New Hopper will not record on all 3 tuners

gjcavana

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
We just had our old Hopper replaced with a new Hopper w/Sling. On our old Hopper if we had 3 programs set to record at the same time it would do just that and use all 3 tuners. When that happened we had to either watch one of the tuners that was recording or watch a recorded program which was fine with us since we watch very little live TV.

Now on this new Hopper w/Sling it will not use more than 2 tuners to record. I assume that this is so we can still watch from the other tuner but we liked it the way it was with the ability to record 3 shows at once.

Does anyone know if this is a feature of the new Hoppers and is there a setting somewhere that i can tell it to use all 3 tuners to record?

We just had our old Hopper replaced with a new Hopper w/Sling. On our old Hopper if we had 3 programs set to record at the same time it would do just that and use all 3 tuners. When that happened we had to either watch one of the tuners that was recording or watch a recorded program which was fine with us since we watch very little live TV.

Now on this new Hopper w/Sling it will not use more than 2 tuners to record. I assume that this is so we can still watch from the other tuner but we liked it the way it was with the ability to record 3 shows at once.

Does anyone know if this is a feature of the new Hoppers and is there a setting somewhere that i can tell it to use all 3 tuners to record?
How long has this hopper been installed?? What is the software version?? Press menu twice.

Ok, so you are out of the 72 hour window, and if you can log into Dishanywhere.com, you would be able to see software version there(usually correct).

When you get home, turn on the TV. Press the red button on the left side of the remote, and see what the tuners say.

Is this during prime time? Do you have PTAT on? If so the. One tuner will be locked to the local channels during those hours and the other two are available for anything else.

Is this during prime time? Do you have PTAT on? If so the. One tuner will be locked to the local channels during those hours and the other two are available for anything else.

Good thought but we have checked to make sure that prime time is disabled for this reason.

IMO this sounds more like a problem with the node or the cabling not being able to handle the triple bandstacking frequencies.

IMO this sounds more like a problem with the node or the cabling not being able to handle the triple bandstacking frequencies.
Thanks for the input. Since I am not familiar with this, do you still think this might be the case even though they never touched the cabling or anything else when they swapped the Hopper box?

Are you seeing an error message on the receiver or listed in the timer that is not firing?

Are you seeing an error message on the receiver or listed in the timer that is not firing?
Nope, no errors at all. Everything seems fine except we can't figure out why we can only record 2 things at a time now. I guess I should say that I can record 3 things if i set the Over the air to record but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

My thinking is, one of the tuners is not getting a satellite signal. That is why I advised to check the TV Viewing Status when you get home.

Reactions: lakebum431
Nope, no errors at all. Everything seems fine except we can't figure out why we can only record 2 things at a time now. I guess I should say that I can record 3 things if i set the Over the air to record but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

I would agree with Chad, but if there was a satellite signal issue with the third tuner you would be seeing the 015 or 002 error message. In the tuner screen when you have two recordings going and no live fed on the third tuner is it showing the third tuner as active?

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I did a lot of playing around last night and I think I figured this out. When we got the new Hopper all the timers needed to be recreated which we are still working on. While creating the timers I was setting the start and end times at 2 or 3 minutes early and late, which I think was the issue because it would hold on to a tuner and not let it start another timer on that tuner until it finished, which would be too late to start the next timer. I reduced the start and end times to 1 minute and all of the conflicts went away and all 3 timers were recording. I figured this out when I opened one of the "Resolve Conflicts" windows and pressed the left arrow to scroll the guide to the previous hour. That's when I noticed that there would be a timer on that tuner for the previous hour.

This was obviously all my doing and I thank everyone for your help!

Thanks to everyone for your replies and suggestions.

I did a lot of playing around last night and I think I figured this out. When we got the new Hopper all the timers needed to be recreated which we are still working on. While creating the timers I was setting the start and end times at 2 or 3 minutes early and late, which I think was the issue because it would hold on to a tuner and not let it start another timer on that tuner until it finished, which would be too late to start the next timer. I reduced the start and end times to 1 minute and all of the conflicts went away and all 3 timers were recording. I figured this out when I opened one of the "Resolve Conflicts" windows and pressed the left arrow to scroll the guide to the previous hour. That's when I noticed that there would be a timer on that tuner for the previous hour.

This was obviously all my doing and I thank everyone for your help!

To me one of the biggest issues with the Hopper is that if you are taping continuous programs on one channel it will use multiple tuners instead of being smart enough to realize it has a tuner already assigned to the channel.

And as stated one of the neatest features is that timers are backed up to the remote. I got a replacement HWS and getting all of the timers back was painless.

Reactions: Jim S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)