New Hopper Software Has Rolled out (S215, S216, S217)

If they disabled the "bridging" does that mean I need to run network cables to both my Joeys to get OnDemand? I just had my system installed recently and my Joey's never did have ethernet run to them. I was hoping not to do any additional cabling. If it matters I have 1H/2J with the Hopper connected to my network. The Joeys are MoCA only.

Two comments.
2) Making the PTAT recording variable (selectable networks and days) argues AGAINST the oft-reported statement that a whole transponder is being recorded. Sure, this could be just a GUI change and the whole transponder could be recorded and the Dish execs claiming it's the whole transponder might be right after all. But IMHO, particularly if we're only talking about only 200GB devoted to PTAT, the Hopper is and always has been demultiplexing the transponder into 4 and only 4 channels. This is why we couldn't have any more than 4. This is why Dish can now allow selective recording of network channels. This is why it takes so little room on disk. And (on the plus side and this is really pure speculation) this will allow Dish in the future to give us the opportunity to select any 4 HD networks, and not just the Big Four.

Not necessarily -- it COULD in theory allow selecting "any 4 that happen to reside on the same transponder", but how do you explain that to the end user? "You can record 1 to 4 of these 4, OR 1-4 of these 4, OR..." And that's assuming they're not doing other tricks on the Big 4 Transponder that don't happen elsewhere.

If they disabled the "bridging" does that mean I need to run network cables to both my Joeys to get OnDemand? I just had my system installed recently and my Joey's never did have ethernet run to them. I was hoping not to do any additional cabling. If it matters I have 1H/2J with the Hopper connected to my network. The Joeys are MoCA only.

I don't think so. I have 1 Hopper internet connected and the other Hopper/Joeys are cable connected. Bridging is disabled. Its a std hookup with a duo node. I can download and watch stuff from BB@Home on all 4 boxes. I do get a warning that they are not connected to the internet when I go to On Demand but it's a bug.

If I am reading this correctly though, the end-user actually has lost some "personal" recording space. I thought the previous split was 1TB end-user recordings, 0.5TB PTAT and 0.5 Dish BS. It looks like Dish has grabbed more space for their VOD service (0.8TB now instead of 0.5TB), which I will never use until Dish matches RedBox prices. I wish they would just release the VOD space to end-user control. Give us the whole 2TB to use as we wish.

No you didn't lose any space, PTAT was actually taking up less then 200 GB of space. :)

Since they didn't give us additional space I can only hope they are going to use the space for the VOD / HBO On Demand features they announced way back at CES.

How much space does 8 days worth of PTAT recordings take up? If more than .2 gb, this is a "lose" for us PTAT users.
It's pretty close to the approx 200GB of space they gave back. As I said, I think my total free space ticked up a little and I had a full 8 days of PTA on disk. This would be variable to a degree, some weeks might run over a little.

2) Making the PTAT recording variable (selectable networks and days) argues AGAINST the oft-reported statement that a whole transponder is being recorded.

I haven't really thought the save the whole transponder on disk was valid was valid since they updated the viewing status screen to show PTA. They are obviously capable of de-muxing it all live. Only using 200GB for PTA is another indicator, the full transponder would take more space. They could be saving the whole thing live and splitting it out later that night, but it just doesn't feel thats the way it is working.

Oh no wonder the Joey no longer shows a connection to the internet and Pandora no longer works. Why in the world would they disable Bridging? That's a downgrade, not an upgrade. What was wrong with bridging the Joey? This makes no sense.

Oh no wonder the Joey no longer shows a connection to the internet and Pandora no longer works. Why in the world would they disable Bridging? That's a downgrade, not an upgrade. What was wrong with bridging the Joey? This makes no sense.

Another great software update, brought to you by DISH:rolleyes:

You try running a "Test Connection" too see if it passes??

This is (hopefully) a short term "fix". It was suspected that the original implementation of bridging was causing some Joeys to unlink from the Hopper. Hopefully internal testing will be more robust before returning bridging to the Hopper.

It has been noted elsewhere on this forum that going through the process of DISABLING it that was provided before, also allows you to ENABLE it on S215.

Last edited:
This is (hopefully) a short term "fix". It was suspected that the original implementation of bridging was causing some Joeys to unlink from the Hopper. Hopefully internal testing will be more robust before returning bridging to the Hopper.

It has been noted elsewhere on this forum that going through the process of DISABLING it that was provided before, also allows you to ENABLE it on S215.

The default setting has been set to disabled. You can turn it back on. Here are the steps on how to do this.

Yellow Hot Key
Select Network
Select Broadband
Select MoCA from drop down
Blue Hot Key twice.

I don't have an EHD, subscribed to Dish with Hopper this year, got the 3 months of movie channels free, recorded a ton, did not subscribe to the movie channels following 3 month promotion, and now have a couple of movies I can't watch because I am no longer subscribed.

Should this update fix that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts