New Hopper Software Has Rolled out (S215, S216, S217)

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A new version of the Hopper software is scheduled to start rolling out tonight. I believe the software will be S214.

The new software will disable "bridging" - should fix the 1303 issues that many have been having (joey looking for Hopper).

Also it should fix the EHD bug – where users are unable to playback events of they no longer subscribe to (e.g. playback HBO movies even though no longer subscribing to HBO) (I know many will be happy about that!)

Many changes to PTAT – ability to choose channels (among the big 4), choose days to record and how many days to keep and delete PTAT events. Also 1.2GB available for all DVR recordings including PTAT. (I am not sure if that is supposed to be 1.2TB I am just posting what I was sent) :)

Below are screenshots of the updated Primetime Anytime!

As always it is expected not everyone will get the new software all at once. There is no way to force the new software to download. When you get the new software please feel free to post that you received it and your thoughts. :)

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys remember we are your Hopper experts! :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• ptat1.jpg
    ptat1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3,913
  • ptat2.jpg
    ptat2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,816
Can you still enable bridging if you need it? Do I really have to connect all 3 of my Hoppers back to the Internet??

Also it should fix the EHD bug – where users are unable to playback events of they no longer subscribe to (e.g. playback HBO movies even though no longer subscribing to HBO) (I know many will be happy about that!)

Many changes to PTAT – ability to choose channels (among the big 4), choose days to record and how many days to keep and delete PTAT events. Also 1.2GB available for all DVR recordings including PTAT. (I am not sure if that is supposed to be 1.2TB I am just posting what I was sent) :)

very cool. sounds like some long awaited fixes are coming through.

I am very happy to see this one fixed...

At Team Summit I met with Mark Jackson and spent over a half hour explaining this bug to him as he didn't understand... then he called over other Echostar employees and had them take notes and he told them he wanted this fixed. Thanks Mark for spending the time with me and listening to my concern and doing something about it! :)

If true my strong suspicion the inability to playback some recordings was not deliberate, even though the DIRT team reported it was. (going on information given to them) When they said all receivers behaved that way, it was obvious this was a bug.

Looks like they are responding to the network's lawsuit. The networks are suing mainly on PTAT since they say it makes a VOD service. Looks like giving the user a lot more control over the recording options will make it look much more like a private use recording rather than a provider performance...

Ohh totally missed the "EHD bug" fix!! If that's true, then Hopper just got even better!

As for DIRT, I remember when one particular member (not naming names) said that they believed that it is normal for recordings of channels not subscribed to to become blocked when you unsubscribe, however that was because they had a 922 that behaved the same way. 722k and below never had such issues, so I just knew that it had to be a bug! However with DRM and crap slowly tightening their vice-grips, I was beginning to wonder...

Got it. It's S215. The DVR percentage used looks a little scary at first, I went from about "33% full" to "45% full," but the amount of free space may have actually increased a little at 698GB free.

3HaloODST said:
That doesn't make sense...

PTA is now included in the 1.2GB User space. At first glance, the DVR summary of showing "percent full" makes it look like you have lost some space because the percentage of the drive in use has increased since the PTA recrordings are in the mix.

The reality is we haven't really lost any space. Now I have 55% of 1.2GB free vs 67% of 1.0 GB free. For non-PTA users this is a win.

Good to hear, look forward to the updates, with many shows in rerun mode will be nice to not keep shows for eight days

Two comments.

1) Making the PTAT recording variable (selectable networks and days) as well as including it in an expanded 1.2GB user partition is GREAT news and responds to many user suggestions here. For example, if you don't use PTAT, you get the space back for your own recordings.

2) Making the PTAT recording variable (selectable networks and days) argues AGAINST the oft-reported statement that a whole transponder is being recorded. Sure, this could be just a GUI change and the whole transponder could be recorded and the Dish execs claiming it's the whole transponder might be right after all. But IMHO, particularly if we're only talking about only 200GB devoted to PTAT, the Hopper is and always has been demultiplexing the transponder into 4 and only 4 channels. This is why we couldn't have any more than 4. This is why Dish can now allow selective recording of network channels. This is why it takes so little room on disk. And (on the plus side and this is really pure speculation) this will allow Dish in the future to give us the opportunity to select any 4 HD networks, and not just the Big Four.

I notice people keep saying 1.2GB user partition, but isn't it 1.2TB (Terabytes?) :D

I haven't checked my Hoppers yet to see if they got the update.

I got the update, and yes the available user space on the hard drive has been upgraded to 1.2TB. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-18 at 6.54.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-18 at 6.54.15 AM.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 566
How does Dish do their updates? In waves or all at once? I am still sitting at S213. Is there anyway to force an update?

Also, someone asked earlier, can you re-enable bridging? When they did my install the other day they just hooked the hopper straight to ethernet and the joey is hooked to just an RG-6. So, it sounds like they disabled bridging my joey is going to be out of luck for getting interent. Does this mean I need a HIC? The bridging was working fine for me.

I'm curious about how the moving of PTAT to the user partition is going to affect the PTAT save to user partion function on the programs we have been saving because we want them seperated from the rest of the PTAT recorded shows.

Sent from my DROIDX

Scott, regarding the EHD do you know if the fix is just for programming that you no longer subscribe to or all programs that didn't work after the transfer? Many of us had that as an issue and in my case I can actually see they transferred but the slider is stuck at the end and I can't start over or resume.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)