your remote is programmed to control the volume on an AUX device volume when you press the volume control it now stays on for almost a full second !!! Only if it is programed to control the Aux volume mind you. This causes the volume control to be a POS, chunky and very coarse. In fact, I can't even use it it is so bad.

I can't imagine what moronic idiot at Dish came up with that one ... how stupid can it be - probably related to the Icon team. This is the ONLY function that it occurs on and only if the volume is to controlled via the Aux! So let's not turn it up just a little with a brief press. Instead, let's hammer the crap out of it to be sure we got it turned up plenty with every click ... unreal and yet another now useless function making the whole system a disaster.

I wonder if this is why I had to return the Bluetooth headsets I ordered ... coarse volume control. Off and next press much too loud ... unusable. Now I have a hunch it may be a Dish thing and will know tomorrow.

All the bells and whistles caused Dish to lose site of basic quality functionality. Incredible about he remote and Aux function IF IT IS SET TO CONTROL VOLUME.

All I've been trying to do is help you out. But it seems you don't want it, so YES, I'll let it go.

I have my main tv hooked up to surround sound, and the aux controls the volume. If I press volume it only goes up once. If I hold it down, it only goes up as high or low as I want it to. Never had a single issue there.

Reactions: ncted
All I've been trying to do is help you out. But it seems you don't want it, so YES, I'll let it go.

I do appreciate the interest Kab and I am not wanting to be disrespectful. However, all it seems you have said is that I have the format wrong or that I’m watching SD which is not the case.

Unfortunately the consensus seems to be that I have something messed up …that is not the case. I even posted two pictures. Nothing more I can do.

I have my main tv hooked up to surround sound, and the aux controls the volume. If I press volume it only goes up once. If I hold it down, it only goes up as high or low as I want it to. Never had a single issue there.

You are fortunate then but that's probably not the case actually. When you get home have another look.

If the remote is programed (I have 5 of them) to control aux eq. volume you will see that when you press the volume button that the aux light stay on considerably longer that all of the other functions that are not associated with this like channel up/down, etc.. My AV system has a large wheel for the volume and it is very noticeable. If yours is digital see how many dB you change with a quick press .... try it with the original remote and compare it. When the remote button is pressed for as short a time as possible the remote aux light stays after the button is released. What is happening is the signal is staying on also and telling the AV system that the button is still pressed. Don't take my word for it. Look at the IR lens on the remote with you camera and press the volume button quick ... you will see that the signal is still on until the red aux light goes out - long after you released the button. This is the same as you saying if you hold it down it goes up as high or low as you want. Dish has decided what the minimum it will go up or down ... not you and on a good receiver it is too much of a jump and makes the volume setting very coarse instead of smooth.

If I use the AV system remote or an old Dish remote the volume will barely change with the same input from me to the remote - it is gradual and very smooth. It actually takes perhaps 3-5 quick presses to get a slightly noticeable change in level. One press with the new and improved v.40 Hopper remote is like off or too loud or way too loud.

Funny part is that it's all software and a few simple lines of code, possibly deleting one ... give me the source code and I can fix it in 15 minutes or less I am sure and any decent SW engineer can as well.

If you haven't guessed ... I'm not impressed with the Hopper/Joey. The VIP was bullet proof IMO. What is more interesting, however, is that folks simply don't seem to care. For the cost of service and the length of time Dish has been at it there really is not much excuse.

I can't say I've seen this issue before. My first thought would be to make sure the TV itself is set on 16:9 and then make sure the receiver is set on 16:9 or normal but from what I've read it sounds like you'd checked both the receivers and TVs. It's most likely not the case since you notice it on multiple TVs. I honestly don't know what could cause this other than maybe a bad hopper.

Was the aux volume learned from another remote or is it a pre-programmed device code?

The 40.0 has always had an issue with "repeating" learned commands. Many devices don't seem to notice, but some do.

I have done this test multiple times. It changes .5db at a time, which is the same as my Yamaha remote. My sony will move multiple adjustments, but it does that with the sony remote as well. So no change there. I have had a total of 6 hoppers. 2 h2k's, 2 beta hoppers, 1 hws(replaced one of the h2ks by choice) and when I returned my beta equipment when I left the company, I had a software issue on my HWS so it was replaced. The problems you are reporting have not taken place on any of them. Actually, generally speaking it has been unproblematic for me for the most part. So yes, I do love their equipment. I had 2 722k's and a 612 before, and can say without a shadow of a doubt, the hoppers, look better and perform a hell of a lot better.

Nothing more I can do.
Yes, there is. Contact Dirt. If indeed you have a bad unit, they will send you another one.

And regarding the aux audio/remote problem...not a problem here.

Aquestion on your voilume control problem. When you try to control the sound lever through your AVR, are you pressing the white aux button first? That's the way my system works. I press the AUX button, change the sound level then press the SAT button again.( a big box appears on the screen prompting me to do so.
Again, is your Joey connected to the tv by hdmi or composite cables?

I can't say I've seen this issue before. My first thought would be to make sure the TV itself is set on 16:9 and then make sure the receiver is set on 16:9 or normal but from what I've read it sounds like you'd checked both the receivers and TVs. It's most likely not the case since you notice it on multiple TVs. I honestly don't know what could cause this other than maybe a bad hopper.

I don't know how the system works and which box is processing the HD signal. If it isa the Hopper alone with a pass through to the Joey then the Hopper wold in fact be suspect. I only watch CNN and Fox in the bedroom in the AM and before bed and news is mostly face shots so it it very noticeable. In the family room where the Hopper is I watch a movie at night and do not notice it much and probably would not since it is not mostly face shots.

You've never answered my question on how your connected. You said RGB and analog audio to the AVR, but never said how the AVR is connected to the TV or how the Joey is connected. Is there a reason your not using hdmi? I suspect that you have a problem there.

As far as the remote. Do the simple thing I suggested and use your camera/phone (it can see the IR and you can not (hopefully!)). Press your volume if it is controlling audio via the aux button ... see how long it stays on and then try it with any other function. ALL functions except the aux follow the button press. The aux function stays on after the button is released so the equipment sees it as multiple inputs.

@Chad .... .5dB increase/decrease can not be heard by the human ear so perhaps yours is just an indicator. 1 dB is the minimum level change we can detect. I do not have a dB level indication but I can certainly detect the difference from inaudible to too loud with one fast button press from the remote. I can also see the tuning wheel move. If you're getting precisely the same result with you OEM remote and the Dish remote then I have 5 bad remotes or a whacked AVR. However, with the remote set to control the TV volume via the sat side it works perfectly and as it should. Press the button is on and release and it is off. With the aux function press the button and it is on and release = delay then off. You must have a special remote indeed. I'm going to guess this is in the remote itself and probably not fixable unless it can get firmware updates. My old remotes (all of them) from the VIP-622 work perfectly on the volume using the aux setup with this Hopper.

I would respectfully disagree with you about the equipment. I'm a simple person and have only had I think it was a 508 and then a VIP-622 for many, many years (replaced only one). I've had sat TV probably longer than allot of folks have been around and it goes back to the "C" Band stuff and Houston trackers. The eq. has indeed come a long ways; however the "new" generation of thinkers are more interested in "bling" than actual functionality with the list vs. icon being a great example - a known complaint for at least two years.

@darween2 ... connected the only way it can be for HD

@KAB .... I sent 5 screen shots to Zach over the weekend and he should get them today.

Thanks to all for looking ....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)