New Hopper Questions

HotRod19579

Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
I just got my two new Hoppers installed and I am impatiently waiting 24 hours for everything to work as expected but I have a question. When playing back recordings it is my understanding that you can automatically skip commercials. How do you enable this feature?

Another question. What happened to the point dish settings option? I don't see an option in the settings menu to be able to look at signal strength for the various satellites.

Sorry, but another question. I have PTAT enabled. Is there a way to tell the hopper to save some of the PTAT recordings longer than the 8 days? If I manually set timers for recordings which are included in the PTAT channels will they be saved for longer than the 8 days? Will those timers use additional tuners or will those timers share the PTAT tuner?

It is my understanding that ONLY the PTAT recordings on the major networks auto-skip the commercials for you.

The "Point Dish" option is under Menu, Settings, Diagnostics, Point Dish.

PTAT recordings are saved for 8 days but I do not think you can save them beyond that. I do not use PTAT so someone with more knowledge will have to answer those questions better for you. Yes, You can set other timers for those same PTAT shows, but you would be using up tuners and timers in doing so.

HotRod19579 said:
I just got my two new Hoppers installed and I am impatiently waiting 24 hours for everything to work as expected but I have a question. When playing back recordings it is my understanding that you can automatically skip commercials. How do you enable this feature?

Another question. What happened to the point dish settings option? I don't see an option in the settings menu to be able to look at signal strength for the various satellites.

Sorry, but another question. I have PTAT enabled. Is there a way to tell the hopper to save some of the PTAT recordings longer than the 8 days? If I manually set timers for recordings which are included in the PTAT channels will they be saved for longer than the 8 days? Will those timers use additional tuners or will those timers share the PTAT tuner?

Auto-Hop works ONLY on your PTAT recordings. After your Hopper records that nights programs Auto-Hop will be applied to the shows. It does not apply them to any live sporting event or news@9,10. Also some filler/syndicated shows in the last hour won't have them.

Point dish- menu, settings, diagnostics, point dish. Or if you want you can use shortcuts- yellow button, 9, 1.

A couple of ways to save programs. If you set a timer for a PTAT show it will record it using PTAT tuner, it won't show the timer recording in the schedule but it will record.

Or once a series is in the PTAT folders you can choose to save a show once or save series.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It is my understanding that ONLY the PTAT recordings on the major networks auto-skip the commercials for you.

and AutoHop only shows up around 1AM after those primetime ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX shows have been recorded by PTAT.

Regarding PTAT timers... Set a timer or using the Save Series function. They don't take up any more than the 1 tuner you're already reserving for PTAT. There is a Save Series function of PTAT, but it's just a timer that you can edit just like any other.

Thanks, I found the point dish menu option.

I think I might have answered my PTAT questions. I set three timers for the PTAT channels. It is shortly after 7pm (my prime time) and I see the three recordings in the "my recordings" list and I see the 4 recordings in the PrimeTime list. My assumption is that by having manual times the PTAT recordings will be saved beyond the 8 days and they don't consume any of the available tuners (other than the PTAT tuner).

From sparc... "and AutoHop only shows up around 1AM after those primetime ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX shows have been recorded by PTAT."

Now that is really good information. I had no idea. It is little tidbits like this that I come to this forum to get! :D

Another awesome tip....yellow, yellow. I play around with the remote trying to find all it's "secret" codes, but is there a listing anywhere of all the various little secrets with the remote and the front panel of the Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts