New Hopper Software Has Rolled out (S215, S216, S217)

I don't have an EHD, subscribed to Dish with Hopper this year, got the 3 months of movie channels free, recorded a ton, did not subscribe to the movie channels following 3 month promotion, and now have a couple of movies I can't watch because I am no longer subscribed.

Should this update fix that?

Yes. It should, but will it? We'll see.

I don't have an EHD, subscribed to Dish with Hopper this year, got the 3 months of movie channels free, recorded a ton, did not subscribe to the movie channels following 3 month promotion, and now have a couple of movies I can't watch because I am no longer subscribed.

Should this update fix that?

Yup!

If they disabled the "bridging" does that mean I need to run network cables to both my Joeys to get OnDemand? I just had my system installed recently and my Joey's never did have ethernet run to them. I was hoping not to do any additional cabling. If it matters I have 1H/2J with the Hopper connected to my network. The Joeys are MoCA only.

OnDemand works if the Hopper is connected to the internet. Bridging or Ethernet to Joey is required for DLNA at the Joey

Vivek
DISH

I notice people keep saying 1.2GB user partition, but isn't it 1.2TB (Terabytes?) :D

Yes, and I am guilty of this blunder too. 6AM in my case and not yet fully awake. Sorry!

Not necessarily -- it COULD in theory allow selecting "any 4 that happen to reside on the same transponder", but how do you explain that to the end user? "You can record 1 to 4 of these 4, OR 1-4 of these 4, OR..." And that's assuming they're not doing other tricks on the Big 4 Transponder that don't happen elsewhere.

Didn't you check out Scott's screen captures in post #1? It would be just about foolproof for that PTAT setup screen to include more than 4 checkboxes.

OnDemand works if the Hopper is connected to the internet. Bridging or Ethernet to Joey is required for DLNA at the Joey

Vivek
DISH

Say, are you the real Vivek? Welcome!

Didn't you check out Scott's screen captures in post #1? It would be just about foolproof for that PTAT setup screen to include more than 4 checkboxes.

I did, but the UI would still be a bit of a mess. Don't forget, PTAT still takes advantage of multiple channels on the same transponder to record multiple shows using only one tuner, even if it's no longer just recording the entire stream on the transponder.

So, imagine someone coming along and saying "Hey, I'd like to record SciFi every night using this PTAT thing". They'd need to be able to find which transponder SciFi is on (certainly doable with a search), then from there the receiver would say "Oh, you can also record up to 3 more of the following..." listing all the other channels that happen to share that transponder. Heck, depending on how good the on-the-fly demuxing is, you might even be able to allow more than 4 as long as they're in the same stream. Definitely doable, but is it worth Dish's effort to implement and (more importantly -- this IS Dish :) ) debug?

So if you keep PTAT like it is and for 8 days...will you notice a difference in % recorded on dvr???

Your "% full" counter on the DVR summary banner will show more of your drive full. The actual amount of free space will stay about the same.

I had "34% Full" before 215. With 215 I am now at "45% Full." At first glance, it looks like I lost space, but I didn't.

The percent full reading is misleading because you need to look at the free space. Before 215 I had 66% of 1.0TB free, now I have 55% of 1.2TB free. If you do the math that works out to be about 660GB free both ways. I actually have 698GB free space after 215.

It may not always work out to the last itty bitty byte depending on compression ratios, but no one is losing any meaningful recording space with this update. If you don't use PTA you have gained 200GB of useful space.

JM42 said:
Your "% full" counter on the DVR summary banner will show more of your drive full. The actual amount of free space will stay about the same.

I had "34% Full" before 215. With 215 I am now at "45% Full." At first glance, it looks like I lost space, but I didn't.

The percent full reading is misleading because you need to look at the free space. Before 215 I had 66% of 1.0TB free, now I have 55% of 1.2TB free. If you do the math that works out to be about 660GB free both ways. I actually have 698GB free space after 215.

It may not always work out to the last itty bitty byte depending on compression ratios, but no one is losing any meaningful recording space with this update. If you don't use PTA you have gained 200GB of useful space.

Awesome...thanks and can't wait for the update

I did, but the UI would still be a bit of a mess. Don't forget, PTAT still takes advantage of multiple channels on the same transponder to record multiple shows using only one tuner, even if it's no longer just recording the entire stream on the transponder.

So, imagine someone coming along and saying "Hey, I'd like to record SciFi every night using this PTAT thing". They'd need to be able to find which transponder SciFi is on (certainly doable with a search), then from there the receiver would say "Oh, you can also record up to 3 more of the following..." listing all the other channels that happen to share that transponder. Heck, depending on how good the on-the-fly demuxing is, you might even be able to allow more than 4 as long as they're in the same stream. Definitely doable, but is it worth Dish's effort to implement and (more importantly -- this IS Dish :) ) debug?

I don't think Krell meant any random network, but additional locals on the same transponder. I have two HD PBS stations and two HD independents on the same transponder as the big four. It's would be theoretically possible to add check boxes for those stations to the PTAT setup screen. They may have to limit it to "any four" or something like that due to processing of de-mux capabilities.

I personally think Dish won't do this, following KISS principle and not wanting to restrict transponder moves - but I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

PTA is now included in the 1.2GB User space. At first glance, the DVR summary of showing "percent full" makes it look like you have lost some space because the percentage of the drive in use has increased since the PTA recrordings are in the mix.

The reality is we haven't really lost any space. Now I have 55% of 1.2GB free vs 67% of 1.0 GB free. For non-PTA users this is a win.

Haha... Makes sense... Just didn't at 4am :p .

JM42 said:
I don't think Krell meant any random network, but additional locals on the same transponder. I have two HD PBS stations and two HD independents on the same transponder as the big four. It's would be theoretically possible to add check boxes for those stations to the PTAT setup screen. They may have to limit it to "any four" or something like that due to processing of de-mux capabilities.

I personally think Dish won't do this, following KISS principle and not wanting to restrict transponder moves - but I would be very happy to be proved wrong.

PBS and CW would be bug pluses for me. But currently those are on a different transponder. Dish would have to swap them onto the same transponder first (plenty of space since some other local independents are in HD on the big four transponder). I'm inclined to believe it will happen eventually, but probably not in time for fall network premieres.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys