New Hopper Install Today - Question About Wiring

jontheophilus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
I am new to Dish, going with a 1 Hopper, 2 Joey setup to start. I've never had any satellite service at my house, so this will be a new install. I assume the tech will run 1 or 2 new coax lines from the dish to my homerun box in the basement.

My question is this, if at some point I want to add a second hopper (see my great debate in previous threads), should I ask the tech to wire for such a setup (I believe I would need a duo node?)??

Will they even do this?

Yes, I would ask. However, since your order is for one Hopper, he is only responsible to run two. If he would agree to run all three, a little "grease" at the end would be in order.

Is a tip customary for an installer that does a pro job?
Well, wouldn't you appreciate one if you went above and beyond? I'm not an installer, but I'm sure there aren't many that would turn one down. They are not making much money to begin with, so let your conscience be your guide.

Absolutely, was just curious if it's common. I've only had experience with Xfinity, and let's just say all of those experiences did not warrant anything extra! :)

Installing cable is far more easy than satellite. These guys need to:
climb roofs
install dishes
install poles for people who have special needs getting a signal
aim the dish
run the coax
make the coax look pretty
setup the receiver
call to get it activated
etc

Cable installers have it easy compared to sat installers, they also don't make the best $ so they go above and beyond to please the customer

If I were the installer any tip would be appreciated. I would be happy with $5 just so I could go buy a pop and a snack. I've done Dish installs and delivered appliances and I rarely saw a tip. Just offering a pop or snack can go a long way with anyone in my opinion.

I gave my last guy $40 and had done all the wiring before he arrived. I even made out a diagram. He was thrilled with the diagram and work and took the diagram to show his shop. Didn't seem unhappy about the money, either. ;)

But $20 would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The amount you pay should probably be commensurate with the number of questions you ask and how much stuff the installer must ask you to move out of the way so they can do their job.

He did a nice job and was very friendly. He only wired it for a single hopper, but I'm not too worried about it.

Everything was working great, but we have already lost the signal on everything. There is a storm moving in the area, but it's not even raining yet.

Wife already asked if it's going to do this every time it rains!

He did a nice job and was very friendly. He only wired it for a single hopper, but I'm not too worried about it.

Everything was working great, but we have already lost the signal on everything. There is a storm moving in the area, but it's not even raining yet.

Wife already asked if it's going to do this every time it rains!

The was a brief general outage, its fixed now (At least for me).

There were storms at Dish's HQ in Wyoming (The uplink center where the channels are sent to the satellites). This rarely ever happens so don't worry friend :)

Except it's happened twice now in less that a week, so hopefully "rarely" doesn't get redefined. :)

So overall he did a nice job with the install. The one issue I noticed after he left is he cut one of the RG6 lines in the crawl space going to our spare bedroom from the OnQ bo:mad:nothing has ever been hooked up in that room). So the sat feed and single node are in the crawl, and he then used this line to feed the OnQ box in the finished basement, then used some splitters to feed the hopper and joeys.

Why would he have not tried to fish a new line to the OnQ box and not destroy the existing wiring in my house? We are talking like 5 feet of fishing wire, the OnQ is right next to the crawl where he installed the node.

So overall he did a nice job with the install. The one issue I noticed after he left is he cut one of the RG6 lines in the crawl space going to our spare bedroom from the OnQ bo:mad:nothing has ever been hooked up in that room). So the sat feed and single node are in the crawl, and he then used this line to feed the OnQ box in the finished basement, then used some splitters to feed the hopper and joeys.

Why would he have not tried to fish a new line to the OnQ box and not destroy the existing wiring in my house? We are talking like 5 feet of fishing wire, the OnQ is right next to the crawl where he installed the node.
Everything is working, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)