New Hopper Installed - Networking Question

mbuchsbaum

Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Hi all! Thanks for checking this post out. I had a Hopper and Joey installed for the first time yesterday and after about 2.5 hours everything's up and running. We ran into a problem with the Internet connection and ended up using the Wi-Fi adapter, but I can't figure out why. Here's the scenario and steps tried:

• Had a hard-wired CAT-5 connection to a router working fine with DirecTV
  • Installer and I tried that same cable in both the top and bottom Ethernet ports on the Hopper (Didn't work)
  • Tried a new CAT-5 cable to a different port on the router (Didn't work)
  • Tried that cable and router port into a laptop which worked fine
  • Tried a second new Hopper from the truck (Didn't work)
  • Tried the USB Wi-Fi adapter from DISH (Worked!!!)

So I'm really confused here and need to do some digging this weekend. In a nutshell, everything we tried using a hardwired connection failed, but the Wi-Fi connection worked. Any ideas?

Thanks!

i don't suppose that port is configured for gigabit speed? That or issues with half or full duplex are possible culprits.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like an auto negotiation issue indeed. I would try a crossover cable into the laptop and see if it links. That should autoneg properly at 100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bad ethernet on the Hopper, perhaps? If they wifi adaptor works, I wouldn't sweat it. Though it would nag me that there's possibly something wrong with the Hopper's hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)